Saturday, April 18, 2020

Misery



This building was huge...It would be the second time we'd been here...I was no longer intimidated by it..

Nor the huge conference room either..

I'm Keith Jones, Attorney at law..

I had my arms around my girlfriend..Attorney Beatrice Evans...

 Attorney Sofia Garcia
and her boyfriend, Attorney Kahlil Ahmed were right behind us..

The four of us had gotten up early enough to have breakfast at Sam Mother's place...and now we were here ,not for a trial, not for a litigation, but for a meeting...

Our investigator, Jade Lee met us here..

We walked inside..

Outside on this lovely spring morning..

Our supervisor, Attorney Yvette Jones was kissing her significant other.. Investigator for the D.A.'s office, Gary Lockwood..

 "Thank you for bringing me here baby....I'll see if I can get a ride home with one of the guys.." said Yvette.
"Call me...I'll come and get you and then we'll see if your car is ready at the shop.."said Gary..

They kissed some more..

"You are sooooo good to me.."she said.

"You're good to me." he said and smiled..

A few feet away, another couple were kissing..

''Okayyyyy Dabnis...you have to let me go and calm yourself down..." said Jasmin Jenkins, Attorney at law..

 "The drive back will uh calm me down....Call me..." he said..
"Okayyyyyy." she said..

 "You Turn me on the way you say that.." said Dabnis..
''Everything about me turns you on...Go to work silly.."she said,and hurried inside..






II-

We all met in the conference room.

Assistant District Attorney Karen Page addressed us..

"Good Morning everybody...I am Assistant District Attorney Karen Page of the newly formed Wrongful Conviction Unit.. I am here to review cases,old cases in which a person may have been wrongfully convicted..We are here to right a wrong...I have the authority to hire defense attorneys to retry or review these cases... I have hired you guys..Many of you who have gone up against me in court.. When working these cases we will actually be on the same side.."she said..






She looked at the six of us...and smiled.

We had worked with her Wrongful Conviction Unit several times before as had Olivia and Beverly's team...but we had always crowded into a small conference room at City Hall or in the Courthouse..
This was the first time we were meeting in this huge conference room in this building.


It was a Unit of One...Karen didn't have any staff attorneys...She didn't even have a secretary. She instead chose to work with the best and the brightest Attorneys from the field..

Everyone from the Mayor to the commissioner to the D.A. was pleased with the job she was doing.

She was pleased to be working with competent attorneys who did the research and the leg work and brought her legitimate cases...

''For the case in question, I have a surprise.. A Former Assistant District Attorney who was actually second chair in this case..The Main Prosecutor, Assistant District Attorney Arnold Patch is no longer with us..He died some four years ago, but this person said that she saw so many holes in this case that she felt it was her duty to assist us on this..May I introduce Former Assistant District Attorney, Jasmine Jenkins..

We were all surprised... We were all friends now..but she had had six of her own cases overturned in which she had either knowingly or unknowingly used the same eyewitness to get a conviction..We had helped overturn a few of those cases..

"Hello...I know I am the last person you guys expected to see , but I am trying to atone for a lot of my past mistakes..This wasn't actually one of them...I was second chair and a brand new ADA at the time..but even so...I disputed a lot of what went down during this trial...I'd like to help you."said Jasmine..

 ''She must have gotten religion..She's been atoning for a lot.."whispered Kahlil to me..
I smiled... "Or it could be she's in love and that's what love will do.." I whispered..

"This case has racial overtones to it..and is explosive...Our client is currently on Death Row.."said Karen..

 ''Sofia, Keith are you guys going to be alright?" asked Ms. Yvette... Sofia and I had lost a death row case once before...It had left us both a little shook up..
"I'm going to be fine.."said Sofia..

''Yeah...I'm good." I said..

"Are you sure baby?" asked Bee Bee..
"Well uh you could uh give me some uh ruh personal counseling in your room tonight to make sure.."I whispered..

Bee Bee punched my shoulder..

"You are such a horn dog..." she giggled..

''Well, I'm ready to get started."said Jasmine.

III-

 Gary walked into his office..He was Happy, whistling...That wasn't going to last too long..

He looked over his desk at his paperwork...He was getting ready to file it when his boss, ADA Rockland Cambridge walked in..

"Hey Boss...What's up?" said Gary..

"Hey Gary....Uh got a second?" he said and looked around and closed the door.

Gary hated when someone said this...He knew it was serious..

"What's Up?" asked Gary, who sat down..

"I just had a meeting with  D.A. Garcetti..


.He asked me about my relationship with

Alfreda Johnson, Mother of Beverly West...

He had photos of my visits to Olivia and Beverly's office to see her at lunch and photos of me leaving her apartment complex...

He asked me if my being involved with her compromised any of my cases..."said Rockland..

"You haven't tried a case against Olivia and Beverly in ohhhh two years....and I don't know if I was even working for you then or if you and Alfreda were even dating.."I said.

"That's right....I told him that...and I said even if I was trying a case against them, My relationship with Alfreda has nothing to do with nothing..She's not an Attorney and not privy to their cases...He said fine..


He also mentioned you and your relationship with Yvette...He asked me if it caused any friction between us , you know with her being my ex and all and I said that when you told me about it ,I gave you my blessings..

He then brought up one case...The Hot Rod Harry Case....

"To Answer your question...I did not help Yvette and her attorneys on that case...They were good and Lt. Tragg fouled the case up...In fact...I helped you...That was the first case we worked on together."said Gary...which wasn't exactly the truth..He did hand Ms. Yvette some confidential information...

"Yes you did and I told Garcetti that.."said Rockland..

"I did Tell Yvette that she needed an Investigator to help with her cases and she went out and found Jade Lee...."said Gary...

"You're good Gary, don't worry...What pisses me off is who made the inquiries ..Lt. Tragg… He's on indefinite desk duty and he apparently doesn't have enough to do...I want to ring his neck, but Garcetti

has forbidden me or you to approach him...He said he was just giving us a heads up to watch our backs.. He said Tragg told him we went to New Orleans for Christmas with Liv, Bev, Yvette and the gang..Garcetti told Tragg that what we do on Vacation and when we aren't in the office is none of his business or his either...I'd like to ring Tragg's neck..."said a visibly angry Rockland..

''Don't sweat it Boss...He's just miserable that's all.."said Gary.

In another office...

 "You went to New Orleans for Christmas Break with Olivia, Beverly and her crew and Yvette Jones and her crew...And I seem to recall several cases they have in which they got acquittals recently...Some great police work was done.. Jade Lee is a talented investigator, but she's not that good."said Lt. Tragg.
 "You mean she's not better than you..That's debatable..  I'm tired of you bullying me and my men...Unlike you ,we have real police work to do...If you've got nothing better to do than to follow me around and keep tabs on my love life I pity you.."said a now angry Lt. Danny Ho..

"Let me remind you..I AM THE SUPERIOR LIEUTENANT HERE!" snarled Lt. Tragg who did have seniority because he had held the rank longer...

"Artie, where is the Van Arsdale File and why have I got to track you to Robbery-Homicide ,when you're supposed to be at YOUR DESK?? Several Phone calls were missed.."said Captain Eddie Cantrell..

''AND WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU DOING AT THE D.A.'s OFFICE BOTHERIN THEM THIS MORNING???...YOU WERE PUT ON OFFICE DUTY FOR A REASON...NOW GET BACK TO THE OFFICE AND LEAVE LT. HO and his detectives alone!!" barked Captain Cantrell..

Lt. Tragg was as red as a beet...He stomped his feet and stormed out of the office..

 "Let me know if he gives you anymore problems..."said Captain Eddie Cantrell..
"Thank you sir.."said Lt. Danny Ho.

In our conference room... ADA Karen Page laid the case out for us..She placed a glossy of our client on the table.

"Our Client is Jason Biggs,

 He's facing execution for the murder of an ex-cop's fiancé..."said Karen Page..

"I was a brand new ADA when his case came up....I had just come from the Public Defenders Office...I was using my Public Defender's instincts...I was second chair..from the beginning , there were things about the case I didn't like.."said Jasmine.. In fact, I quarreled with ADA Arnold Patch so much that I was dismissed from the case."said Jasmine.

"What were some of the things you found wrong?" asked Ms. Yvette..

"Well The murder weapon has never been tested for DNA evidence. Requests for DNA testing of crime scene evidence, including of a belt that was used as the murder weapon, have been repeatedly denied by the Pennsylvania Court of Criminal Appeals. And the United States Supreme Court declined to directly review the Pennsylvania courts’ denial of DNA testing in 2018.1. The State’s three forensic experts have admitted on the record to errors in their testimonies, which led to Jason's conviction and death sentence. The three forensic experts from Jason's’s original trial have since submitted affidavits stating that Laura’s original time of death is inaccurate, which makes the prosecution’s timeline of Jason's allegedly killing her implausible.

2. Jason Biggs and Laura Lee Lyles  were having a consensual sexual relationship. At the time of the trial, no one came forward to corroborate their relationship. But today, new witnesses including Stacey’s own cousin and co-worker have corroborated Rodney’s claim that they knew that he and Stacey were romantically involved.

3. Renowned forensic pathologists, including Doc Gibbons, M.D., Werner Speights, M.D., Hazel Baylor, M.D., and Cyril  White, M.D., have all concluded that Jason's guilt is medically and scientifically impossible. The prosecution’s only forensic evidence linking Jason to the crime was semen taken from Laura’s body, which was attributed to the consensual relationship between them. The prosecution used this to connect him to the murder and refute their consensual romantic relationship, but the testimony supporting this theory has since been recanted, completely discrediting the State’s case.

4. For months after the murder, Jimmy Farmer, Laura’s fiancé, was the prime suspect in the case. A recording of one of the police investigators indicates that Jimmy was suspected in Laura’s murder, and he was believed to be motivated by her relationship with another man. 

5. Jimmy’s best friend at the time of the crime,  Sheriff’s Officer Curtis Moody, has now revealed that Jimmy gave an inconsistent account of where he was on the night of the murder. Jimmy had told his friend he was out drinking on the night Laura was murdered. But he later stated he was with Laura in the apartment they shared during what we now know was the actual time of her death, based on Dr. Gibons updated testimony, which contradicts his initial claim. 

When asked to explain this discrepancy, Jimmy declined to testify because his answers might further incriminate him.

6. Two witnesses have recently come forward and submitted signed affidavits that add to the mounting evidence against Jimmy Farmer. These affidavits include testimony from an insurance salesperson who stated that Jimmy threatened to kill Laura while applying for life insurance. The second witness was a Deputy in the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office at the time of the murder to whom Jimmy made an alarming and incriminating statement regarding Laura's body at her funeral.

7. Jimmy later served a 10-year prison term for a sex crime and kidnapping. Law enforcement records also document a pattern of violence against women perpetrated by Jimmy.

8. This case was racially charged. Jason Biggs, a black man, was found guilty of murdering Laura, a white woman, by an all-white jury.9. A confession by Jimmy Farmer has come to light. On October 29, 2019 Arthur Shore, a former member of the Ku Klux Klan and Jimmy’s prison mate, disclosed that Jimmy had confessed to murdering Laura stating, “I had to kill my n*****-loving fiancée,” in a conversation. 

Stated Jasmin..


 ''Wowww, this case is riddled with discrepancies.."said Sofia..
 ''We have our work cut out for us.."said Bee Bee..
 "I have a question for you and I mean no disrespect....Why are you doing this Jasmine? You don't have to....You were second chair and you got kicked off the case..You did nothing wrong.It's not on you.."I said.
"You need closure don't you?" said a sympathetic Kahlil..

"I do!... After that case...I lost my soul... I became ruthless...I became all about the job, getting ahead...I lost who I was...why I wanted to be an Attorney after all..All I wanted was a conviction..I've been in Therapy and I've talked to my pastor at church...I'm trying to be better...I'm trying to right some wrongs in my life...I need to be in on this...It's the only way I'll enjoy practicing law.."said Jasmine..


 Me and Sofia had lost a Capital Case and we needed to get that behind us...We had moved on...but a certain misery followed the two of us...We too needed this case.
 Bee Bee was anxious to be involved and yet, she worried about Sofia and me..She wanted to protect us both...She was a nurturing soul...
 Kahlil felt the same way...
 "I see that as an ADA, you only lost about 3 or 4 cases...You were very thorough and you're a top litigator at your firm...We'd be honored to work with you Jasmine..and get to know you...If Olivia mentored you...I know you're good.."said Yvette, smiling..
We were all moved....ADA Sharon Page said..

"All of you are good...I've gone up against you in court..It will be great to work WITH YOU for a change.." she said and smiled..

"Let's go home relax...and we'll meet up tomorrow and begin.." she said..

 "Good Idea.." I said.
"Yeah.." said Kahlil..

"Ms. Jenkins.."said Bee Bee..

"It's Jazzy...We are all friends here... Olivia gave me that nickname.."said Jasmine..

"You ever at at Sam Mother's? It's not you know like that rooftop restaurant a few weeks ago..but it's decent food.."said Bee Bee..

"Girrrrrrl, Beverly, Kayla and I ate there all through law school, It was all we could afford.."laughed Jasmine.

"Then would you have dinner with us?  Tell Dabnis to meet you there..." said Sofia..

"I'd Love to.." said Jasmine...

 "Am I invited? Vettie, Olivia and I ate there too during law school.." said Karen...
"Small World huh? I would join you, but Gary is taking me to get my car from the dealership.."said Yvette..

We Smiled and broke for the day...

IV-

That night at Gary's house..


Gary's mood was sour..
"So let me get this straight...Lt. Tragg had photos of Rockland at Olivia and Beverly's office and At Alfreda's apartment..."asked Yvette..

"Yeah, no sexy stuff...Just photos of him either entering or leaving.. and he told Garcetti about our Christmas Trip to New Orleans...and asked Garcetti about the Hot Rod Harry Case..." said Gary...

"So you went to New Orleans on Vacation...So what? And So what if Rockland is dating Olivia and Beverly's office manager..? He hasn't tried a case against them in years.."said Yvette..

"Garcetti told him that he had no jurisdiction over our private lives and that as long as it didn't conflict with our work, which it didn't...He wasn't going to take any action against us.. He told Rockland that he was just giving him a heads up that Lt. Tragg was watching us..I don't like it..Why has he got it in for us all of a sudden?" asked Gary..

"Because he's miserable...Now come over here..."said Yvette..

Gary walked over to her...

''See all this ass, all these breasts, these soft lips...Just for you....Why are you worried about Lt. Tragg.?" she asked as they kissed and Gary ran his hands down into her panties..

"Ummmm you make a damnnnn good point...ouuuuuuuuuuu.." he moaned...

"I know I do.." Yvette laughed....


and soon Yvette and Gary were in bed, making sweet love...

 And At our Apartment..
We all sat around talking..

 "I like Jasmine.."said Bee Bee.
 "I do too! She went through a lot, losing her friends..losing herself.. She's trying to make amends.."said Sofia.
 "Anybody can lose their way...It's hard to come back...I respect her.." I said.
"I respect her too..She's good people."said Kahlil..

 "I remember when she was an ADA..A real tough cookie..She's mellowed...Must be your friend Dabnis."laughed Lt. Ho, who was over Bee Bee and Sofia's apartment as were we all..
"I can't get over Lt. Tragg  spying on me and Danny and insinuating that I got help from him and his detectives on certain cases.."said Ms. Jade, laughing..


 "Yeah, Imagine That?" said Bee Bee,laughing..

Jade laughed too!
 ''Yeahhhhhhh."laughed Kahlil.
 "He's soooo miserable.."laughed Sofia.
"Guy needs to get laid.." I laughed..

and just blocks away....

 "How was your day today?" asked Dabnis..
''Very good..I'm on my way to absolution...Total absolution of all my demons.." said Jazzy..

"I'm Happy to be part of all of this...All of you..." said Dabnis..

"Yes...You are..."said Jasmine...

They kissed passionately on the corner of their block...With no idea of what was coming...



(TO BE CONTINUED)



No comments:

Post a Comment