Friday, April 14, 2023

Unchartered Waters

 

9:00 AM-WAITING AREA OF THE COURTROOMS-

It was the first day of the preliminary hearing in  the murder trial of Alvin White...
We sat outside the courtroom...We were prepared to give him a vigorous and robust defense..
We were mainly worried if we had missed anything or if the prosecution had an ace of their sleeve..
We were facing a very good and astute special prosecutor, who hadn't lost in 10 years... Even with a stinker case like this which seemed to rely mostly on circumstantial evidence...She seemed as though she might work a miracle.
"I'm starving...I sure wish they would schedule these preliminary hearings at like 11:00 or 10:00 even so we'd get a chance to eat breakfast.."said Olivia.
"Yeah,me too Auntay..."said Beverly, her niece...
''I'm curious as to how she'll prosecute this.." I said.
"This ADA was very good...I have to give her that...She prepares almost as well as we do, I hear.... ."said Nelson...

"Well in that case, she'd drop these ludicris charges, and see how weak her case is..Here is some coffee's for everyone." said Josie..

Bresha came with more...We really appreciated it...
"Thanks for the coffee, you girls are angels...but it's breakfast I could use.."laughed Olivia..
"Same here, but thanks anyway.."said Beverly.. "How bout you..Alvin, how you doin?" asked Beverly to our client..Alvin White, who was wearing a nicely tailored suit and a great fragrance...


"Huh? Oh....I'm confident in my legal team.." he said.  He had been daydreaming...Daydreaming about early this morning in his hotel room..

Judge Elise Clemmons had brought an overnight bag and had stayed with him since Thursday Night..
It was now Monday Morning.. He woke up...She was already awake and sitting on the side of the bed...
He pulled her to him..
They enjoyed a passionate, early morning kiss...

"UMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM" he moaned... "You smell so good and your skin is baby soft.." he said..

"OUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU"she cooed.. "You are soooooo damn BIG and Hard as a baseball bat, so early in the morning....You just woke up....OUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!" she cooed.

"Look what I'm waking up to, a vision of loveliness." he said.

"You are sooooooooooo smooth...Such a charmer.." she said as she returned his passion...continuing to kiss her..
He slid her panties down....

"You're so slick....I knowwwww  what you're doing.." she said as he slid her panties down and she kicked them off...

"But you're not stopping me..." he said..

"No....I am not.!" she said and they both laughed...
She climbed on top of him and eased herself down on him...gasping...

"OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! OHHHHHHHHHHHHH MY GODDDDDD!! OUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU SO BIG!!! SO DAMN  HARRRRRRRRRRD!
UMMMMMMMMMMMM!" she moaned as she moved up and down and her body trembled!

UMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!  OUUUUUUUUUUUU GIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRL!" he moaned.....
They sat on the side of the bed....Her moving up and down on him, He so delirious, he didn't know if he was coming or going...She crying profusely....and having an intense orgasm....He was so sprung, it wasn't funny!

As they made love one last time......

"OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! OHHHHHHHHHHHHH MY GODDDDDD!! OUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UMMMMMMMMMMMM!" she moaned as they made sweet love..

UMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!  OUUUUUUUUUUUU GIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRL!" he moaned.....

THREE HOURS SLOWLY PASSED BY...

He came so hard, he felt like he was about to die!!!


She gave him one last long ,sloppy kiss!

"Get Up!!! Get in the shower....It's a quarter to seven...Get dressed.....You've got a preliminary today and I've got to go home....I've got a prelim Tuesday....I've enjoyed this weekend with you..." she said.


They took a hot soapy shower together...They took one every night and every morning.....

"So, are we a couple now/" he asked.

"I guess we are....I don't know...Why? do you think you're my boyfriend?" she asked..

"I think I deserve to be.." he said.

"I love your confidence, your swagger...I've never really known anyone like you...Let's take it slow, see how things go..." she said.

"I think I like that...I like it very much..."he said.

"WOWWWW!! Look at you...You're Hard and Big again!!! WOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!! Shame we don't have time to do anything else...Come on...Let's dry up, get dressed.." she said..


"You look better than most of our clients about to go on trial for First degree Murder on the first day of their preliminary hearing." said Olivia, snapping him out of his daydream like state.

"I feel good Olivia." he said..."I feel hopeful about all things." he said.
"You look good...That's a nice suit...Nice shoes..."said Josie.
"Thank you." said Alvin..

"You look like a man in love..."said Olivia with a smile.
"Are you in love Alvin?" asked Beverly..

"I think I am.." he said ,smiling sheepishly...

"Does Elise feel the same way?" asked Beverly...
"I don't know..There is the age difference thing....She's eight or nine years older than me..but that shouldn't matter right?" he said.
"Only Elise can tell you that Alvin.."said Olivia softly..


Nelson and I were having another conversation.


"Hazel said she would rush the results...but it's been three days already and we don't know if Toby Tyler's DNA is a match for  the DNA found at the scene of the crime."said a worried looking and sounding Nelson.
"I'm betting it is...but whether it is or not..We know it's not Alvin's DNA...We know he neither raped or had any consensual sex with the victim...We know another man was there before he got there..Another man Lt. Tragg should be looking at, but probably isn't." I said.
"I've got Hazel on speed dial, as soon as the results come in..She'll text me..."said Bresha.


"Great!" I said.


II-

"Oh Look it's Madam Prosecutor." said Beverly...

Special Prosecutor, Susan Waters walked in with her girlfriend, Kate Stassen, also an Attorney.
She was cordial..She saw us sitting there  and she waved.. They both ,like us had tumblers of Hot Coffee..

"Well tomorrow you start you new job at the Women's Law Center." said Susan Waters..
"Yes and today, I get to watch you work once again." said Kate, smiling..

"Yes..." said Susan Waters...
"Yesssssss" said Kate..

They shared a soft ,slow kiss..



As they sipped their coffee..

We were sitting in a row, drinking coffee and talking..

"I'm confident that we are ready...but I wished we had that DNA report back from Hazel stating that Toby Tyler is a match... I still remember her snippy remarks.."I'll drop the rape charges...but I have no intention of dropping murder charges...plus..this other man could have been an accomplice." and I told her..."If you're going to MAKE that charge...you're going to have to produce a name.." and she said-"You mean you haven't?  Your husband must be slipping. I never wanted to slap someone more than when she said that to me."said Olivia
"Me Neither Auntay....but the important thing was...We know it wasn't you Alvin..We know you didn't have sex with her that night."said Beverly...
"No...I haven't had sex with Cindy in two years...We were just friends, We dated when I'd come up to visit for the summer. I was in law school in Florida, she and I went to American University, where I did my undergrad....I was just coming over there to crash...On the couch...I didn't trust myself..being alone that night.." said Alvin..
"Come on Alvin...The thought of a little Freaky sneaky for old times sake never came up?" asked Josie.
"Welll ahhhhhh er ruh...YEAH!!! It did!" said Alvin, smiling sheepishly..

"Hear that Nelson?" said Bresha..


Nelson smiled slyly... "Yeahhhh, I heard it.!" he admitted...
I smiled..
"Oh Oh...I got a text from Hazel...... Donnie Ray, Guys..We got a match!!!!!!!...Toby Tyler is our guy!!"said Bresha.
"That's what I wanted to hear.." I said.
"Ohhhh My Husband was slipping right? I 'll show her!"said Olivia...
"Yeah...What will she have  to say about this?" laughed Beverly ,high fiving her aunt..
''Well son, we are a step closer to getting you out of this."said Nelson.
"Thank Goddddd!" said Alvin..
"Ohhhhhhhh this feels so good!" said Josie.
"It sure does."said Bresha.


Attorney Kate Stassen walked by us to drop the two empty styrofoam tumblers into the waste basket...
There was something about the way she stared at Olivia, Beverly and Nelson...like she knew them.

"Madame prosecutors girlfriend looks familliar....You recognize her Bev?" asked Olivia.
"Yeah...She worked in the Public Defender's Office with us, years ago." said Beverly....
"Yeahhh that's Katey...Katey Stassin...I thought I recognized her at the restaurant the other day....She worked with us...but back then...She was dating one of the male attorneys..."said Nelson..
I shook my head...

"You guys know everybody..." I said.




Josie and Bresha laughed.

Kate Stassen noticed our good mood..

''Sue Sue..The Defense appears to be very talkative and very happy over there..Look, I know of these guys...They are very good... Olivia and her niece and her niece's husband worked together as Public Defenders for years...




I worked over there too, but they don't remember me...I think the 3 of them won close to 500 cases...Losing only a choice few..under 10..They are viewed practically as gods over at that office to this day..


And Olivia has groomed those two young ladies into fine attorneys...They don't leave any stones unturned..They don't get surprised by much if ever..


"You're treading into unchartered waters with them..They aren't like the many Public defenders you've bullied or other attorneys who were insecure and unsure of themselves once they read your pedigree..." said Kate.
''What are you? A fan girl now?? Get out of here..Find something to do...Go shopping or something..Don't ruin my focus...I can handle them."said Sue Waters, who had a mean streak at times.

"Oh you think so huh?  Good ...I'm out of here." said Kate. "Sometimes you can be such a bitch!" she said as she got up and angrilly stormed out!
"Go!...I'll see you tonight." said Susan.
"I don't think so!" said Kate who tossed her empty cup in the trash can and stormed out angrilly...
"Ouu Ouu...Me Thinks there may be trouble in Paradise."said Beverly..
''Me thinks you're right Neicey Poo!"said Olivia.
"I was emptying our cups in the trash can and I heard them arguing.. It seems girlfriend was heaping too much praise on you guys...She does remember you  and Madam Prosecutor didn't like that...Told her to go home."said Bresha.
Josie smiled..
A Heartbroken Kate Stassen stormed out of the courtroom on tears , just as Lt. Tragg was entering..
He looked at her peculiarly
as he drank his coffee..

An Angry Susan Waters walked over to him...

"Look!  Did you read the Autopsy Report? Have you seen any of the abridged reports?  Now Another man's semen was discovered inside of the murdered girl as well as his fingerprints ,which I know have not been identified..but do you HAVE A NAME???, DO YOU KNOW WHO HE IS??? I DON'T WANT THEM GETTING ONE UP ON ME IN THIS CASE...I NEED TO WIN THIS CASE!"she said,.

"WHAT IS THIS?  You and your girlfriend have a lovers spat and you're taking it out on me? Yes, I read the Autopsy report...I was in your office when Olivia and Beverly brought that DNA report in  and no I do not have a name for the mystery guy she was banging...He's not in VICAP, so I'm assuming he's just a citizen who got laid earlier in the night... You have the killer right over there, laughing and drinking coffee with his lawyers..His bloody palm print and fingerprints are everywhere in her house. He's an ex...She didn't want to get back with him...You got motive and opportunity...That's your case."said Lt. Tragg.

''You had better be right." Susan snarled.


Within Minutes we were in court..


"ALL RISE FOR THE HONORABLE JUDGE MARCELLA PRINGLE!"said the Bailiff

"OLIVIA BENNETT-ALEXANDER FOR THE DEFENSE...I'LL BE ASSISTED BY MY NIECE,
BEVERLY WEST-EAST, HER HUSBAND, NELSON EAST and, JOSIE BOYD AND BRESHA BILLIPS Your honor!."said Olivia.
"I know the Judge...She used to teach law at PENN at one time..While I was a student."said Beverly...
"Always a good thing."said Alvin, smiling at Beverly. Out of all the attorneys on his defense team, he was the closest to Beverly..They talked the most...He thought she was simply beautiful and that Nelson was a very lucky guy to have her.



Nelson, Josie, Bresha and I all stood quietly..
"SUSAN WATERS FOR THE PROSECUTION, YOUR HONOR!" said Susan..
"I know that Judge...We went up against each other when she was an attorney. .She hates me" she whispered..


"I wonder why? Could it be your pleasant personality?" said Lt. Tragg sarcastically.


III-


I had to hand it to her, Susan Waters didn't miss much... She was as well versed in law as we were..


Watching her set up this case and reference it the next THREE DAYS was good education for any law student..

Alvin White, the defendent, but a new lawyer who had recently passed the bar...
Josie, who hadn't been practicing that long..
and Bresha, who had only been practicing a little longer than Alvin all sat and soaked up everything they were learning...


Susan Waters brilliantly laid out her case, the series of events and her theory of just what happened that night... She left out a motive..




which Olivia, Beverly and Nelson hammered home...

Then she dropped a bomb!  She said Alvin frustrated by Judge Elise Clemmons spurning his advances...took his frustration out on poor Cynthia Peterson, an ex-girlfriend who also spurned his attempts to get back with her..

This was so out there...We all appeared shocked..

It was supplied by a co-worker of Cindy's , who was a known gossip.

Josie supplied several counter witnesses who debunked all of this woman's claims....
Bresha supplied several who said she often got the story half right with several facts left out..



Susan Waters presented testimony from the Medical Examiners Office and the Crime Scene Investigators as well as  photos of the crime scene and fingerprint evidence..

She couldn't help but be  impressed with both Josie and Bresha...They reminded her of herself when she was starting out. She thought Olivia, Beverly and Nelson had done a great job grooming them.




Olivia, Beverly and Nelson didn't question any of the Forensic Evidence...but presented an abridged  DNA Report that not only conclusively proved that it was another man's semen inside of Ms. Peterson, but that the semen belonged to Toby Tyler, who had a romantic history with Ms. Peterson, who she had filed a Restraining Order against as well as a Cease and Desist Order  and who called her 25 times ,the day after he was released from jail and whose prints were also in Ms. Peterson's house..


This was the first surprise Susan Waters had had... Up until now, she knew there was another man involved because we had told her...but she didn't have a name, nor did she know about this man's record with Cynthia Peterson...She only knew about Alvin White... She called for a continuance...


"NO!" said Judge Pringle..."You've had ample time , the same amount of time as the defense to prepare for this case...Call your next witness or be prepared to make your closing arguments tomorrow...Due to the lateness of the hour...I'm adjourning trial for today!" said Judge Pringle...
She angrilly glared at Lt. Tragg....

"THIS IS YOUR FAULT.....I TOLD YOU...I IMPLORED YOU TO GET ME A NAME OF A SUSPECT!!! HOW IS IT, OLIVIA'S HUSBAND, DONNIE RAY, WHO HAS LESS RESOURCES THAN YOU, FOUND THE SUSPECT, GOT HIS DNA AND A MATCH AND YOU HAD NO CLUE AS TO HIS NAME! HUH??? HE USED TO BE A HOMICIDE DETECTIVE..MAYBE HE CAN GIVE YOU A FEW POINTERS LIEUTENANT!!" she said, livid at what had just happened.

"AHHHHHH STUFF IT IN YOUR BRASIERRE BABY!" snarled an angry Lt. Tragg.

After the hearing..
"Well I think we did pretty good these past three days...She didn't show me anything I think we should be worried about." said Olivia.
''We might win this in the preliminary. Wouldn't that be something?" said Beverly.
"The times she has gone to trial...She has NEVER lost in a preliminary...NEVER!"said Nelson..
''Well from the looks of things , she could be headed for her first.." said Josie.
"Just imagine this in front of a jury at this point."said Bresha.,
"This arrest should have never been made.. They have no motive and it's clear they didn't check his alibi." I said.


Susan Waters couldn't help but be impressed by Olivia Bennett-Alexander, 
who graduated from law school a year before her and who had been practicing almost as long as she had and had started her own private practice around the same time she started hers..  


She had groomed her niece, Beverly and her niece's husband, Nelson into formidable attorneys and it showed...They had all gained her respect and a little bit of admiration for the job they had done so far..

Katie had been right about them. She was sorry she had snapped at Katie...Who she met when Katie was a Public defender.....Katie was one of those Public Defenders she had bullied and defeated a couple of times in courtroom battles...They became a couple shortly after their last battle in court over tequilla in Curley's Bar...She had a mean streak...She tended to take her frustrations out on Katie when she was involved in a particularly difficult case like this one...She had to stop that before she lost Katie for good.. She loved her...


We decided to drive to the Bridge Building for lunch with our friends... I checked our SUV for bugs...There were none this time..I drove to the Bridge Building and parked in a parking lot down the street from it...Just in case I missed one and we walked to the building..

We had lunch in their modern cafeteria with our friends..

"Liv,it's always extra special when you come to visit me...I so missed our lunches together when we both worked downtown."said Yvette Jones-Lockwood.
"I did too! I'm so glad you're in a nice building with a cafeteria."said Olivia.
''So Am I." I said.  The Food here was good.

'So You Have Judge Marcella Pringle eh? She's tough but fair."said Keith Jones..
"She lectured us when we were in law school..All four of us."said Bee Bee.
"She was my favorite..Next to Ms. Yvette and your Auntie Olivia...Our Auntie too!  She really prepared us for life as an actual lawyer out in these streets."said Sofia.
"Yeah ,she was the absolute best...We love her Beverly...You got a good judge."said Kahlil.

"Yeah she used to teach law..When I was in law school and she also had a practice too..I don't know if she remembers me..but I definitely remember her.."said Beverly..
"It's been three days and so far,everything has been breaking our way and that's rare."said Nelson.

"Rare for us too!" said Jade.

Virginia and Jetty, Josie and Paris, who was working here now as a para-legal and Bresha and her attorney husband, Tony,also working here were glad to be reunited...They were kissing passionately..
Not worried about eating.










"This is so cool, all of you working in the same building...So Far away from things." said Alvin..
"Yeah it's away from everything, but we like it....We have each other...We have a modern gym upstairs..This great cafeteria and not the temptation to spend as much money as we did when we were all in Center City."said Dabnis..
"We'll be in court tomorrow to testify on your behalf."said Dabnis's wife, Jasmine "Jazzy" Coley.
"Yeah..We'll be down after breakfast."said Kayla.
"It's not tomorrow.. The Prosecution closes tomorrow...Liv and Bev begin their defense, the day after."said Ray.
"Good because I have a court appointment tomorrow morning..Got to file a brief.."said Jessica.
"That's right...We do."said Chip.
''We have a brief to file too..I'll go with you Jessica."said Natalie..
"Yeah Me too!"said David.
"Looks like the five of us will be in court tomorrow."said Brooke.
''Wow! Busy"said her husband..Sean.
"They save me soooo much legwork!"said Karen Page, their supervisor..




Another more heated exchange was going on at Police Headquarters..
"I WANT HIM OFF THE CASE!!" screamed Special Prosecutor, Susan Waters , who wasn't winning any popularity contests with the police.
"Look, he made the arrest and you're in the third day of trying this case...You're almost done..Aren't you a little late for this?" said Captain Eddie Cantrell..

"I WANT HIM OFF THIS CASE...THIS IS JUST THE PRELIMINARY AND HIS INVESTIGATION IS SO SHODDY, I'M WONDERING HOW CHARGES WERE EVEN BROUGHT!!! WHEN TRIAL BEGINS NEXT WEEK...I DON'T WANT HIM ON THIS CASE....HE'S ALREADY FOULED THIS CASE UP ENOUGH! NOW aRE YOU GOING TO TAKE HIM OFF OR NOT CAPTAIN?? I ASKED HIM TO RECANVASS THE CRIME SCENE...YOU KNOW WHAT HE TOLD ME? YOU KNOW WHAT HE TOLD ME?? HE SAID ""AHHHHHH STUFF IT IN YOUR BRASIERRE BABY!"  " Susan screamed.
"OKAYYY!!! OKAYYY!!! , JUST STOP SCREAMING!! YOUR VOICE IS GIVING ME A GOTDAMN HEADACHE!!! If you want him off..He's off.."said Captain Cantrell..


"The D.A.'s Office have investigators....Hopefully we have one who can reopen this case and get me the information I need." she said angrilly, storming out..


IV-

WOMENS LAW CENTER-THE OFFICE OF KATE STASSEN
Katie looked at the two bouquets of roses that arrived for the past two days...They were from Susan..
She always sent roses after one of their quarrels.


She called three times.. Katie refused to answer.


THE NEXT THREE DAYS-

Was our turn at defense...We established an alibi..




Olivia and Beverly used the GPS Tracking device on his smartphone and Smartwatch to track Alvin's every movement for every time zone for the day of the murder..


Nelson presented Credit card and Debit card information to back up his every movement up until quarter to two when he was last seen...

Josie presented as witnesses, Jazzy, Dabnis, Kayla , Ray, Jessica, Chip, Brooke, Sean, Natalie, David, Paris and Tony. All seasoned Attorneys , except Paris, a para-legal, All testifying to the fact that they saw and were in the company of Alvin White at least until 1:45 when they left the bar.. He was still there on the phone...His phone call being documented as being from 1:40-1:47 am. Time of death being from between  2:00-2:45 AM.













Susan Waters did her homework and did it well.. 

"You all are associates of one another, you all work in the same building...The Bridge Building I believe and you all live on the same block...You're close associates of the defense and two of you are the spouses of two of our defense attorneys here....You do know that perjury is a serious offense and for attorneys even more serious...It could lead to disbarment." she said. It was a cheap stunt , A cheap form of intimidation...A stunt that did not work on seasoned attorneys who stuck to their story...She couldn't break  one of our witnesses...You could see the frustration and consternation on her face..

"My Husband and I drove the distance from Aqua Bar to Ms. Peterson's house...We drove during the daytime, obeying all of the lights and it took us 55 minutes."said Bresha.
"Then we drove at night...when there was hardly any traffic and still obeying all of the stop lights..We got there in 45 minutes."said Tony..

"Meaning that there is no way my client could have driven from Aqua Bar and Ms. Peterson's house and strangled and killed her in the time alotted..My client was telling the truth...Someone else was there and killed her in that time and left...She was dead when he arrived.. I think she opened the door, thinking it was my client and it was someone else....Mr. Toby Tyler, who we know had sex with her in that short period of time...I think you should be looking at Mr. TOBY TYLER, or anyone else other than my client. The Defense rests your honor."said Olivia staring at Susan Waters.
Susan looked as if she'd swallowed a canary..In Three Days, we had decimated whatever prosecution she had...She had nothing more and she knew we knew it.

She tossed and turned all night that night...


THE NEXT MORNING- 10:00 AM-COURTROOM D


"I don't see any compelling evidence here that this young man should have even been arrested...Had his alibi been properly checked...None of us would be here...There is no evidence that he committed this crime and for that reason...I am going to dismiss all charges against him....And young lady...You've been around for many years....You know better than to waste the courts time with a case, EVEN YOU could see was ridiculous from the beginning....Don't waste my time or the courts time with this ever again!" said Judge Pringle.


"OUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!" screamed Susan Waters , who took her legal briefcase and roller and stormed out of the courtroom...LIVID!!!!!It was her first loss in 10 years and her first loss ever in a preliminary hearing...She was livid!
Alvin hugged Olivia and kissed her softly on the cheek...

"You are a miracle worker...You're worth whatever I have to pay you." he said.
"Your Father paid us already....He didn't want you to know until after the trial."said Olivia, smiling.

I passed him an envelope..

"Your Dad wanted you to have this....He told us to wait until after trial...He was confident we could get you off." I said, smiling..

"Oh wowwwwwwww!" said Alvin, opening and reading the contents of the envelope.

"It's a job offer." was all he would say.
" That's Great News Alvin....This trial ended a lot sooner than we thought....In the Prelims....Go out..Have some fun tonight Alvin.Celebrate!" said Beverly, who he also hugged...
"You too Bev! Hope you didn't mind Nelson.."he jokingly told Nelson, whose hand he shook.
"Nah, just don't hug and kiss me."said Nelson as both men laughed..
"Congratulations Alvin...I told you we'd get you off.."said Josie.

Alfred and Josie hugged a little longer than was expected....

"God Bless you Alvin.."said Bresha.

"Thank you Bree.."said Alvin, who hugged her also.

''Alvin, someone is here for you..." I said. It was Judge Elsie Clemmons.
"Hello Lover." she said,.
"Hello Girlfriend!" he said.

They Kissed passionately.....

"UMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM YOU FEEL SO GOOD!" said Alvin...

"So Do YOUUUUUUU!" said Judge Else Clemmons...

"Young Lady, I am so glad to see you doing well, Partnered with your Auntie in a law firm...." said Judge Pringle to her former student, Beverly West... How  is your cousin Kayla doing and your friend Jasmine? It was nice seeing them in court the other day....The three of you look like such fine young ladies..." asked Judge Pringle.





"They are doing fine...They work at the same law firm in the Bridge Building and they both live across the street from my aunt and I." said Beverly...
"Excellent ! And Kudos to you ,Mrs. Olivia...I thoroughly enjoyed watching you and your associates take that little troll apart during this trial... I was the last person to beat her during a trial...10 years ago, when I was still a practicing attorney....So glad and so satisfying to see you take her down a notch also!"said Judge Pringle to Olivia.
"She had a bit of an attitude..We went to her with information, information we presented in our defense and asked her to drop the charges...She not only refused....She took a personal shot at me...So my niece and I were more than motivated to take her down."said Olivia.


'Well how do you like that?" I said.
''She had history with the Prosecutor...but you would have never of known it.."said Nelson..
"Tough , but fair...I like that."said Josie..
"It was ten years ago...I think she was over it." laughed Bresha.
"My dad offered me a job with his firm as an Associate Attorney , I think I'm going to take it. I know it's Nepotism." said Alvin...
"By all means take it.. You're going to need a steady salary to take me out on dates.. and to rent a room down the shore with me." joked Elise.
"Ouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu I do feel like your boyfriend..." he laughed as they kissed passionately...

"YESSSSSSSSSS! YOU ARE OFFICIALLY MY BOYFRIEND!!!!" she said laughing in between kisses...



EPILOUGE-

Toby Tyler's prints and DNA not only turned up in the strangulation and rape death of Cynthia Peterson....but also in the Murder of our other case, Faith Grudin.... Both Faith, defended successfully by us and Alvin White, also  defended successfully by us were arrested and charged by Lt. Tragg, who did not read the autopsy reports or look at the DNA findings in either case...


Homicide Detective Sgt. Brice and Detectives Reed and Malloy arrested Toby Tyler and faced with DNA and Fingerprint evidence against him, confessed to raping and murdering Cindy Peterson two nights after being released from jail and to shooting and killing  Atif Rogers and robbing him of $5000.00 for which Faith Grudin had been accused and put on trial for a month earlier.

It was vindication for both of our clients...

Toby Tyler was convicted of both murders, rape and robbery and given the Death Penalty.

It was good news for us...

Both Faith Gruden and Alvin White put us on retainer as a result of their acquittals....

We all relaxed and took a few days off after the second trial, crossing our fingers and praying no one else called on us...
"It'll be nice having a few days off..I've got some shopping to do...I've got a few bathing suits to buy...Rockland wants to go down the shore this weekend.."said Alfreda.
as we sat around the table....
"It's kind of cool Freda...but I imagine you'll be wearing them indoors."laughed Olivia.
''We all should go someplace..Like Nelson's Beach house." I said.
"Yeah....it's big enough to fit..Our group and Yvette's group, but what about the others/" asked Beverly..
"They could call and see if any of the Beach Houses are open...There are several vacancies..We are talking about five houses maybe..."said Nelson..
"If you guys are down...I'll call them up. Get the ball rolling." said Josie.
"Ouuuu cool..."said Bresha.

"If you get them to go along...We'll go with you guys."said Alfreda.




Special Prosecutor , Susan Waters , stung from not only losing for only the second time in ten years , but in a preliminary, something she had never before done...Talked long and loud to the press..

"Lieutenant Arthur Tragg is the absolute worst detective on the Philadelphia Police Force... He goofed up in two straight cases...Arresting the wrong suspects and overlooking the Autopsy Reports and abridged DNA reports...He never read the reports, he never checked the alibis of Faith Gruden and Alvin White and as a result wasted the time of two prosecutors, the courts and valuable police time..
The Investigator for the Defense, and Three Detectives of lesser ranks actually captured the right man, a one man crime wave, who if he had been captured earlier, a young woman might still be alive...He is a disgrace! A total disgrace, That's why I had him removed from the case, but it was too late.. I take nothing away from Olivia and Beverly and their talented team...They are great attorneys...They have certainly won my respect....but with Lt. Tragg making the arrest they had to be laughing the entire trial...THEY KNEW THEY HAD A VICTORY!" she said..

She spoke loudly to a Press Conference..
And on HARD BOTTOM!


As a result Lt. Tragg went before an Internal Affairs advisory board on both cases....


He was sent to the Marine Boat for 60 days as a result...He was livid...He vowed to get revenge on Susan Waters if it was the last thing he did.....

SAM MOTHERS DINER-

Susan Waters sat by herself, drinking coffee..
"You look like you could use another cup of coffee and someone to drink it with you."came the voice of Attorney Kate Stassen..
"I could....Hi Katey....How's the new job...It's been a week huh?"said Susan, who was glad to see Kate..
"It's very good...You have got to come down and see my office..it's very nice...I have a veiw of the alley." she laughed..  Both women laughed..
"Katey, I'm Sorry ..you were right...You were right about everything....Olivia and Beverly and their crew were very good just like you said.. They weren't afraid or intimidated in the least bit  and they were well prepared , as prepared as I was...I should have been more cautious and not so headstrong...My ego and arrogance got the best of me..My arrogance and swagger, all the things that make me a great attorney, makes me a bad person...and I'm sorry."said Susan...

"Sue Sue.. you had me at I'm sorry." said Kate..

as her coffee arrived...

The two women shared a soft passionate kiss..


FOR SASHA C.


No comments:

Post a Comment