Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Been Awhile

 48 HOURS LATER-

This was indeed a special Morning..

 Beverly came up and she and Olivia prepared breakfast...It had been awhile since we had eaten Breakfast in....and not gone out to eat!

 Pancakes
 Hash Browns
 Cheddar Omelettes
 Sausages
 Hot Coffee
and fresh squeezed Orange Juice..
 I remembered how lucky I was to be married to a very attractive and sexy attorney who could also cook..
 Nelson felt the same way...
 Josie was here
 As was her boyfriend, Paris..
and our office manager Alfreda..

It was a nice, quiet breakfast....There were no problems and seemingly no big cases on the horizon or so we thought...

The day hadn't started good yet...

 We all washed and dried and put away the dishes and then walked downstairs to our office...

We opened our office a little late today...It didn't matter, nothing was pending..

Olivia looked at our bills and began paying them on line..
I helped Beverly file away old case files..
After we finished that..she checked our logs to see if we had anything pending..We didn't..Which was just the time that something major came up..
Nelson helped us out with the filing away of old case files.. This actually helped Alfreda...Who had made sure we had fresh fruit and water ready in case someone was coming today...
We didn't know it, but someone was on their way to our office as we sat there..
The bell rang...

"I knew we couldn't have a totally quiet day.."said Josie..

"I'll get it."said Alfreda..



It was Assistant U.S. Attorney Brendan Burnside..Upon seeing Alfreda , he was all smiles..

"Well Good Morning..I must say...between Beverly and Josie and whoever you are..Olivia keeps beautiful women around her...My My Myyy....Excuse me..I'm Assistant U.S. Attorney , Brendan Burnside..I'd like a word, with Olivia and Beverly...It's of the utmost importantance.." he said..

 Alfreda giggled like a school girl...She found Brendan Burnside very handsome and very attractive...

"I'm the office manager, Alfreda Johnson... Funny you would mention Beverly...That's my daughter.." she laughed..

"That's where she gets her beauty from...You're Liv's sister?" he asked..


''Oh nooo...but Olivia's older brother is Beverly's father..We aren't together anymore.." she explained..

"His loss ! This is my uh future son in law and that's still debatable right now..." he said angrilly..
"Pleased to meet you." said Lancaster ,looking like a schoolboy who had to serve detention and had to explain why to his mother..

Alfreda laughed.

''Come on in, I'll take you to them.."said Alfreda, still smiling...

She brought them in to us..
''Brendan, how are you? It's been what, two days? And it's been awhile since you visited our office" laughed Olivia..
'
''Hey man..Let me guess, they want me and my band to perform again at another gig?" I joked.. I knew if he was here with Lancaster ,it was far more serious than that..
"Goofball!" laughed Beverly, playfully punching my shoulder....
"Heyyyy that's your name for me.."joked Nelson, laughing..

"I love you both! That's my nickname for both of you.."said Beverly, smiling...
"Hi Brendan.."said Josie..

"Well I'll let you guys get to your business."said Alfreda, smiling and stepping out..

II-
 He placed a glossy on the table..
 Her name is Alexa..Alexa Orson...She's from New York...Apparently Lancaster knew her when he was in law school in Capetown, South Africa..." said Brendan..
''She was at the Bridal shower.." said Beverly..
'Yes..I remember seeing her.."said Josie..
"Yeah I saw her too...She was talking to uh..Lancaster shortly and then she left.."said Nelson..

''Yeah, well she was shot to death hours after she left...I have it on good word from a friend of mine at Police Headquarters that Lancaster here is about to be indicted on First degree murder charges..He was seen leaving the room of this woman and the gun found on the floor near the body is regisitered to him...He's going to need a lawyer or two..I can't think of better lawyers than you guys..He's many things..A liar, a philanderer and a cheat...but he's no murderer...At least I DON'T THINK HE IS!"said Brendan Burnside giving him the serious side eye..

 "I knew her in South Africa and in uh New York briefly before I came here...She was Blackmailing me...To the tune of 25 large...I borrowed the money from a friend and I called her and told her I was coming with the money..That was around 11:30....she told me she was up and to bring it..I got there a little after midnight...and I rang the bell...There was no answer...The door was open and I walked in and there she was on the floor dead..and my gun....The gun I gave her in New York for protection was lying next to her...It was still hot..It had been fired and I must have just missed whoever killed her..I wiped my prints off the gun, but left it there and I got the hell out of there.. I returned the money I borrowed back to my "friend" and I went home and was there with Renee the rest of the night..That's the truth...I swear...I didn't kill her.." said Lancaster..
"Okay...we need time to sort this out.. I suggest you find someplace to stay...A hotel room..Use your real name..and just sit tight until we can properly investigate this.."said Olivia..

 ''Too late for that Auntay..."said Beverly looking out the window..
 "We got company Liv!" sighed Nelson..
"Ohhhhh for the love of Pete...HIM!   AND NOW!" said a clearly irritated Olivia.

 Two police cars facing the opposite direction were in the middle of the street..  Lt. Tragg and four uniformed police offers knocked on the door..
 Alfreda answered the door..she sighed..

"I hope you have a warrant! " she said..
 "Oh indeed I do...Now if you would step aside ." he said and he and his four officers walked into our conference room..

"Nice joint you got here Liv...It always smells so nice and looks so nice... I've never seen your upstairs residences." said Lt. Tragg snidely..


 "One day I'll give you the grand tour maybe.."said Olivia sarcastically...
 Beverly was surprisingly stoic..She said nothing..
 I didn't say anything either..
 Nor did Nelson
Nor Josie..

''What's the matter..Cat got your staff's tongue Liv? Even Niecey poo is quiet today... I have with me, a warrant...All you lawyer types can read it"...He said and passed it around to us...We knew it was legit!

"It is for the arrest of one Lancaster Brown..for the murder of Alexa Orson, two nights ago... I've got the murder weapon, a .40 caliber pistol registered to him....and one eyewitness who gave us a pretty accurate description of him fleeing the scene. and on her phone...Her last call was to...wait for it guys... HIM!... I think I have enough...Hook him up boys."said Lt. Tragg..

The four policemen handcuffed Lancaster and read him his rights..


''You know , you have a lot of circumstantial evidence...Let's not rush to judgement here Lieutenant.."said Assistant U.S. Attorney Brendan Burnside..

"I think not sir...It's funny...It was easy to trace him here...These guys represented your niece about five or six years back...So I figured, who better to represent her fiance...Looks like I was right."said a smiling Lt. Tragg..

 "Wowwwww he did some detective work" whispered Beverly to Olivia..
"Yeahhh how about that?...I'm almost impressed." said Olivia to her niece.

"You're making a mistake...I didn't kill her... I swear, I didn't do this...I'm guilty of much, but not murder...I swear.."said Lancaster, who was now in tears...

"Tell that to your lawyers...Maybe they'll believe you...Let's go." said Lt. Tragg, who smiled and looked at Olivia...

"Nice place you got here Liv...Real nice set up....Oh and Ms. Alfreda..always a pleasure to see you again.." he said and laughed smugly as they left..

 Olivia didn't say a word...
"I'd like to see that smug smile knocked right off of his face.."said Alfreda..

"Don't worry Ma...We will...We always do." said Beverly, who wanted to win this case more than ever.






III-

 Brendan Burnside sighed..

"My niece was doing so well over the years ,since you guys repped her and got her out of that trouble.She went to Community College and got an associates degree..She worked at a supermarket the whole time.. I watched her son, Justin...He's eight now..a big boy.. She then went to the school of design and graduated with a four year degree and she became a buyer for Bridget Jones..Got her and Justin a larger place..a real nice place and bought a car...I was happy for her..The she met HIM!

All I know about him is he was  in law school in South Africa..He graduated and then was in New York City for awhile working in the Garment district..He couldn't practice here with a South African Law degree..He had to pass the bar..He took the bar in New York and failed it..Then he matriculated here to Philly...he met my niece and they started dating...she put him through school at community college and he has a Para-legal certificate...

She begged me to hire him...I told her we have plenty of Attorneys, Para-Legals and Investigators...but she begged and and I hired him...He did alright..Came to work on time, every day..never missed a day and moved in with her..

Next thing I know...They're engaged... She kept pushing him to take the bar...I KEPT PUSHING HIM TO TAKE THE BAR...he said he was...but he never got around to it..." he sighed..
 ''What is his South African connection?" I asked.
 "Yeah and who is this girl? what is she to him?" asked Nelson..


"Damn if I know...From what I can ascertain...She was an ex girlfriend he knew when he was in Capetown Law school.."said Brendan..

''She had to be more than that...she was blackmailing him for 25 large ..He said that..She had something on him and if we are going to defend him..We have to know...We have to know everything."said Olivia..

"Well then you're going to have to explain that to him.."said  Brendan Burnside..
"She was talking to him at the Bridal Shower and whatever she said to him...His whole mood changed..He looked like he was sick.."said Beverly..
"Yeah, I noticed it too..Right after she left...He sat in a corner and looked like he wanted to cry.."said Josie.

 "Was she pregnant?" asked Nelson..
"You know...I thought that....but I went to the M.E.'s Office, immediately after I heard he might be indicted and checked...She was not pregnant!" said Brendan Burnside..

''Well, that's good to know.." I said.

"Thank You guys for looking into this..Give me a bill after this is over..I'll pay his legal fees and if he gets reasonable bail...I'll pay it."said Brendan..

IV-
 FOUR HOURS LATER-

Lt. Tragg sat across the desk from Lancaster Brown..
 "Look...We got an eyewitness that saw you fleeing the scene and a weapon ..the murder weapon registered to you..We got you cold..Why don't you save the taxpayers the cost of a trial...? Come on..Let me try and help you out.."said Lt. Tragg..
 "You must think I fell off the Banana Boat this morning...YOU?? HELP ME?? Ha...that's a joke..I'm not sayin a damn thing until my attorneys get here.."said Lancaster..
 "They can't help you...Not on this one..So you might as well just write me a  confession-"said Lt. Tragg, who was cut off..
 ''Why would he do that ,if he's innocent.?" asked Beverly...

"OH FOR THE LOVE OF PETE!" said a frustrated Lt. Tragg
 ''Yes..My niece asked a good question... and why are you frustrated? You knew we we were coming.. You arrested him in our office,."said Olivia..

Lt. Tragg stomped his foot and stormed out of the room,slamming the door..

 ''He's going to give himself a case of Agita one day." laughed Beverly.
"I didn't say anything guys, except that I'm innocent...I didn't kill her...She was dead when I got there."said Lancaster.
 "Say nothing more...We got you a late arraignment.."I said..
 "Judge Judy Wong...We tried a case in her court before.."said Nelson..
 "Yeah...She's not Judge Reynolds, but she's fair.."said Josie..

"Yes, your arraignment is in an hour, it's the last one of the day...so get ready." said Olivia..
 The others waited inside the courtroom...I pulled Olivia inside the judges chambers..
 "I know we only have an hour before court, but I had to kiss you.."I said softly..
 "With the possible exception of Judge Crawford...I've never known a man as horny for me as you.."she said, smiling
 and kissing me passionately....
 "Oh...well I uh am sorry..." I said in between kisses..
 ''Don't be sorry...I've never been as horny for a man as I am you either.." she said..
and we continued to kiss for a few more minutes!

 TWO HOURS LATER..

We were in a courtroom...It was 2:30 pm...One of the last arraignments of the day...

Judge Judy Wong..He niece had tried and lost a case against us...I don't know if that gave us and advantage or not..



 Olivia and Beverly stood with our client arguing eloquently that he did not present a flight risk, That this was his first offense that he was a para-legal in the federal court system and that this was all a big mistake which would be proven when this came to trial if not sooner.
 For his part..Lancaster looked as humble and contrite as any suspect I'd ever seen...
 Nelson whispered to Josie..

"He didn't need much coaching."
 She smiled..

"No, sure didn't...Maybe if he doesn't make it as an attorney, he might go into acting." she whispered..
I agreed, the three of us smiled..

Lt. Tragg sat with a familliar ADA..


ADA Abigail Sleet.. He had slid his hands up her dress, the last time they were in court and she had slapped him so hard, he left his seat and fell , striking his head on the table.. She also had a restraining order out on him..

"Touch me and I swear, I'll slap you silly." she whispered to him..

 "YOU DON'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT THAT!" said an angry Lt. Tragg, still angry that she'd embarrassed him twice...In Sam Mother's Diner she had slapped him and in court...and to add insult to injury,she had a restraining order out on him...
 ''Good." she said.

She argued that because of the severity of the crime , he should indeed be kept  behind bars...
Judge Wong must have liked our argument better...She set bail at $5000.00

 Assistant U.S. Attorney ,Brendan Burnside wrote a check for $500.00 and passed it to the Bailiff..
 And Lancaster Brown was a free man..

"Brendan, I swear...I'll pay you back every penny.."said Lancaster..
"Oh you bet your ass you will.." he said as we all walked out of court together..

 "Come On Let's Get some food...At our uh AWAY place.."said Olivia..
 "Most definitely Auntay...I don't feel like getting into it with him today." said Beverly..
 "Oh thank you guys for representing him and getting him out."said Renee.
 She and Lancaster kissed passionately...
 "I'm not out the woods yet bae..but this is a start."said Lancaster..
 "Yeah, let's go get some food and try to sort this whole thing out.." I said..
 "Yeah.." said Nelson..
 "Our other place huh?" said Josie..
 The smug smile that had been on Lt. Tragg's face before was now gone...He was livid..
"Did you piss her off too? Tell me you didn't stick your hand up under her skirt years ago and try to feel her panties?" said ADA Sleet angrilly as she grabbed her briefcase and walked out of the courtroom..


"I don't believe it!" he said and stormed out of the courtroom..

But this time, a Judges decision had nothing to do with him!

 Brendan Burnside stayed...

''Hello Judith...It's been awhile huh?" he said.
"Hello Brendan...Yes it has....How have you been? she asked..
She remembered when she had just passed the bar and was clerking for him by day and loving him a long time at night..

That was years ago,...but it had been a pleasurable experience for both... A bittersweat , but pleasurable experience for both..

He was married, seperated and going through a divorce..She was young, single..


 They'd buy a bottle of Saki and retreat to a hotel in Chinatown..
and make insane love until the wee hours of the morning..

How far they both had come...He was an Assistant United States Attorney now and she was a Judge..

They both smiled sweetly at each other and she sighed dreamily!
We headed to our Diner in Camden for a early dinner..

This case was just beginning..

(TO BE CONTINUED)






No comments:

Post a Comment