Thursday, August 6, 2020

A Little Thing Like Murder

 ''YOU WANT ME TO WHAT? DRIVE YOU TO TAKE THE BAR EXAM? YOUR PRELIMINARY HEARING IS TOMORROW!  YOU'RE ABOUT TO GO ON TRIAL FOR MURDER!!! OR DID YOU FORGET?" said a totally flabberghasted Attorney, Beverly West-East.
 "I know...I know..but I have been really studying hard for the bar the past month and my tutor,

 Dabnis Coley couldn't have been better...but he has a court date today and his wife ,

Jasmine has a big deposition...I uh don't have a ride and if I don't take it today...I'll have to wait until next year...I need to be an attorney Bev, I swear.."pleaded  Lancaster...
 "I know it's bizzarre...but he needs to do this Beverly.."said his fiance,  Renee.
 ''This will be one for the books...A guy passes the bar and goes on trial for murder the next day...Incredible... Bev, go ahead and take him.."sighed Olivia..
 "I hope he passes...He didn't take it in South Africa , took it in New York and failed it..Maybe he'll do better here." I said.
 "Whether he took it in South Africa or not...He'd still have to take some form of it here to practice."said Nelson..
 ''Wow! Like when we went to London, we all had to take a short exam.."said Josie..
 "I understand you got yours earlier this year Josie.?" asked Orlando..

"Yeah under a lot more relaxed conditions...I wasn't on trial for murder.." said Josie..
 "Okay!  after breakfast...let's go...Good Luck to you...But I'd hate to take this test under this kind of pressure."said Beverly...
 We were eating breakfast at Sam Mother's diner..
 Omelettes to order..
 Hash Browns
 Breakfast Sausages
 Orange Juice..
 Coffee
Lt. Tragg walked in , just as Beverly , Lancaster  and Renee were leaving...




 "And where are those three heading, if I may ask?" he said..
 "The Second and final Bar Exam is today...You did know he has a law degree from the University of South Africa didn't you?  He has to pass the bar here in order to practice law in the United States...Beverly is taking him to take the Bar Exam.."said Olivia..
"WHATTTTTT?  I suppose, he wouldn't let a little thing like murder stop him from passing the bar and becoming an Attorney, just so he can be convicted and be disbarred....but far be it from me..I'm just a cop.." he said.

He didn't know that Lancaster had a law degree...He knew surprisingly little about the man he had arrested and charged with murder.
 "This is true.."said Nelson...
 Josie smiled..
 "You guys locate Maceo Artell yet?" I asked..

"No, but I have men at the Airport, The Bus stop, The Train Station and Penns Landing...I've alerted the Stateys and the Feds and his photo is circulating... I've got people tracking his credit and debit cards...We'll get him.I don't know why you care...He's a witness for the prosecution...He puts your guy at the scene with gun in hand..."said Lt. Tragg..


"All things aren't as they seem." I said.






II-
 ''Well here we are..You ready?" asked Beverly...
 "Yeah , Does this bring back memories for you Beverly?" asked Lancaster, who couldn't take his eyes off of Beverly's sexy body...
 They looked at the students sitting down preparing to take the Bar Exam...

 "Yeah..It was raining cats and dogs, the day me,
 Dabnis's wife, Jasmine Coley ..It was Jasmine Jenkins then...
and my cousin Kayla came to take the bar...We were all so nervous..
My Auntay was there..She drove the three of us to take it. She gave us words of encouragement..

The Three of us  aced it though...Our first try...and we've been Attorneys ever since.." said Beverly ,looking on misty eyed..

 After we passed the bar...
We celebrated with Banana splits...Auntay treated the three of  us.It was a wonderful day...It stopped raining afterwords too" she said.

Kayla got a great job at a corporate firm in Atlanta...She left us soon..




Jazzy and I joined



 Auntay and my future husband, Nelson at the Public Defenders Office.."said Beverly gushing at the memory of how it all began for her.


 "And look at you all now...Jazzy working at a top law firm and You and your Aunt and your husband working at your own firm....Wowwwwww.....Uh Beverly...Can I  uh have a kiss for good luck?" he asked..
 ''What? No! I'm married and your fiance is out in the car...Are you crazy?" asked Beverly, who was astounded with this guy..She couldn't believe he would actually make a pass at her!!! She looked at him in horror!
 He smiled sheepishly...

"Nobody would know but you and I...Your husband isn't here and uh she's in the car..I've always found you very attractive..I haven't been able to take my eyes off you all morning..." he whispered..trying to move into her personal space and steal a kiss...She backed away and then pushed him further away...
 "WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?? Calm your hormones down and go take the test.." said Beverly, now thoroughly disgusted with him...
 "Uh Okay...Uh you uh won't mention this to uh anyone will you?" he asked..He was now very embarrassed!
 "No..I'm too embarrassed for the both of us..."said Beverly, shaking her head in total disgust!
He went in and sat down...and prepared to take the Bar Exam...  In New York , he had come very close to passing it he was told and told he should try again...but he was in Philadelphia now.. He had indeed been studying for close to a year since then...He was prepared..He really did want to be an Attorney.

III-
 In a Bar near Penns Landing...A Desperate man awaits a visitor...
'
''Kenroy ,What Took you so long?" said Maceo Artell alias Maceo Williams.
 "I got here as fast as I could..I had to reach out...Here is a Fake Passport and a Fake Drivers License...and a ticket for the Fairy." said Kenroy...an underworld figure who could get you a fake Passport, Fake Drivers License, anything you needed for a price. "You got my cash?" he asked.
 "Right here in this case.." said Maceo.
 They drank their beers..
 "Now look...They're looking for you in Philly...Not In Jersey, You take the ferry to Camden, Catch a Bus To Newark and then you take a flight back to South Africa or wwherever you want to go..got it?" said Kenroy.
''I got it..Thanks a lot...I left money for the Beers...Thanks a lot man.." said Maceo..

 Ten Minutes after Maceo had left ,the bartender walked over to Kenroy..

"Heyyy what are you trying to pull? These bills are phony?" he said.
 "WHAT?  My boy paid for the beers." said the man..

"Yeah, well these bills are phony?" said the Bartender..
 Kenroy opened his briefcase...
The fifty bills on the top were real...All of the bills beneath them were phony...

"HE STIFFED ME?  WHYYYYY THAT DIRTY BASTARD!" he said..."Hmmm Let me make a little phone call to the uh D.A's office...I'm sure they'd be interested in what I have to say.." he said.



SOMETIME LATER IN CAMDEN..

 Camden , New Jersey....Maceo laughed...They were turning Philly upside down looking for him and he was already out of town, out of the state...He hated to stiff Kenroy, but he didn't have a lot of cash and he had to make a quick getaway..He had no intention of testifying in any trial.
 He walked around....He felt free..
 He decided to enjoy a meal in the Aquarium Restaurant...
He wasn't going to let a little thing like murder keep him in town...He laughed.

He wasn't laughing long...A pair of handcuffs were put on him...
 Gary Lockwood, Investigator for the Philadelphia District Attorney's Office and seven Camden Police officers were there..

So was I...

"Mr. Artell or is it, Mr. Williams? Whatever...There is a nice warm jail cell waiting for you ,where you'll be held until this thing over...Nice meeting you." I laughed.. "Thanks Gary." I said..


 ''Don't mention it Donnie Ray." said Gary, as we ushered Maceo back on the Ferry and back to Philadelphia.

"Read him his rights..We got him." said Gary.
 At home, AUSA , Brendan Burnside was having lunch with us...We had ordered Chinese Take Out from Chinese Bob's Restaurant..
 "Liv this food is sooo good ." he said as he dug into the hot steamy delicious
 Chinese Food.

 "It is good , ummmmmmmmm." said Olivia..
 "I hope we can keep Beverly and Donnie Ray's food warm until they get here.." said Nelson..
 "That Bar Exam should be over by now...I'm sure they are on their way back..." said Josie.
 Brendan Burnside frowned...

"Hmmmph...He actually did something he said he was going to do...I'm surprised..but it does seem a bit bizzarre , taking the bar a day for your preliminary hearing for murder..But that's him, bizzare."said Brendan..
"I get the impression you don't approve of him Brendan/" said Olivia..
"I don't....His sketchy background...He just seems like a user...I'm surprised he actually has a law degree." said Brendan..
"He's had his ups and downs in life, but apparently he appears to get himself together." said Olivia.
Josie looked out the window..

"They are back!!! Beverly, Renee and Lancaster.." said Josie..
"Wow ...from the looks on their faces...He must have passed.." said Nelson..

 "WOWWWW!! You guys look happy." said Alfreda.
 "You're looking at a newly minted and licensed Attorney....Second time is the charm...I aced that sucker!" said a jubilant Lancaster....He had passed the bar and was now a licensed Attorney.
 "My baby is a lawyer." gushed Renee.
 They kissed passionately.....
 Beverly looked at the two of them somewhat pensively...but would only say..

"He passed...Now let's get him acquitted so he can practice."

She was thoroughly disgusted with him...She wanted to be as far away from him as possible.

She would tell Olivia, Nelson, Myself and Josie about the pass he made at her later on that night..but said she wasn't going to say anything to Renee.

 "That's wonderful....Oh here comes Donnie Ray... Donnie Ray, Lancaster passed the bar...He's an attorney now." said Olivia..
 "Great and Gary and I with help from the Camden Police Department captured Mr. Maceo Artell, our lone eyewitness...He's in a nice safe jail cell." I said.
 Olivia kissed me softly...

"Ummmmmm great!" she said..
 "Nothin but good news today." said Nelson..
 "Yupper."said Josie..

"This calls for a celebration...You guys up for drinks at Curleya tonight?  First Round is on me.."said Brendan.






IV-


We all had drinks at Curleys.....

There was a lot of love in the air tonight at Curleys...


 Olivia and I were kissing passionately...


 so was Nelson and Beverly..


 Josie and Paris

 and even Alfreda and Rockland, who were out
 Out with us tonight...
 "Now that I'm an Attorney and no longer a Para-Legal , that means a bump in salary for me baby.."said a jubilant Lancaster Brown..
 "Yes...Yes.." said his fiance, Renee.
They kissed passionately..


 There was plenty of Beer
 Plenty of Martinis...
 Citris
and Mango...
There was a nice moon out tonight!
 ADA Abby Sleet was enjoying a drink by herself..she was looking at the Autopsy report and a few notes she'd made on the case...

The ice in her drink was starting to melt....

When Lt. Tragg walked in..saw she was sitting alone and invited himself to her table...He ordered another drink for her and a Beer for himself..





"I just want you to know ,I 've got men all over this Maceo Artell charactor....He won't escape the dragnet I've set for him..We should have him on custody any day now!" he said and smiled confidently..

 "He's in custody already and has been for the past  five hours." sighed Abby, shaking her head at how
inept this guy was..
 ''WHAT? He's in custody?" said Lt. Tragg

"Yes..He was picked up in Camden by The Camden P.D.. and they turned him over to the Investigator from the D.A.'s Office, Gary Lockwood and Donnie Ray Alexander...They tracked him to Camden..He's in the cooler, where he will stay without bail until after this trial is over." she sighed..

She polished off both drinks...

 "Oh Yes, our defendant passed the bar today..Did you know that?" she asked..
"No I didn't..I just found out this morning that this joker has a law degree..I thought he was just a common thug!"said Lt. Tragg, finishing up his beer...He wanted to feel her soft legs and run his hands up her skirt...but he thought better of that...He wasn't supposed to be this close to her, thanks to her still in effect restraining order...She just wasn't saying anything .

 "Seems to be a whole lot you don't know now of days.." said ADA Sleet..who thought to herself "And I thought you might be a detective."

He didn't like that remark.
As enamored as he once was of her before, that was how much she angered him now.. He got up from her table, which he had invited himself to  and headed towards the door without saying good night.

''Was it something I said?" she wondered aloud and laughed.



Lt. Tragg  took one last look at our tables..



 Olivia and I were kissing passionately...


 so was Nelson and Beverly..


 Josie and Paris

 and even Alfreda and Rockland, who were out
  with us tonight...were kissing.
Newly minted attorney , Lancaster Brown , indicted for murder had passed the bar and was now an Attorney, however short lived that might be..
 His fiance was smiling, happy..
They kissed passionately..

Her uncle, U.S. Attorney Brendan Burns was smiling...


"Laugh now..Cry later.." Lt. Tragg grumbled as he left the bar in a huff..  Tomorrow was the preliminary...This guy would be on his way to prison for murder...He'd be validated once and for all..He thought as he walked toward his car.



(CONCLUSION NEXT)





No comments:

Post a Comment