Monday, May 16, 2022

One Day When I Was Lost


 Ms. Yvette sat in her office in deep thought this morning.

She sat with a blank expression on her face..
Ms. Virginia  brought her a cup of coffee and the two women sat down..
"You okay Vettie? You look distant this morning." said Virginia.
"Naw, not really...I got word that my uh dad passed away last night.  We were not that close... He didn't come to my wedding..He and my mom divorced right before I graduated High school...We were never close...You know..A girl wants her dad to walk her down the aisle..Give her away...None of that for me..
Olivia's husband gave me away...Just as well...Olivia's family was like my family anyway...I was an only child..I met Olivia in Law School, We were roomies.. Liv took me home with her and her mother and father treated me as if I was their daughtter,,,Her niece Beverly and her cousin, Kayla were like my little sisters...They became my family...It makes sense that Liv's husband, would walk me down the aisle and give me away.." said a melancholy Yvette. "I didn't mean to unload on you like that." she said.
"Oh girl, it's okay..."said Virginia, who hugged Yvette. She sensed Yvette wanted to be alone with her thoughts this morning so she finished her coffee and went back to the front desk.

Yvette sat in her office and smiled , thinking about how her day began.




Her daily routine was somewhat derailed this morning..

"Why are you staring at me?" she asked her husband, Gary....


"Because you look so damn delicious." he said...

"Delicious? I've rarely been described that way before.." she laughed..


''Well you have now." said Gary...


He pulled her to him and kissed her passionately....

"OUUUUUUUUUUUUU!.....Ummmmmmmmmmm! Gary you're messing up my routine.." she giggled..

"I'm messing up my routine too...but it feels good." he said..

"I can't believe after last night you even have the energy for this....but I forget who I'm talking to.." she laughed in between wet sloppy kisses...


He bent her over the sink and entered her slowly....thrusting softly....Yvette giggled and then laughed..

"Ouuuuuuuuuuuuuu...Ummmmmmmmmmmmm, you feel sooooo goood.." she whispered...

"So do youuuuuuu! OHHHHHHHHHH! I JUST LOVE YOU SOOOOO DAMN MUCH!" he said..

"I love you too!" she whispered..


He sat her on the sink, opened her legs...and entered her again..., while staring in her eyes and kissing her..

"OUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!! GARY!!! OUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!" she cooed.

"OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!" he moaned..


"OUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU! GARYYYYYYYYYYYY!!! OH MY GODDDDD!" she moaned as he lifted her up and long stroked her....
They sat on the side of the bed.. Yvette moved up and down on him, kissing him slowly and softly...

Slowing driving him out of his mind...

She continued to giggle as he thrusted inside her for FORTY  FIVE MINUTES, before they both came and came hard...

"OUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU, MEOOOOOOOOOOOOW!" she coooed..

"OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH VETTIE, YOU ARE MY SWEET GIRRRRRRL!" he moaned ...


"OHHH MY GODDDD! OUUUUUUUUUUU!" Yvette moaned! She had an intense orgasm, that made her body tremble and sweat run down her face....

"OUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!" she moaned.

Gary came and came hard....His body trembling.....

 Nothing like a quickie to start the day off, she mused and smiled serenly...

"Okayyy, that's enough! Go sit in the kitchen and calm yourself down!  I have to get dressed now." she said.



Yvette got on the phone and texted each of us, telling us she'd be late today!! Then she began her routine.



She got out of bed..Made the bed up...
Took a nice long hot shower.. with a sweet and fresh smelling body wash, Lotioned down, put on a heavenly fragrance..



and proceeded to get dressed.. Cute Panty and Bra set....
Put on a cute outfit...

Called her coffee order ahead and paid for it by phone..

"I'm going to be late getting to work today.but that was worth it...Wouuuuuuu!" she said to Gary..

and then kissed Gary softly for three minutes..before applying her lipstick and hurrying out the door..
''See ya Babes.." she said.
"Yeahhhh, see ya..." said Gary...Who was still aroused by that soft kiss from Yvette...

"You need to calm down." she said and smiled..before leaving for work.

She rode to work by herself this morning...She was late...

While riding the train to work ,Yvette got the call on her phone with the news of her father's death...
She didn't know quite how to take it... Her Mother and her cousin and her aunt came to her wedding..Her father didn't.. Her Mother, Cousin and Aunt had been to her and Gary's House..


Her father had stopped by one morning, but hadn't come in....That was the last time she had seen him.About six months ago...He had commented that he liked this area of the city..."I remember when there wasn't nothin but warehouses around here and dive bars.. Now there is beautiful homes, lofts, condos, apartments..shopping centers and restaurants...Good Move baby girl." he said and then he was gone!

Yvette got another phone call... She talked to whoever for a few minutes..Then she got up..
"Virginia, I'm going out for awhile.. Tell the kids to carry on without me..I think they have everything under control." said Yvette.

"Okay. Everything alright?" asked Ms. Virginia.
"Yeah, Everything is alright." said Ms. Yvette.


II-


In our conference room we were having a meeting, which I was chairing .....

"Okay...we have established that there is no physical evidence...In fact, there never was any physical evidence linking our client to this murder." I said.
"The arresting officer, Detective Dominic Evans is himself in prison for murder."said my wife Bee Bee, smiling.
''And the one eyewitness who puts him at the scene has changed her story several times and admits that she was paid $1000.00 in cash by the late Captain Jack Tragg, beloved Uncle of your favorite detective." said Sofia.
"So the question is..WHY is our client still on Death Row?" asked Kahlil.

"It's politics...This is politically embarrassing to the City of Philadelphia and the State of Pennsylvania."
said Ms. Jade, who had done the leg work...

''We've got to argue before the Pennsylvania State Supreme Court again. I've got to argue before those same guys I lost to the last time I tried to save a man's life." I said.
"It'll be different this time...It won't be you alone..We'll be with you...All of us.."said Sofia, who remembered the last time...


  
HARRISBURG ,PA- THREE YEARS BEFORE

 The Supreme Court of Pennsylvania is the highest court in the Unified Judicial System of Pennsylvania, and as such, the highest court in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. It also claims to be the oldest appellate court in the United States, which claim is disputed by the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court.[2] The Supreme Court of Pennsylvania began in 1684 as the Provincial Court, and casual references to it as the "Supreme Court" of Pennsylvania were made official in 1722 upon its reorganization as an entity separate from the control of the royal governor.

 Today, the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania maintains a discretionary docket, meaning that the Court may choose which cases it accepts, with the exception of mandatory death penalty appeals, and certain appeals from the original jurisdiction of the Commonwealth Court. This discretion allows the Court to wield powerful influence on the formation and interpretation of Pennsylvania law.

 "Look at that Sof...The Highest Court in the state and we are about to argue a death penalty case before it.."I said..
"I know right...I never imagined myself here...Not now...Not ever.."said Sofia..
"Me neither.."I said..

The State Supreme Court was made up of four men and three women..  They didn't crack a smile as we began to argue our case...

One Justice in particular tore into Sofia..

"Your Client Mr.Vincent Olipio was serving a 99 year sentence for First Degree Murder..He plotted and along with another man shot and killed a rival drug dealer is that not correct Ms.Garcia?' he asked..

"Yes, but I am not here to try his original case  I am here trying to save his life from an entirely different perspective.."said Sofia..

"The murder he was currently serving time for was not his first conviction either was it? This was in fact his third Felony Conviction..He then escapes from prison with two other gentlemen, robs a sporting good store wherein a rookie officer is shot and killed..You want us to spare his life?" asked a stern looking female Justice..


"Mam...Is our client a good guy? No...But he did not kill that police officer....Look...Three men robbed that sporting goods store..One committed suicide before he could be brought to trial...The second man, the actual shooter was put to death two years ago....Where is the justice in putting my client to death for this? Justice has been served... My client is behind bars for probably the rest of his life...Two of the robbers are already dead..Isn't that enough?  What is it with this blood lust the state seems to have as far as this case is concerned?"I asked...

"Blood Lust? Blood Lust Mr. Jones? That cop was fresh out of the Academy....He had only been on the streets for two weeks...He had just gotten married ,just put a down payment on a house and his wife had just found out she was pregnant..."said another woman justice..

They had researched the case well before we got here..

 Sofia argued the merit of the entire law.....That it wasn't fair to prosecute one man for what another had clearly done...Especially when you knew that the man hadn't personally committed the crime..

"You're putting someone to death for a murder you KNOW he didn't personally committ."she argued
...
While I pleaded for the life of a man, not a good man, but a man who did not physically take the life of this officer...

It was an impassioned set of arguments....I couldn't remember when I'd talked so much in my life...but it was all for naught...

Three Justices voted to Stay Vincent's execution...At least until they could look at the very law that he was convicted under...But four voted to go on with the execution...

We Lost...Victor was to be executed in 24 hours....



That night we sat in a diner in Harrisburg....

Sofia and I sat quietly and ate Banana Splits..
Sofia checked her phone...
"Bee Bee and Kahlil texted me..They got an acquital on all charges.." said Sofia..
''At least somebody had a successful day.."I said..
"Get This.Bee Bee told me that Rockland took Gary and Yvette and all of them out to drinks at Red Booth to celebrate...Put it on his tab...Took Liv and Bev ,Donnie Ray, Josie and Nelson too. So he knows about Ms. Yvette and Gary and it's all good.."laughed Sofia..
"Wow that must be a weight off of Gary and Ms. Yvette's shoulders..."I said.. I was happy for my friends..Happy that they won in court..Happy that Ms. Yvette and Gary were free to be a couple and not have to hide it anymore..Happy that everybody had a Happy ending..Except me and Sofia..
"Hey Buddy...What do we do now?  We are all out of options..."said Sofia..
"The Governor...I'm going to request an audience with the Governor and plead with him to stay this execution...It's the only card we've got left to play...You go home tonight....I'm stayin...I'm getting a room..."I said.
''What? Noooooo."said Sofia.
"YES!  It's the only play we've got left....I have to do it...Vincent will want you at the prison if I uh should fail...He'd want someone he knows by his side.." I said.

"Go On Sof...I'll be alright...I'll take the train or a bus to where ever you are.."I said..

"You sure?"asked Sofia..
I took her in my arms and hugged her...Her body was so soft ,so round...I see why Kahlil was so enthralled with her..I held her for a long while...Maybe longer than I should have..Sofia thought so too....She smiled and eased out of our embrace...

"Yeah...Now go on home before it gets too late...Maybe I can convince the Governor to stay his execution.."I said...a little embarrassed..

"Bee Bee is so lucky..." said Sofia..Who sensed my embarrassment, but being the good friend that she is...She put me at ease....
"So is Kahlil.."I said softly...We looked at each other and smiled..
Sofia kissed me on the cheek

and got in her car and headed for Philadelphia...I headed for a Hotel.....Tomorrow was our last shot...

Today had been,well today...


III-


"That was a different case, different circumstances...We have the other man who was accused of this murder, Dan Reynolds, who was never tried....Remember, Jack Tragg and Dominic Evans offered him a deal if he would say Reynolds committed the murder and he refused. That's the guy they originally liked for this murder.. He's agreed to testify on our behalf..."said Bee Bee.


"The $1000.00 offered the eyewitness...None of that was told to the jury in the first trial... There is enough here that this conviction should be thrown out.." said Kahlil..

"I suppose you guys are right...Let's run this by Ms. Yvette." I said.



"By the way, where is Ms. Yvette anyway?" asked Sofia.


"I haven't seen her." said Jade.


"She left about three hours ago....She said she got word that her father passed away this morning."said Ms. Virginia..

"Oh Nooooooo!" said Bee Bee.
"Ohhhhhhh wowww..."said Sofia.

"She never talked about her father that much." said Kahlil.
"No she didn't...but I saw him once.. He came by to see her new house... That was two years ago, right after we all got married and moved in." I said.
"They weren't that close. He came by again a couple of months ago." said Jade.

"I'm worried about her...She left without saying where she was going and she left her phone here by accident.. At least I think it was by accident." said Ms. Virginia,

 holding her phone up.


THREE HOURS LATER-


Ms. Yvette was siting on the steps of North Catholic High School...The school she graduated from...
She hadn't been back here since she graduated.. She looked at her watch...It was almost 3:30 pm.
School had let out an hour ago...She didn't know how long she had been sitting here.. She had no memory of how she got here or how long she had been here.. It was as if she had lost several hours of time.

She searched her purse.. Her phone was missing. She had left it at work...Oh wow..she was really out of it..She had never left her phone behind before.

She was hungry....She walked to the corner..

She ordered from a Hot Dog Stand..
Two Hot Dogs with mustard..
and a Coke...


She sat back down on the steps of her high school and devoured the two Hot Dogs and the coke...


"Heyyyyyy Cuzo...What are you doing here?" said Yvette's cousin ,Natasha Billips.


''Natasha, what are you doing here? I thought you were in Cali?" asked Yvette.

"I was...but I'm home for Uncle Joseph's funeral." she said.


"He just died today, no funeral arrangements have been made." said Yvette.

"Whatever, you always were so analytical, so square, such a nerd.....That is, til you met me and I introduced you to fly ass clothes and make up...And showed that bodacious bod, tits and ass off to the boys , that you kept hiding under baggy clothing and you all of sudden became popular...Almost as popular as me!You smoked your first joint with me remember cuz?" laughed Natasha.

Yvette laughed... " Yeah, I remember... I didn't even know I had a body until you high lighted it..Then I couldn't get rid of the boys...They wanted to follow me home, wanted to carry my books...bought my lunch.." she laughed..
"Yeah, but you was still a nerd..Still hit them books hard...Nothing got in the way of that...and you know what cuz??...That was a good thing..You got good grades, went to Lasalle and PENN and became a lawyer... Now you making money and dressin fly as hell. I should have followed your example.. You got a man, a nice house...and good friends... I envy you...I really do Vettie girl."said her cousin, who she had represented once..

Her cousin hadn't made her and Gary's wedding..She was in Los Angelas, but she had sent  them a beautiful and expensive wedding present and had come to visit her and Gary in her new home when she came to Philly.

''So what you doin now cuz?" asked Yvette.


"I've made a few adult movies and a few legitimate movies...B Movies mostly and did a few commercials, made some appearances on some TV shows..and a few music videos...I'm back in the Philadelphia area for awhile.. I'm taking acting lessons and then I'm heading for New York." she said.

''Aunt Josephine told me you made partner, and got your own office in a building down near PENN'S LANDING...WOW! You ballin girl..."said Natasha.


"This was the first time that Yvette's cousin had ever been envious of her....She was surprised..She was surprised her mother had told her about her new office, since she hadn't been down to visit.. My dad,My Mom,  Bee Bee's Mom and Dad, Sofia's Mom and Dad, her grandfather and her auntie and Kahlil's Mom and dad had all been down to visit..Even Ms. Virginia's Mom and dad had been to see her at her new job...glad that she was free and glad she was in a nice law office run by a Black woman and peopled by people of color. Yvette so wanted her mother to come and visit her.

IV-


At the office.


''She was fine this morning...If she found out her dad passed, it must have been on the ride to work." said Gary, Ms. Yvette's husband.


Gary picked up the phone and dialed the last number... It was her mother's number..






Me , Bee Bee, Sofia ,Kahlil and Ms. Jade stood by waiting for information.

Gary hung up...

"This has been a very bad week for Yvette...Her father passed away this morning and her mother told me that she called Yvette to tell her that her cousin, Natasha Billips WAS FOUND DEAD OF AN APPARENT OVERDOSE in LOS ANGELAS YESTERDAY!!!" he said.

"Oh Jesus were they close?" asked Virginia.

" They grew up together..." I said.

"We Defended her once..."said Sofia.

"Yes , about three years ago." said Bee Bee.
"Yeah...I remember her." said Kahlil.

Yvette had finished her two hot dogs and her coke.. She put them in the waste basket..

"You want a hot dog cuz?" asked Yvette who turned and noticed no one was sitting next to her..She looked around to see if Natasha had walked down the street...There was no sign of her at all. She looked confused.

Not like her to just leave and not say something...Yvette looked at her watch.. It was a quarter to 5:00 pm..

A woman walked by that looked familliar.

"Vettie? Yvette Jones is that you?" she asked.


"Oh My God, Mrs. Foster...How are you?" said Yvette.. Mrs. Foster had been her English teacher and the head of the Debate Team... Yvette had made straight A's and was the Captain of the Debate team..It was no secret she was Mrs. Foster's favorite.


"I'm fine....just fine... I've kept up with you since you graduated.. Lasalle graduate..That's where I graduated from you know.. PENN Law School,wowwwww!...and I ran into your mother the other day..She told me you were a partner at your law firm....She's very proud of you. What are you doing here? Nostalgic??" she asked.

"I guess....I can't even remember how I got here...Listen Mrs. Foster...I left my phone at the office...Can I use your phone to call my office and let them know I'm alright? I've been gone all day and to call an UBER?" asked Ms. Yvette.
"Oh Sure, sure...Are you sure you're okay?" asked Mrs. Foster.

"To Tell you the truth Mrs. Foster...I don't even know." said Yvette.



She passed her her phone..


and in a little while..

''We are so glad you are back safely, We were so worried about you." said Virginia, hugging her..
"I was okay...I uh went back to my old High school, my old neighborhood and just kind of wandered around...It's been a rough day....Learning that my dad passed away this morning and they found my cousin dead in Los Angelas of an overdose over the weekend...I guess I uh just had a momentary breakdown..I don't remember a whole lot in between." said Ms. Yvette.
''We are going to get you home..A nice hot meal and some sleep will do you good.." said Gary..
"Yeah, we can hold it down here...Take a few days off." I said.
"Yeah Ms. Yvette, finding out about one death is one thing...Two deaths in the family is enough to make anybody breakdown."said Sofia.
''We need you healthy Ms. Yvette." said Bee Bee, hugging Ms. Yvette.
"Get some rest."said Kahlil..
"Yeah we'll hold it down."said Jade.


''Stopppp, you're going to make me cry...Come on...let's go home."said Ms. Yvette as she looked at her watch.

It was 6:00 pm..

We dimmed the lights, locked up the office and all headed home.


(TO BE CONTINUED)

No comments:

Post a Comment