Tuesday, April 19, 2022

A Pregnant Pause

We were discussing the case at hand...
 
"She was killed with a single stab wound to the liver...She bled out immediately...Time of death was about 2:15...." said Sofia.
"Millicent was susposed to rendevous with Damon at 1:00 pm...but he called her, saying he was running late...Millicent arrived at 1:30...we have her on the street cam... but Mrs. Brantley arrived at 1: 15, neighbors heard yelling and shouting at the residence.." said Bee Bee.
" Millicent swears she left a little after 2:00 and time of death was at 2:15 or around that time.. Then her husband arrived at 2:30 and found his wife dead." said Yvette.

''Well where was he at all this time?" I asked.

''I know where you're going with this homeslice, but he was on the highway...The police clocked the mileage on his car." said Kahlil.

Jade had already gotten the Autopsy Report and the Crime Scene photos and report as well as other depositions..

"A kitchen knife is missing from the wood block and Millicent's fingerprints are all over them, in fact they're everywhere...All over the condo." said Jade.


"It was a "Love Nest" That's where they met...Her fingerprints would be all over the place..She probably cooked all of the meals when she was there.. What we've got to do is find another suspect that could have been there."said Ms. Yvette,.

"Maybe this was a robbery gone bad...Maybe the perp slipped in from the back." I said.
"No! The security cameras and the street and traffic cameras didn't pick up anyone from the back and I talked to the neighbors on both sides..They didn't see anything or anyone." said Jade.


''Come on...We've got an arraignment to go to." said Ms. Yvette.


We headed to the crowded courtroom...








We stood with our client in court....


Judge Tad Thornton, who we hadn't seen in along time would be presiding over this case...


The Big surprise was the Assistant District Attorney...It was Vanessa Stevens....


Lt. Tragg laughed his head off... "Oh Boy, this is rich...it couldn't get any better" he thought and stared at Todd Dellums sitting in the spectator section..

Todd Dellums looked sick, Sicker than he'd ever been...


Lt. Tragg laughed his head off.. This brought him joy.

II-

Vanessa Stevens was smart ...She argued that because of  Millicent Caldwell's New York City Connections , she was a flight risk...She knew that this was a weak argument.


Ms. Yvette argued that Millicent Caldwell now lived in Philadelphia and had no more connections to New York City. She was an officer of the court and had no prior criminal convictions.. Not so much as a traffic ticket and "wished for her day in court to vigourously fight these egregious charges."


Lt. Tragg laughed out loud at that...

This infuriated Sofia and Bee Bee who felt as though he was mocking Ms. Yvette.  (They were very protective of Ms. Yvette..)




They presented five character witnesses a piece, five from her neighborhood and five from her job...


Vanessa did something no other ADA ever did..She cross examined every charactor witness, asking them how long they had known Millicent... (None of them had known her over six months) ''So it's safe to say you don't know her at all."

She then told the judge... "There is a preponderance of evidence that points to her guilt.. The victims DNA on her jacket, Her fingerprints all over the condo..and a missing knife and her fingerprints on the 
woodblock that held the knives."


Kahlil and I argued that we did not wish to argue the proclivities of the trial here,,,We just wanted a reasonable bail for our client..we argued that she was not a threat or a flight risk..



Judge Thornton looked at Millicent.


He agreed and set bail at $6000.00 and asked that Millicent wear an ankle monitoring device.


We thought that was a bit harsh... but it was better than being in jail.

"We are going to get you out of here and to our building, get you something to eat and get you situated.."said Ms. Yvette.
"Oh Okay." said Millicent.
"Lt. Tragg doesn't know where we work.. We'd like to keep it that way... Our building has a nice cafeteria with good food and a gym." I said.
"You can eat, relax and we can talk." said Bee Bee.
"You won't have that asshole Tragg breathing down your neck." said Sofia.
"Come on let's go out the side door." said Kahlil.
''Follow us."said  Jade.


"Okay...You guys know the lay of the land here." said Millicent..

And just like that , we were gone.

"You did a good job kid..That Judge is an old Lech...he was checking her out ,rather than listening to the facts."said Lt. Tragg.
''That's okay... I didn't expect to win that round...but I did want to jerk their chains a little bit.. Let them know this isn't going to be a cake walk." said Vanessa , smiling.  she looked around for Todd..but he was nowhere to be seen.

She went back to her office..


She looked at the files she had on us...She always liked to know a little about the lawyers she would be up against.

 
KEITH JONES-

Born in Philadelphia PA. 

Mother, Nancy Jones, Court Stenographer

Father, Judge Keith Morrison

Graduated from West Catholic High School

B.A. Administration of Justice, Trial Advocacy, Pre Law- Howard University

J.D.- University of Pennsylvania Law School

Fluent in Spanish, French, German

Passed Bar in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Deleware ,New York, Texas, California

Associate Attorney- McCluskey/Cozen/Connor/Pratt

Married to Beatrice Evans



BEATRICE LYNN EVANS -JONES

Born in Philadelphia PA.

Graduated from Philadelphia High School For Girls

B.A. -Administration of Justice, Trial Advocacy ,Pre Law- Temple University

J.D.-University of Pennsylvania Law School

Fluent in Spanish and French

Passed Bar in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York and Deleware, Texas, California

Associate Attorney- McCluskey /Cozen/Connor and Pratt

Married to Keith Jones

SOFIA CARMELITA GARCIA-AHMED

Born in Philadelphia PA.

Graduated from Philadelphia High School For Girls

B.A. -Administration Of Justice, Trial Advocacy, Pre Law-Temple University

J.D.-University of Pennsylvania Law School

Fluent in Spanish and French

Passed Bar in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Deleware and New York, Texas, California

Associate Attorney -McCluskey/Cozen/Connor and Pratt

Married to Kahlil Ahmed...

KAHLIL ABDUL AHMED

Born in Philadelphia PA.

Graduated from Central High School

BA.- Administration of Justice, Trial Advocacy, Pre Law- Temple University

JD- University of Pennsylvania Law School

Speaks Arabic languages fluently, fluent in German and Russian.

Passed Bar in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Deleware and New York, Texas, California

Associate Attorney-McCluskey/Cozen/Connor and Pratt

Married to Sofia Garcia




YVETTE DENISE JONES-LOCKWOOD

Born in Philadelphia PA.

Graduated from North Catholic High School

BA-Trial Advocacy, Pre Law, Administration of Justice -Lasalle University

JD -University of Pennsylvania Law School

Fluent in Spanish, French and Russian

Passed Bar in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Deleware , New York, Texas, California.

Associate Attorney-McCluskey/Cozen/Connor and Pratt

Senior Associate Attorney-McCluskey/Cozen/Connor and Pratt

Managing Partner- McCluskey/Cozen/Connor and Pratt

Married to District Attorney Investigator-Gary Lockwood.




''Wow..We have a lot in common.. We all went to Girls High and all have an Ivy Leauge Law degree...Hmmmm, I like that..." laughed Vanessa Stevens..

She then pulled out a dossier on Millicent Caldwell, the defendent...

Millicent Kim Caldwell

Born on New York City , N.Y. and Educated in New York City Public Schools.

Studied Political Science at New York University

Studied Trial Advocacy/ Pre Law /Administration of Justice/ St John's University

JD- Harvard University School of Law

Passed the bar in MA. Ct. New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Deleware

Speaks, Spanish, French and Russian fluently.

Attorney at Law , Chief Counsel- The Harris Group, New York City, NY

Works at Millicent Caldwell , Attorney at Law , P.C. , New York City, NY.

Relocated to Philadelphia PA.  Works at Millicent Caldwell , Attorney at Law , P.C. ,

"Everybody involved in this case is interesting." said Vanessa. "She was in law school with Todd.. I wonder if he knows her?" Vanessa wondered.


III-

We whisked Millicent off to our building...


She peered into our conference room on the 5th Floor..














At this very moment... ADA Karen Page's Wrongful Conviction Unit was hearing a case.. My Father , Judge Keith Morrison was the Judge and the people bringing the case before them was our good friends, Olivia Bennett-Alexander, her niece, Beverly West-East, Beverly's husband, Nelson East, Associate Attorneys, Josie Boyd and Bresha Billips, Olivia's husband, Investigator, Donnie Ray Alexander and Innocence Project Attorneys Jessica Sanchez-Burrows and her husband, Charles "Chip" Burrows...

Millicent smiled.  "Olivia and her team...They beat me the last time I worked on a case in Philadelphia...They're damn good.. I have the utmost respect for them..." she said.

"I know...I was in the courtroom the last day of the trial.." said Yvette.

"Ohhhhhh you're familliar with them?" asked Millicent.

''More than a little..Olivia was my room-mate all through law school...She's like my sister.. And the ADA, Karen Page...Used to live across the hall from us in Law School... I'm very familliar.."said Yvette.


"We live across the street from them...All of us do." said Sofia.

''And you guys are married to each other and all live on the same street?" asked Millicent.


"That's right." said Bee Bee, smiling.

"Who's the Judge?  He's handsome.."said Millicent.. "Although men should not be my focus right now.. Being Man-crazy is what got me into this mess." she sighed.

"That's my father...Judge Keith Morrison." I said.

"Your Father??? But your name is Jones....Oh, long story huh?" said Millicent.

"Indeed" I said, not wishing to discuss it further.

Bee Bee hugged me and rubbed my hands...

"They're arguing a Wrongfully accused case... Those other two attorneys with them are with the Innocence project, which is housed in this building...Down the hall from the Wrongful Conviction Unit of the D.A.'s office. Those two live on our street also." said Kahlil..

"WOW!" said Millicent.








Next we went to our cafeteria , where we had breakfast....

"Ohhhh the food is sooo good here.." said Millicent.

"It is... They serve Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner here and I'm told a midnight snack... Though I wouldn't know about that...We've never stayed that late." said Bee Bee.
''We've only been in this building a few months, since Ms. Yvette made partner...but we love it..


There's a gym and showers upstairs." said Sofia.


''Really? When I relocated my firm to Philly...I should have checked out this building.. " said Millicent.

"You brought your staff with you?" asked Kahlil.

"Not all.. Two of my attorneys came and one of my para-legals.. I gave my other attorney and para-legal a severence and we parted ways.. I picked up another attorney here and Damon Brantley...In hindsight..I shouldn't have picked him up.. It's never good to mix business with pleasure." said Millicent.


Ms. Jade and Ms. Yvette said nothing, they just ate and listened..Trying to get a feel for their new client.

More of our friends came in..
"Heyyy Ms. Yvette...We saw you guys in court today...We were in court too." said Jazzy..
''When we saw you guys..We sat in on your arraignment." said Kayla.
"Fan Girls." laughed Dabnis..
"What can we say?" laughed  Ray...
Tony just smiled.


"They live on your street too?" joked Millicent.


"Actually they do...We didn't plan it that way....but we all had the same realtor...and the houses were new and we loved em and being we all got married around the same time, give or take a month or so..We all wound up living in the same neighborhood. Quite a happy accident."laughed Kahlil.

''Yes...Indeed! And you all wound up working in the same building.. Incredible."laughed Millicent.


After we ate , We finally went upstairs to our office suite..

"Niceeeeeeeeeeeee... That's what making partner gets you huh?" laughed Millicent.

"I suppose...Millicent, this is our office manager, Virginia..Virginia Shaw.. Virginia, this is our client, Millicent Caldwell."said Yvette.

"Pleased to meet you." said Virginia.


Millicent looked a bit sick... She grabbed a waste basket and vomited her guts up.....She appeared to be sweating..

"I'm Sorry...I'm sorry... I'm a bit under the weather.. Stomach flu.." she explained.


Yvette gave her a tissue  to wipe her mouth....and a serious side eye. She didn't believe her!


"I'll call housekeeping." said Virginia. She didn't believe her either.

Jade got her a cold towel for her face.




Yvette, Bee Bee and Sofia looked at her strangely....

III-


They say insanity is doing the same thing that failed and hoping for the same results..



Once again Lt. Tragg went to our old office building and our former suite, only to find it locked, dark and empty...


Lt. Tragg then went to Sam Mother's Diner... Nada.. None of his sparring partners were there.. All of us were safely, miles away


in our new building.. safe from him..


We sat in our conference room and listened as Millicent talked.







Ms. Yvette, Myself, Bee Bee, Sofia, Kahlil and Jade sat quietly... We wanted her to feel comfortable around us..

"I like Philadelphia. It's a big city...but it's got a homey, close neighborhood feel..Not as crowded as New York City... People actually go to sleep here.. When I returned to New York after the shallacking Olivia and Beverly gave me.. All I could think about was living here.. So I  decided to relocate my law firm to Philly...

Damon needed a job...He had just left his law firm of 10 years... He wanted to be partner and he didn't see that happening he said.   I told him that I had a small boutique law firm and the chance of him being partner was even more feeble with me.. but he insisted he'd be fine... Really, he just wanted to be close to me.

I didn't know he was married.. Apparently , he is the father of two children too. A Boy and a girl.  he never mentioned them..No photos of them in his little condo either. He didn't wear a ring..(His ring is on a chain he wears around his neck,)

Every morning he brought me coffee and pastries  and he sent flowers to me... My other two attorneys and Para-Legals called him a brown noser behind his back.

He took me to Flyers Games, Sixers Games, To See the Phillies and then Lunches and Dinners.. We talked a lot and got to know each other ...He seemed nice, comfortable..Then I , we broke the ultimate
taboo...We slept together.


He took me to his Condo....I thought he lived there..He doesn't even own it.. A grateful past client of his sub leases it to him when he's out of town.  He lied to me about that.  






We spent whole weekends there...just making love... Sitting in bed on rainy weekends just making love and ordering take out.. Sometimes I even cooked for him.

We tried as best we could to keep it from the rest of the office...but with only four other employees in a small office you can't keep something like that a secret.. What's worse.. I was starting to fall in love with him.''


"When did you find out he was married?" asked Ms. Yvette.



Bee Bee and Sofia were hanging on to every word.. It was like they were watching a TV drama or more accurately, hearing good juicy gossip.

"One of the Para-Legals told me.. She saw them out one night..and he had his ring on..I was devestated..
I confronted him...He told me that his marriage was over and that it hadn't been good for years..He said I was the only joy in his life.. He was in tears." said Millicent.

''And you believed that? Come on.. Guys say stuff like that all the time....Uh er ahhh that's what I've heard." I said.


''Quit while you're ahead home slice." said Kahlil.





Bee Bee, Yvette, Sofia and Jade were openly laughing at me....

Millicent laughed.. She looked at me.. ''And how many lies have YOU told to get in girls panties?" she asked.

"I'm not that kind of guy." I said solemnly.


Bee Bee sat in my lap and kissed me.


"I've known him since my first day of law school and the years since and I married him...I don't think he is." she said ,coming to my rescue.

''When did you meet the wife?" asked Jade.

"I met her the day she died.. I was supposed to meet Damon there for a nooner..Only he called and said he was running late. His wife arrived minutes after I got there.. The news that their marriage was over and hadn't been good for years was NEWS to her.. She screamed and yelled at me.. I tried to calm her down and explain to her that I had just found out about her a week ago... and she screamed obscenities at me, called me a stupid little whore and a bitch and threatened to kill me.. I had had enough.. I decided to leave.. she grabbed my jacket and I pushed her away and we tussled a bit and I knocked her down..She got up and continued to call me names and I just left.  She was very much alive when I left." said Millicent. 

''Where did you go after you left?" asked Jade.

''I went to Rite Aid and then I got some Gas.. and I went home and I stayed there...Crying myself to sleep.. I couldn't believe I'd been so stupid." said Millicent..who grabbed another waste basket and vomited..

She was sweating profusely...

"Ouuuuu baby girl, something didn't agree with you today.." said Virginia, getting a wet wipe and wiping her mouth...
Jade got another cold towel for her face.


"You're pregnant aren't you?" asked Ms. Yvette quietly.


''Yes.  I slipped up...I forgot to buy my birth control pills and he never liked wearing a condom.." she said.

"When did you find out?" asked Sofia.

''I've  suspected for a few weeks...That's why I stopped by the drug store....to buy a test. Damon doesn't know..At least not yet. I don't want him to know until I decide what I'm gonna do." said Millicent.

''Not your day was it?" said Bee Bee.

''We are gonna get you out of here. Go Home..Get some rest..."said Yvette.

"Here, this is a Burner phone..


Write this number down and you contact us through this.. Don't call our office or our business phones or our personal phones. Just this number." I said.


And this is a Portal



''We'll keep you up to date on your defense...Go home..Keep a low profile." said Kahlil.

"Thank You all.. you've been so kind. Todd was right about you." she said, smiling as she headed for the elevator.


IV-


At Home , Ms. Yvette got comfortable.. She put on the red lacy babydoll that drove her husband, Gary crazy after taking a nice relaxing bubble bath.
She sat on the bed with her laptop, googling our client.. she liked to know who she was dealing with...



>Millicent Kim Caldwell

Born on New York City , N.Y. and Educated in New York City Public Schools.

Studied Political Science at New York University,,BA.

Studied Trial Advocacy/ Pre Law /Administration of Justice/ St John's University, BA

JD- Harvard University School of Law

Passed the bar in MA. Ct. New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Deleware

Speaks, Spanish, French and Russian fluently.

Attorney at Law , Chief Counsel- The Harris Group, New York City, NY

Works at Millicent Caldwell , Attorney at Law , P.C. , New York City, NY.

Relocated to Philadelphia PA.  Works at Millicent Caldwell , Attorney at Law , P.C. ,


Yvette knew she'd had past relationships with 

Both Todd Dellums and Warren Lloyd.. She certainly enjoyed the company of men and they enjoyed her company also.,

She next googled the Assistant District Attorney they would be up against.

Vanessa Denise Stevens-

Born and Raised in Philadelphia PA.

Graduated from the Philadelphia High School for Girls.

BA-  Trial Advocacy/ Pre Law /Administration of Justice- Temple University

JD- Harvard University School of Law

Passed the bar in MA. Ct. New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Deleware

Speaks, Spanish, French and Russian fluently.

Federal Public Defender - Boston

Federal Public Defender- Philadelphia.

Senior Associate Attorney, Buckley and Settler, LLC, Cherry Hill, New Jersey

Assistant District Attorney- Philadelphia PA.



Gary walked in and leaned over her shouders..

"Ummmmmmmmmmm checking up on the opposition huh? She's the new ADA, I met her a few days ago...She seems nice." he said.

"She is very nice...I've met her too...but she's smart and tenacious and I don't want to lose to her." said Yvette She closed her laptop and put it on her night stand..


She kissed Gary slowly and softly..

"Ouuu you smell so good!" she cooed.

"Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, so do youuuuuuuuuu!" he moaned.

She climbed on top of him and eased herself down on him..

"OH MY GODDDDDDDDDDD YOU ARE SOOOOO BIG AND HARD...OUUUUUU!" she said,
moving up and down on him, nearly delirious.

"UMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM VETTIE! DAMN! WHY ARE YOU SO DAMN SEXY?" Gary asked.


"OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOU! I DON'T KNOW!"  Yvette moaned..

"OUUUUUUUUUUUU VETTIE!"moaned Gary...

"UMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM GARYYYYYY! OUUUUUUUUUUU!" moaned Yvette.

As their bed began to move up and down and their headboard began to lightly tap the wall.

For the next NINE TO TEN HOURS their attention was on each other, their bed was getting a really good workout. Yvette was having multiple orgasms that left her crying like a little girl..and her body trembling..


Gary didn't seem like he wanted to stop..


She finished her night , gasping for breath and lying on top of Gary's chest...

She'd worry about this case later.



(TO BE CONTINUED)


No comments:

Post a Comment