Thursday, June 17, 2021

Mr. Stokes


 At her room at the Marriot-


Attorney and Special Prosecutor, Linda Beavers  sipped her coffee and read the files that her investigator, Mike  Stokes had given her.

 She always liked to know everything about the cases she worked on, including the attorneys..

  

Olivia Marissa Bennett-Alexander

Graduated , Philadelphia High School for Girls

B.A. Administration of Justice, Pre-Law, Trial Advocacy -Temple University..

J.D.-University of Pennsylvania Law School

Passed the Bar, Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Deleware

 Speaks French and Spanish Fluently...

Worked as a Public Defender, 

Worked for Bach and Roach LLC, as Associate Attorney

Founding partner-Alexander & West ,Attorneys at law..

Divorced- Elwood Barnes..,Corporate Attorney 

No Children, two miscarriages..

Married-Donnie Ray Alexander

Beverly Cheryl West-East

Graduated , Philadelphia High School for Girls

B.A. Administration of Justice, Pre-Law-Trial Advocay, Temple University..

J.D.-University of Pennsylvania Law School

Passed the Bar, Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Deleware

 Speaks French and Spanish Fluently...

Worked as a Public Defender,

 Founding Partner-Alexander & West Attorney's at Law.

Daughter of Olivia's Older Half Brother, James West... Olivia's Niece

Married to Nelson East.

Nelson Sean East

Graduated, West Catholic High School-Philadelphia PA.

B.A. Administration of Justice, Pre-Law- St. Johns University, New York City
Psychology Minor...

J.D. -St. Johns Univeristy Law School, New York City..

Passed The Bar , New York, Pennsylvania, Deleware, New Jersey 

Speaks Spanish , French and Russian Fluently...

Worked as Public Defender, 

 Associate Attorney at Robert Foxworth and Associates.

Associate Attorney at Alexander and West , Attorneys at law.

Married to Beverly West

Donnie Ray Alexander

Born and Raised in New Orleans, Louisiana.

Educated in New Orleans Public Schools..

Associates Degree- New Orleans Community College-Administration of Justice, Pre Law

Homicide Detective, New Orleans Police Department, Retired.

Principal Investigator, Alexander and West Attorneys at law-Philadelphia PA.

Married to Olivia Bennett

Also a semi-professional musician

Josephine Boyd

Born in Philadelphia PA.

Raised in Red Hook Section of New York City 

Bachelors of Science, Architecture from Fisk University

Master in Business Administration- University of Pennsylvania.

Para -Legal -Alexander & West Attorneys at law.

JD- Drexel  University Law School..

Passed the Bar in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Deleware, New York

Associate Attorney-Alexander & West, Attorneys at Law, Philadelphia.


Bresha Williams

Graduated from Philadelphia High School For Girls

B.A. Administration of Justice, Pre Law- Lasalle University, Philadelphia PA.

J.D.- Middleton Law School, Bayside ,Pennsylvania.

Passed the bar, Pennsylvania, Deleware, New Jersey, New York

Speaks Spanish and French Fluently...

Presently doing an Internship at Alexander and West , Attorneys at law.


''I've heard of Olivia and Beverly...Even Nelson East, who is married to Beverly, I knew they were good , but not this astute...Wowww..and her husband, Donnie Ray Alexander, an ex homicide cop is very good, better than that idiot, Lt. Tragg...and I see she has another attorney, Josie Boyd working for her and an intern, recent graduate...Wellll she's pretty stacked..I'd better be on my peas and cues she said to her investigator, Mike Stokes.. A Private Investigator ,out of Camden County....A one time Vice Detective, A Former Sherrif's Deputy..He was known to do good work...He was also known to walk a sleazy line between the underworld and the police.


"Olivia is stacked" he thought to himself.. He found my wife quite alluring and attractive during the days he was getting information on her and the rest of us.. He remembered actually meeting her.

They were in Pink's seafood store and bistro.. He knew "Pink" , An informant turned businessman, who now ran a very successful seafood market and bistro....
''Auntay...These crab legs are the truth, look how big they are.. I told Bee Bee and Sofia ,if they want good seafood to shop here..The one in our shopping center is alright..but this right here...Is the truth."exclaimed Beverly.
"Heyyyyyy don't let Chris and Chess hear you talkin like that..."laughed Pink..The owner.

"How long you had this place Pink?"asked Olivia.


"Oh about a year....I've got some Crabs and some Porgie..Donnie Ray likes crabs, take a look over there..Your husband will love you for it."joked Pink..

''My husband will love me anyway." joked Olivia. She felty a presence behind her and smelled a cheap cologne.. Living with Donnie Ray and his rather extravagent tastes had taught her the difference

" As he should...If I was your husband...I would love you, anyway...Olivia.....You are uh...The Attorney.."said the man.


''Yes I am." said Olivia, smiling.. She was feeling kind of uneasy...He was in her personal space and she could see the huge bulge in his trousers..


"You're a very attractive woman..I-I-I've seen you and your niece on television many times and in the papers after some big case and I've always wanted to meet you in person." he said.. "WOW!" he exclaimed.  "The name is Stokes, Mike Stokes...I'm a Private Investigator" he said and showed her his license.."I mean, you being an attorney an all...If you uh ever need a P.I.  I'm your man....I live in Camden...but Philly is no thing...I know Philly just as well..." he said..


"Thank you, but I already have an investigator, my husband...He's an ex- Homicide detective..and he's very good...but I know a lot of attorneys..I'll pass them your card." said Olivia.


"Yes, you are married...Your husband is a very lucky man to , to have you." he said.


"Thank you...I've got to go now." she said and smiled, pushing past him..He made her feel extremely uncomfortable.
"Auntay, who was that man?" asked Beverly, who had made her purchases.
''Some guy named Stokes from out of Camden. He said he was a Private Investigator. He offered me his services.. I think he wanted to offer me more." said Olivia as she rang her purchases up..


"Freshie!!! It's that mini skirt ..Everytime you wear that you cause the men to lose their minds..."laughed Beverly, who had a few heads turning today ,herself.


"That guy? He's a P.I.  Used to be a Sherrif's Deputy...He's as sleazy as they come..Bad news all the way."said Pink.


"I got those vibes....Thanks Pink..Come on Neicey Poo." said Olivia.

as she and Beverly left the store..



''Snap out of whatever daydream you're in.." said Linda Beavers..She passed Mike Stokes an envelope with some money in it, His pay for his work..
"Is there uh anything else you might want?  I imagine it gets lonely in this hotel room in this big city."said Mike Stokes.
"It'll never get THAT lonely!" she thought to herself.  Mike Stokes was so sleazy ,she felt as if she would need a shower after he left.

"No that will be all." she said.


"You sure now?" he asked again..

"I'm certain...bye now." she said and locked her door after he left. He always stared at her as if he wanted to rip her clothes off.

II-


We usually avoided Sam Mother's Diner, during a trial that had anything to do with Lt. Tragg.  but we wanted to rub it in Lt. Tragg's face that we were going to win this case and that he had a weaker than weak case..



So while Olivia sat with her good friend and fellow attorney, Yvette Jones Lockwood  talking mostly girl talk and catching up on their lives..

Beverly and Nelson sat at the counter drinking coffee.

''We've been invited to Dabnis and Jazzy's house for dinner tonight." said Beverly...
"Kayla and Ray have too.. They get a lot of dinner invitations those two..I've been teasing them about it." said Nelson.

"More coffee Sam,please? Both of us." asked Nelson.

"Coming up guys." said Sam Mother.



Josie and Bresha walked in...They had just come from shoe shopping..

They sat next to Beverly and Nelson at the counter..


They ordered teas and showed Beverly their new shoes...


Lt. Tragg was sitting a few seats down from them..He was trying to listen to both conversations..What he wasn't hearing was anything new about the trial..

Gary and I were in a booth ,out of his eye sight and hearing range and we WERE talking about the case.
"I know this much...Carmaichell knew that we were breathing down his back..on the Insider Trading and the embezzlement...but he had other problems." said Gary.
"Other problems?" I asked, now very interested..


''He was being blackmailed. I wish I had discovered this sooner. He had his main bank account here ,along with one in the Caymen Islands..Rockland and I were on both...A few months ago..He set up a dummy account in Camden of all places.. He paid close to 115 large to this dummy account..Then the money vanished and the account closed all of a sudden.

Then it was found out that we had subpeoned Willie Tate , the book keeper and accountant..If we got Willie Tate to play ball..It would be game over for sure for Carmaichell..."said Gary.

"And game over for the blackmailer.."I said.


"Righttttt...So Willie Tate had to go...but it couldn't look like Carmaichell did it..."said Gary.

''So the girl comes in...Calls Assistant District Attorney Rockland Cambridge , tells him to come alone, that she and she alone can deliver Willie Tate...She comes with Drug laced Chocolates and Champaign..
They have drinks at a bar..She is cautious enough not to have her face shown and she leads a nearly drunken Rockland to that yacht...He eats the chocolates and drinks the Champaigne and he's gone..Out like a light..She strips him of his clothes and places a pair of panties on his head..Perfect set up..

But here's one thing...I'm sure whoever hired her didn't tell her a murder was involved..She was just down with the set up...Why kill her? Her job was done..She was a street girl, not the type that would be talking." I asked.


"Once she read in the papers that Rockland was arrested for murder, she might have panicked ,might have told police her part in the set up...Or it could of just been that she knew the Blackmailer..Maybe he was a cop who once busted her."said Gary.

''Or a P.I., who was once a cop that had busted her." I said,.

"Mannn Donnie Ray, I like the way you think...we'd of made great partners when I was a Homicide Detective." said Gary.. I felt the same way too, about him and Ms. Jade.

"The Blackmailer didn't want to leave any loose ends, so he strangled her and dropped her in the river..With Lt. Tragg investigating it, the Blackmailer is home free.. Rockland is under indictment for killing Willie Tate and the death of the girl is a who done it now that Rockland has been cleared.. She's just another poor Black Camden street girl...Nobody cares and neither the Philadelphia Police Department nor the Camden Police department is going to waste too much time on her murder." said Gary.

"I know" I said. It was corny, but I became a cop and later a homicide detective to solve the murders of people like Brenda Garland, throw away people.  So little value was put on their lives, regardless of what they had done.  If she had been a white girl from the suburbs...Everyone would have been in an uproar..Every detective with a gold shield would be out trying to piece together the last moments of her life.

"Ready to go Lover?" asked Olivia.
"You two enjoyed your guy talk today?" laughed Yvette.


"Heyyy Vettie, thanks for letting me borrow your husband..I learned a lot." I laughed.
'" Yeah, but now she wants me back!" said Gary, laughing.

"Who's driving?" asked Beverly..
Nelson passed her the keys..

"You are Honey Bun." said Nelson softly..
"Being the junior partner, you never have to drive," joked Josie to Bree..
Bree just smiled as we all paid our tab and walked out..


Lt. Tragg hated that he couldn't wiretap our home and now he couldn't even have unmarked police cars cruise our street...He had no choice , but to actually go over the crime scene and try to gleen some witnesses.

III-

A DAY LATER-

Olivia, Beverly, Josie, Nelson, Bresha and I were sitting around our conference room table discussing the outline for Rockland's upcoming murder case.

''We have a good chance of winning this in the pre-lims or meeting with the Special Prosecutor and appealing to her to drop this prosecution altogether. She has worked with Lt. Tragg and from the way I've seen her talking to him...I can tell she's not at all pleased with this case or his work."said Olivia.
"Any good attorney can look at this ,regardless of what side they are on and see all of the holes in it..I am really surprised Lt. Tragg got an indictment." said Beverly.
'The Body had been dead for 24 hours when they discovered it and Rockland... We know from film footage at the bar that Rockland was in the bar with Brenda Garland for at least two hours and his whereabouts can be accounted for up until he entered that Yacht..."said Josie.
"The whole scene was staged...Willie Tate was murdered somewhere else and his body was put on that boat afterwords..after Rockland was drugged...His urinalysis shows that along with the alcohol, Martinis and Champaigne mixed..He had enough Rhohypnol in his sytem to knock out a horse.."said Nelson..
"Which is how he was stripped of his clothing and his body situated the way it was.. The place was wiped down. No fingerprints or DNA, not even Rockland's..That should have been a red flag right there."said Bresha.

"Baby, any other detective would have picked that up accept Lieutenant Tragg...Hazel said that she told him not to jump to any conclusions...That they needed to do a full autopsy on Willie Tate and that rigor had set in, that the scene didn't match, and you know what he told her? That he was the detective on the scene, not her." I said, disgusted with him for the first time in a long time. His refusal to listen to anyone.
"What a butthead! There is the doorbell...I'll get it." said Alfreda.
It was Bresha's boy friend, Attorney Tony Billips... He had nine Hoagies with him.....

"I hope everybody is hungry...I had a light work day today...I'm off early, so I stopped by my guy's deli in Camden and brought these with me for everybody...He said as he spread the hoagies and napkins out.
"Bree, the Turkey Hoagie is for you and Nelson, the Roast Beef Hoagie is for you... All the rest are Italian.." said Tony...
''Ouuuu Tonnnny, I love you!" said Bresha.
"You're alright with me Tone, I don't care what Bree says about you." joked Nelson..
''Oh stop it! Thank you Tony."said Beverly...
'Thank you Tony...Pull up a seat..we are all family here...We are just preparing our case."said Olivia.
"If you find a place out there that sells Louisiana Po Boy sandwiches..Let me know Tone." I said, smiling.
"Thank you Tony." said Josie.

"You've got a keeper there Bree." laughed Alfreda, as we all chowed down...

While we ate I began to tell them about what I'd found...

"Lowell Carmaichell , the target of Rockland's investigation was being blackmailed.  He had his main bank account here ,along with one in the Caymen Islands..Rockland and Gary were up on both...A few months ago..He set up a dummy account in Camden of all places.. He paid close to 115 large to this dummy account..Then the money vanished and the account closed all of a sudden. Then it was found out that Rockland had subpeoned Willie Tate , the book keeper and accountant..If Rockland had  got Willie Tate to play ball..It would be game over for sure for Carmaichell. Willie Tate went missing in the subsequent days."

"Enter our girl Brenda Garland, she's 23, she's from Camden, got three arrests for prostitution, one conviction...Had just finished serving a two month sentence in the Women's County lock up...
She. calls Assistant District Attorney Rockland Cambridge , tells him to come alone, that she and she alone can deliver Willie Tate...She comes with Drug laced Chocolates and Champaign.. They have drinks at a bar..She is cautious enough not to have her face shown and she leads a nearly drunken Rockland to that yacht...He eats the chocolates and drinks the Champaigne and he's gone..Out like a light..She strips him of his clothes and places a pair of panties on his head..Perfect set up..

An anonymous call and report of a murder is made to the most inept Homicide detective in America and boom, Rockland is found in just his boxers , with a pair of panties on his head and a rotting corpse by the way and there it is.. You see, Willie Tate was going to turn in State's evidence..He would have to go for two reasons...He's now a liability to Carmaichell and Carmaicheal's blackmailer..but we don't want it to look like Carmaichell was behind this...So who better to frame than Rockland Cambridge, The ADA who has got him on the spot." I said.

"I'm with you so far Donnie Ray..but the girl? She had done her job? Why kill her?" asked Olivia.
"She wasn't even from Philly...Nobody knew her or her real name...Yeah, why kill her?" asked Beverly.

"Good Question...Because she knew who the blackmailer was...When she agreed to set Rockland up, She didn't know anything about a murder or a dead body...she probably thought he was being set up to get at some woman or something...Her possible discovery hours later about a murder may have spooked her or maybe...The Blackmailer...whoever is pulling strings didn't want any loose ends...So she was strangled and beaten and tossed in the river.. She's a street girl from Camden...just got out of jail..Who is going to miss her or waste time investigating her murder..??" I said.
''Wow!" said Josie.
"You know, I became a lawyer and a public defender , when I had offers of other jobs to defend people like that...People without a lot of money, people who wind up getting railroaded to jail because they can't afford proper legal help." said Nelson.  Him saying that endeared him to me. That's why I became a cop, to help people like that.
''Something else... I couldn't see her face on the bar photos, but I could see that dress and I know enough about fashion to know that that there is a very expensive dress." I said.
"WOWWWW! I'll say... I'm bettin that dress retails at $1500.00" said Beverly.
"Yes indeed...That's definitely not off the rack.."said Josie.
"That's high end fashion."said Bresha.

''Olivia..You husband is tall, dark skinned, sexy, can cook, can play a mean trumpet and knows his restaurants and women's clothing...You got a real gem."said Alfreda, smiling.

''What can I say ? I'm married to an amazing man." said Olivia, laughing.


Nelson and Tony Billips laughed and high fived..

I continued.

"That dress retails at $1750.00 to be exact and after much research, I found out where she bought it..
At a real tony boutique in town and she paid for it in cash....Now where does a workin girl get that kind of money that fast?  I asked...Then the shoes..Liv, Bev you two are the shoe mavens, care of your favorite client Creepy Stevie Graves.."I said. "Look at the shoes." I said.
"Creepy Stevie" that's funny Donnie Ray."said Beverly, laughing.
"Stopppppppppppppp, but her shoes...Those are Manolo Blahniks...like ours Neicey Poo!" said Olivia.
''Oh My God Auntay!  They are!" said Beverly..


"I found the shoe store she bought these from...In cash....And look who is in the background with her..This guy...I identified him as Michael Stokes, a Private Investigator out of Camden, Used to be A sherrif's deputy and prior to that was a Vice Detective...and guess what? He busted her two of the times she went down....Doesn't mean anything..but it does look suspicious./" I said.

''Auntay, that's the man from the fish market.."said Beverly..

''Yes it is him!" said Olivia.


''You know this guy?" I asked.
"He walked up on me in the fish market....Pink's place last week.. He seemed to know an awful lot about me .He gave me his card, but I threw it away....He told me he was a Private Investigator out of Camden and said if I ever needed an investigator to give him a call.. I told him I already have an investigator and he said that's right, you're married ..and he gave me the old your husband is a lucky man to have you bit.. I have a feeling he already knew I was married and everything else pertinent to know." said Olivia.
"He does a lot of investigative work for the county D.A.'s office, but he has been in the employ of some pretty sleazy charactors in the underworld too...Right now, check this out, he's in the employ of our Special Prosecutor from Cherry Hill Ms. Linda Beavers." I said.
"Did you say Linda Beavers?  I know her....I work with her...She's an up and comer...She recently made Senior Associate Attorney at the firm...She used to be an Assistant District Attorney for Camden County before taking a job in the private sector... That's why they called her here to be a Special Prosecutor in this case...She's , they say on a fast track to making partner...You think she's mixed up in this?" asked Tony Billips.

"No...Noooooooooo... From what I can see, She's a straight arrow.. She just hired him to do her investigative work because she doesn't trust Lt. Tragg." I said.





Alfreda, Olivia, Beverly ,Nelson and Josie all said in unison-

"CAN YOU BLAME HER?"
Bresha busted out laughing...

"You all are tooo much..." she said.

IV-


MULBERRY STREET, Rooftop Bar...

Olivia was sitting alone..She had just finished a drink, when another one was given to her.
A Citris Martini...

''I didn't order a refill" she told the bartender.

"The gentleman over there did." said the Bartender.


Mike Stokes smiled and sat down next to Olivia. 

"Citris Martini...your drink of choice." he said, smiling... He was practically drooling.

"Thank You......How did you know this was my drink of choice?" asked Olivia.


"I know a lot about you...More than you might think...Like your first husband was a very successful Corporate Attorney, nearly a millionaire..


Only, he couldn't keep his pants zipped up around other women,  You cleaned him out during the divorce and used the money .


to set up your uber -successful law practice with your niece, 


who turned down being a U.S. Attorney to help you with your law firm....

You've since added your husband, a former New Orleans cop you met while on vacation the year before , as an investigator. Your niece's husband, 

who you and your niece worked with in the Public Defender's office, as an associate attorney. Your former girl Friday, 

who you put through law school as another associate attorney,

 Beverly's mother, Your brother's ex-girlfriend as your office manager and you're pondering offering this young intern, 
who reminds you so much of yourself , a permanent job with your firm, Olivia you are going places baby."said Mike Stokes.

"Linda Beavers pay you that much to learn all of that stuff about me ? Or is some of this you?" asked Olivia.


He laughed.

"You know about Linda huh?

  It's just a job...but the rest is me...I am intruiged by you....I find you incredibly attractive  and I would like nothing better than to make crazy love to you Olivia...I swear, just one time...I'd make it worth your while...I could be very discreet...I swear...All I can think about, since I  met you was having you in my bed..tasting you, kissing you....inside of you...." he said , nearly pleading.


"Wow! You're very forward...We just met...Don't guys court women before they go for the kill?? Anyway... I'm Married...Very Happily Married, so that's never going to happen, End of conversation."said Olivia.
"I've seen your husband...Donnie Ray...Very smooth, Dresses nice, Cool...I see why you'd fall for a guy like that...So different from the square uptight Attorneys you meet in court everyday....
He dresses very nice, wears expensive suits that you pay for...

Plays the trumpet at Josie's ...Women salivate over him...Tall ,sexy well dressed man, just like you did in New Orleans..You don't think Donnie Ray ever is tempted?  Just once?? You don't think he's stepped out on you ever???" asked Mike Stokes.
"That Conversation is closed....I'm not going to repeat that.. But while we are on the subject of knowing things....I know some things about you.....


Like that Yacht on the Marina where they found Rockland and the dead accountant, Willie Tate.....That's yours....You're the co-owner , but funny thing, no one can locate the other owner...it's almost like he doesn't really exist.....

Same thing with that private plane you bought a few months ago...You and Lowell Carmaichell are said to be the co-owners..but Lowell Carmaichell told my husband, that he doesn't own that private plane or any private plane, so it's just you.

"You're a former Vice Cop, former Sherrif's Deputy , Now a P.I.   You make that kind of money doing P.I. work???...I heard last year , you almost got evicted from the building your office is in...Now all of a sudden, you're flush! Hard work huh?" said Olivia, smiling seductively.

His face dropped....

"Your husband, does very good work!" he said dryly, almost angrilly..
"He does..And if I pay him....He earns every single penny...Oh look...Here is my niecey poo...You know Beverly don't you.?" said Olivia.

"Yes I believe I have seen her in person once." he said.  He was two years older than Olivia and eleven years older than Beverly...Perhaps he was enthralled with the wrong Bennett woman...He found Beverly, equally attractive and arousing..



"I remember you from the fish market.."said Beverly, who handed him a subpeona... 'That's a subpeona.. We hope to see you in court as a hostile witness next week....You ready to go Auntay?" asked Beverly.

''Yes mam..I'm starving...Donnie Ray picked a nice place....You'll like it, we've been there before.
Good Night Mr. Stokes...I'd like to say it was nice talking to you....butttttt, it wasn't!" said Olivia.


He was furious....He somehow felt that tonight was a set up...Both women, Olivia and Beverly were nothing but teases, he thought, Just like that Brenda Garland. He couldn't stand teases.



Downstairs I was at the wheel of the car..


''I take it there was no problems." I said.

"I was in there...Everything went without a hitch.."said Nelson, who had been sitting in the ballroom.



"No torn pantyhose.."said Beverly...

"And that's how it's done.." Olivia said to Josie, who was with Paris in the car behind us


They both smiled.

''Way to go Liv" said Josie.


And Bresha And Tony



who were in the back seat of their car...

"Now if all minds are clear...Let's eat...I'm starving." said Olivia.

As we got into our two vehicles and pulled off into the night..

Upstairs at Mulberry Street
Private Investigator, Mike Stokes was angry...Olivia had turned him on and then turned him off  by serving him with a subpeona...He was furious and a little hurt..He was more than just a little obsessed with Olivia.
While he stewed, Lt. Tragg, angry as usual and a little pissed off at still not having heard from or seen Julie Baisden in ten days walked over to Mike Stokes..

''Stokes isn't it? Private Investigator from Camden right.?" said Lt. Tragg...''Do you know who I am?" he asked.

''Yeah you're Tragg, Lt. Arthur Tragg, Homicide right?" said Mike Stokes, almost laughing...


"That's right and this is my investigation....I heard Linda Beavers hired you to piggy back my findings...Well you are off the  case!!...This is my investigation, my town....You're off the case or I'll pull your license...Got it?" said an angry Lt. Tragg..


"Go suck an egg and tell it to the D.A." said Mike Stokes as he got up and walked out...


(CONCLUSION NEXT)


No comments:

Post a Comment