Monday, May 17, 2021

Art Of Murder


 A Waterfront Art Gallery is a strange place for this story to begin.. but it did...Ms. Yvette and her husband Gary were at of all places a waterfront Art Gallery...

"You are full of surprises Gary...Never pictured you as an admirer of Art." said Curator Matt Calloway.
"Oh Yes... You should have seen my other place... Now That I'm married and in a new house, I'd like to buy a nice piece for my upstairs.."said Gary...
''When I met him, I had no idea he is as deep as he is..I mean, I uh and I hate to say this.. Just thought of him as another cop...In my line of work...I've known plenty.."said Ms. Yvette..."But I went to his house the first time and saw so many books, books by great Black authors and great authors period and some very nice artwork and I started looking at him in a different way altogether." said Yvette seriously..
"You realized Gary is a rennasaince man and not just as handsome hunk with sexy green eyes" joked Virginia Calloway, who found Gary very attractive and didn't try to hide it too much..

Yvette and Gary walked through their Gallery...

"Oh My God, Virginia, Matt, this is beautiful...Oh My God!!!" said Yvette.

"Glad you like it..This was just a warehouse when we bought this property and it took us a few years, but Matt and I made it into what it is now..."said Virginia.

"We just finished paying off the last of the loans we took out to renovate this place..We are finally free and clear and making a profit.." said Matthew..

"But you didn't invite me out here to show me some new artwork, did you Matt?" asked Gary..

They both looked at each other...Finally Matthew Calloway spoke.

"Gary, we've been robbed...Twice.. Two shipments coming here carrying Artwork worth one million dollars has been hijacked...The Artwork is insured, but you see the position that puts us in." said Matthew.
"We called McCluskey/Cozen/Connor and Pratt yesterday....We want you to represent us Vettie" said Virginia.

"Represent you? Are you in any trouble? Have you called the police about these thefts?" asked Yvette.
''We did...Robbery-Homicide sent a Detective, Vern McCoulough....but I'm not satisfied with his investigation...He's been looking into the two thefts for about a month and he hasn't made any progress.  Those two stolen paintings were worth millions..

Which is why I called you Gary...I know you're an Investigator with the D.A.'s office,
Gary...I thought maybe you could look into this.. McCoulough acts like we are responsible for the thefts.. He's insulting and condescending.. I suspect he may be a racist.

We thought maybe you could look into this.." said Matt Calloway.

"I'll see what I can do...I know Detective McCoulough....He worked under me , when I was Lieutenant at Robbery-Homicide.. He's not exactly a fan of me and detectives usually don't like people like me horning in to their investigations...but I'll talk to my boss, Assistant District Attorney Rockland Cambridge about it...See what he says.."said Gary..

"I'll represent the both of you...It was smart to get legal representation..These things can turn in such strange directions..." said Ms. Yvette.
''Where are those four cute kids that usually are with you?" asked Virginia.
"They've been busy...I 've hardly seen them lately...but they should be back in the office shortly..."said Yvette.


Bee Bee and I



were part of an elite team ,Attorneys  Olivia Bennett-Alexander  and her niece, Attorney  Beverly West




had put together to work on the wrongful convictions of 16 people arrested, 12 Black and 4 Puerto Rican and convicted by a now deceased detective, Edward Clayton, who it was discovered lied and planted evidence on his suspects..and intimidated witnesses to either lie or not show up. 

Their team consisted of , of course,

Beverly's Husband, Attorney Nelson East
Attorney Josie Boyd
Their Intern, Attorney Bresha Williams
Former Public Defender, Former ADA and Olivia protoge' Jasmine Coley....
Her husband, Attorney Dabnis Coley..
Attorney Jessica Sanchez-Burrows of the Innocence Project
and her husband, Attorney Charles "Chip" Burrows
And Olivia's husband, Investigator  Donnie Ray Alexander
and our own , Jade Lee as investigators...
We worked tirelessly for about a month with ADA Karen Page of the WRONGFUL CONVICTION UNIT


and we successfully exonerated and got all 16 men released and won a huge settlement from the city!  It was in all of the Newspapers!



While our case was going on, Sofia and Kahlil were involved in a huge immigration case.. They were trying to save a Black U.S. Serviceman's  Venezeualan wife from being deported and help her get a pathway to citizenship.

Once Again, Attorney Jessica Sanchez-Burrows
and her Husband, Attorney Charles "Chip " Burrows were working on the case.. They would rush over and work on this case after spending the day at WRONGFUL CONVICTION UNIT on Olivia's big case/ They really put in some time on both cases.
Olivia's cousin, Attorney Kayla Bennett- St. Jacques..
Her Husband ,Attorney Ray St. Jacques were also working with them...
and our own, Jade Lee was the investigator...She Like Jessica and Chip was doing double duty, working both cases.


Their case was fought in Immigration court.. 

They were successful......


Tonight the four of us, really together for the first time in weeks were not too far from Ms. Yvette and Gary..
"This is soooo nice...Us being together again...I missed my friends."said Sofia..
"Yeah we saw each other in passing in the morning..."said Kahlil..
"I know man...I feel like I haven't been in our office in ages." I said.
"I know right? We've got to start telling people we come as a package deal.."laughed Bee Bee..
"Yes...All of us...Me Included." laughed Jade.


We were all at the Penns Landing , Blue Cross River Rink.


Back at the Art Gallery-

"Yeah, I miss my guys, but they are in high demand... All of my attorney friends want to work with them.. And I like that they are getting good experience.."said Yvette.
''And McCluskey/Cozen/Connor& Pratt loves all of those consultant fees you're getting from  The Innocence Project, The Wrongful Conviction Unit AKA the City and Olivia Bennett-Alexander's firm."laughed Virginia..
Yvette laughed...but it was clear that she didn't really like Virginia.


"Well Gary, will you talk to ADA Rockland Cambridge and see if you can look into this?" asked Matthew..
"Sure Matt...."said Gary as he paid for his portrait...

They were enjoying the evening...and the galley....Suddenly, TWO VERY LOUD GUNSHOTS WERE HEARD IN ANOTHER ROOM!!!


II-


Crime Scene Investigators and Police were snapping photos and picking up shell casings and searching the room for prints and DNA...

"He got a double tap doc....Two to the chest, center mast...." said a CSI guy...

"Death was instantaneous." said another.


Deputy Coroner and Forensic Investigator , Dr. Hazel Baylor was examining the body..


"This guy was a cop.... I don't know him, but his I.D. says Detective Vern McCoulough." said Hazel..


"That's the Case Detective who was working on the two Art Thefts..."said Matthew Calloway...

''Hey Hazel, how are you?  I know this guy...He worked under me when I was in Robbery-Homicide..he wasn't one of my favorite people."said Gary.
"I don't know him...I called Robbery-Homicide...Hopefully Danny Ho will be handling this." said Hazel.

"I certainly hope so...I want to look into this...He and I have a good working relationship." said Gary.
"Heyyyyy Soror!"said Yvette.
"Heyyy Vettie..What are you and Gary doing here?" asked Hazel, smiling.
"This is an Art Gallery... My husband was here purchasing art...They , the curators, Matt and Virginia hired me to represent them and they wanted Gary to take a deeper look into some art thefts...They weren't pleased with the late detective MCCoulough's investigation." said Yvette.

''Well, they won't have to worry anymore- Oh noooooooo" said Hazel...she peered down the hallway and saw two detectives heading our way...


One was Lieutenant Arthur Tragg and the other..Robbery-Homicide Detective



Mike Schlapp.....Hazel despised both....Detective Mike Schlapp was Lt. Tragg 2.0.. An arrogant , bumbling detective who had loused up his share of cases.

They both barged in and walked to the body....

"Holy Crap, that's Vern....Oh My God...That's Vern and you two killed him!" he said immediately..


''You're crazy!" said Virginia.
"He was investigating the recent art thefts in our Gallery." protested Matthew.
"You two don't have to say anything... Lieutenant Tragg I suggest you inform your high spirited  young
compatriot that before he makes such accusations , he should have proof, evidence!"said Yvette.
"Vettie don't tell me you're representing these two?" asked Lt. Tragg..
''What are you doing here Lockwood? The D.A. sent you here?" smirked Detective Schlapp.

" Whatever the D.A. has me doing is none of your business buddy..For the record...I was buying art...We didn't know Detective McCoulough was even on the premises...until we heard the gun shots...We were all in this room." said Gary, who hated Detective  Mike Schlapp with a passion, going back to the days when he was Lieutenant in Robbery-Homicide and Lieutenant in Internal Affairs when Sclapp was investigated a record six times by I.A.  There was clearly no love lost between either man.


"Are you sure of that or are you covering for one or both of them? Vern was working this case hard and he seemed to think you two robbed your own gallery." said Detective Schlapp to Virginia and Matt.

"WHAT??? THAT'S ABSURD!!! WHO THE HELL ARE YOU???" said Virginia.
"WE CALLED HIS ATTENTION TO THE THEFTS....WE CALLED HIM!!!  IT should be in his records.."said Matt..
"Relax you two...Don't say another word..If you've got a charge to make Detective...MAKE IT! Otherwise  cool it with the scurillious accusations.."said Yvette , angrilly staring down Detective Mike Schlapp.

"Scurillious Accusations....Spare me your lawyer talk.." snarled Detective Schlapp.
"Yeah, why waste words on someone who neither knows what they mean and couldn't spell the words either ." snapped back Yvette...


"Heyyyyyy I'm just as smart as the next guy!" said Detective Mike Schlapp.
"Yeah....you're right!" said Ms. Yvette...

Hazel and Gary snickered... Ms. Yvette was making a fool out of him with words......

"Alright knock it off...We don't have any record that he talked to you about anything...But he did write that he was suspicious of you two...."said Lt. Tragg.

"That's insane...I called him yesterday..."said Matt.


"We've been communicating with him for about a month, since the first theft." said Virginia.


"YEAH? Well you'll be dealing with me  now and I've got my eye on you and as for you Ms. Lawyer lady...I'd advise you to find another grade of client."said Detective Schlapp.

"Good thing I don't take advice from you....Think of where I'd be in life." said Yvette sarcastically...


"WHAT?" he snarled.

"Watch your tone son...I'll put you through the gotdamn wall and Lt. Tragg will have another homicide to investigate." snarled Gary....


"Alright, enough...ENOUGH!!! Mikey...go wait outside...Go on....That's an order!!! Hazel...We are done here...Bag him and tag him.... I don't have anything as of now...but when I do...I'll be back!  This was a damn good cop and HE WILL BE AVENGED!!" said Lt. Tragg angrilly as he stormed out!

Hazel had heard the entire exchange...She felt sorry for Gary and Yvette...

"Okay guys , let's clean up and go.." she said.


As the body of the slain Detective was put in a body bag and strapped to a gurney and wheeled out!



We were just getting ready to leave the Blue Cross River Rink and head home... We had filled up on Popcorn, Cotton Candy and Soda..and had rode on several rides and roller skated...We were good and exhausted...
"We'll sleep good tonight huh cutty?" said Sofiz to Bee Bee, her lifelong friend..
"Oh yeah..." said Bee Bee..
Kahlil yawned.... We had had a good time tonight..

"We should do this more often..." he said.
"Yeah, just us...." I said.. Tonight kind of reminded me of our days in law school...When we were called "The Four Horsemen" by our classmates...
"I envy you guys closeness..I never had a group of close friends like you guys until I met you all."said Jade Lee..
At a distance we saw a body being removed from a building..

A Police car with lights flashing...

Lt. Tragg


and another detective were talking...

"Looks like somebody was murdered  tonight."said Bee Bee..
"Yeah I see Lt. Tragg and another guy over there talking."I said.

"He'll probably arrest the wrong suspect like he always does." said Jade.
"Oh No doubt!" said Sofia, laughing hysterically.


"You're laughing...That might be our next case.." said Kahlil..

"Don't jinx us like that." laughed Jade.

Kahlil had no idea how right he was... None of us had had to deal with Lt. Tragg for close to a month...
None of us was in any rush to deal with him now...

This was the calm before the storm!

III-


We had the day off...We all decided to have breakfast at Sam Mother's Diner..

''I slept soooo good last night..."said Bee Bee.
"So did I" I said.. we had gone home and actually gone to sleep....No sex...Just sleep and I had awakened with Bee Bee snuggled up under me, breathing softly...It was pure heaven.
We both ordered  Omelettes..
Crispy Bacon
Orange Juice

and hot coffee...



Sofia and Kahlil had had an equally relaxing night..

They both had French Toast 


Bacon


Orange Juice


and hot coffee...


Detective Mike Schlapp walked in...He did a double take and  stopped at our table..

"Wellllll look who it is... I recognize you two from the newspapers...You were part of the legal team that Auntie and Niecey put together..You got those 16 criminals released and sullied up the name of a good cop. Detective Eddie Clayton, may he rest in peace." he snarled.


"You mean a corrupt and dirty cop who took bribes and kickbacks and who planted evidence on suspects don't you?" said Bee Bee..

"I believe we proved that in court.." I said.


"Damn lawyers....I hate lawyers..." said Detective Mike Schlapp.

"Until you need one right?  Get away from my colleauges and let them eat their breakfast! Or you're going to need a lawyer and soon!" said Ms. Yvette who suddenly showed up
with Ms. Jade!.


"Lawyer lady...They work with you huh? Figures!" he said and glanced at all of us..





Two African-Americans, One Puerto Rican, One Arab and One Asian...


He smirked...

"Aint you guys a mixed bag of nuts.." he replied.

''Did you come here to eat or hassle my associates?" asked Yvette.


He laughed and headed to the counter.

"I never thought I 'd say this...but I'd rather deal with Lt. Tragg." said Kahlil.
"I'd rather not deal with them at all. If this keeps up, I'm going to stop eating in here period and find somewhere else to eat." said Bee Bee.
"Yeah, me too!" said Sofia.

"I have to admit....I've thought about it myself.." I said.
"Don't let that idiot get you down..."said Yvette.
"I certainly wouldn't." said Jade as they sat down and ordered their food..

If Yesterday and last night was the calm before the storm, well, it was just starting to rain....

IV-


TWO DAYS LATER-


Matthew Calloway had just sold a piece of artwork to a customer...

He looked behind him and he saw Detective Mike Schlapp and Lt. Arthur Tragg and a phlanx of police..


"Time to close up pal....You're under arrest ." said Detective Mike Schlapp

"What? This must be some kind of mistake."said Matthew Calloway.
"It's no mistake, we found the gun, the murder weapon, registered to your wife in the dumpster out back..It passed a ballistics test...You're under arrest of first degree murder...NOW THE DETECTIVE ASKED YOU A QUESTION!!! WHERE IS YOUR WIFE?" screamed Lt. Tragg.
"I don't know...She, She may be visiting our attorneys with a retainer...." said Matthew Connaway.

"Oh this ought to be rich." laughed Detective Mike Schlapp.. " Matthew Connaway, you sir have the right to remain silent...ANYTHING you say can and WILL be held against you in a court of law, you have a right to an attorney, if you can't afford one, which right now is highly unlikely, one will be afforded you...You do understand these rights as I am explaining em to you.."laughed Detective Mike Schlapp as he handcuffed Matt..


"Let's go boys." said Lt. Tragg.


as they walked him out of his gallery...



and a swarm of reporters and media snapped photos and asked questions...


At our office, Virginia Calloway was indeed paying Yvette a retainer..


She was looking around and waiting for Ms. Yvette..
''I just love your office space...I heard you guys have been very busy, working on some landmark cases... WOW!" said Virginia Calloway with a smile.
"Yes, we have been busy lately, but it's nice to be in our office again..."said Bee Bee..
"It is." I said.
"I heard you own an Art Gallery....I might be interested in buying something for my house."said Kahlil.

''Yes, me too!" said Sofia.



"Well you guys just drop down anytime you get the notion...My husband and I would be glad to host you."said Virginia.

Ms. Yvette walked out of her office...

"Okay Virginia..we are in business..We are your attorneys of record now  on retainer. If you have any trouble out of Schlapp or Tragg, give us a call..don't say a thing.

No sooner than that was said..

''Sorry Yvette...We are here to arrest Mrs. Calloway on first degree Murder charges"said Lt. Tragg, who passed Yvette the warrant.

Detective Schlapp was beside himself with glee..

" Imagine this...I'll bet you guys didn't count on seeing me again did ya?" he asked.

"Really, I wasn't losing sleep over it!"said Bee Bee sarcastically...

Sofia and Jade cracked up laughing...

''What do you want?" I asked, in no mood to jostle with him.
''Yeah what do you want?" asked Kahlil.


Detective Schlapp put the handcuffs on Virginia Calloway.

"Virginia Calloway...you my dear have the right to remain silent...ANYTHING you say can and WILL be held against you in a court of law, you have a right to an attorney, if you can't afford one, which right now is highly unlikely, one will be afforded you...You do understand these rights as I am explaining em to you.."laughed Detective Mike Schlapp as he handcuffed Virginia. It was word for word the same speech he had given to Matthew Connaway ,just hours before.
"I don't believe this." said Virginia as she was handcuffed.
"You have no cause for this."said an angry Ms. Yvette.


"We found the gun...The murder weapon (It has passed a ballistics test ) in the dumpster behind their gallery...The gun is registered to Virginia Calloway... We have your husband in custody...We are charging you both with Conspiracy and First degree Murder." said Lt. Tragg.


"Don't say anything Virginia....Tell Matt not to say anything either...We'll be down and get you arraigned." said Ms. Yvette.


"It's not going to help you....They're guilty as hell.." laughed Detective Schlapp.

"That's up for a jury in a court of law to decide...NOT YOU!" I said.
"I can't wait until they're acquitted just so I can laugh in your face."said Kahlil.
Detective Mike Schlapp stared us both down..

"How would you two like a ride downtown with them?" he snarled.
"WHY? So we could embarrass you further? When we get them arraigned?" asked Sofia.
''And we charge you with harrassment and  with false arrest and sue your ass.?" said Bee Bee..

"Geeez, simmer down...I was just kidding."laughed Detective Schlapp, whose attempt to intimidate us had failed miserably...


"That's enough....ENOUGH!!! Mikey, take her downstairs and put her in the paddywagon!...."said Lt. Tragg..

''Sorry Yvette, but this time you've got a loser case...These two are cop killers and Art thieves." said Lt. Tragg.


"We'll see!" said Yvette....

The Storm had come.




(TO BE CONTINUED)

No comments:

Post a Comment