Monday, February 8, 2021

The Big Hurt

 


    PROLOUGE- Downtown Philadelphia... A Month Ago!

The Rooftop Jazz Club and Bar, Mulberry Street..


Attorney Greg Garland was talking to his old Law School friend, Attorney Yvette Jones-Lockwood and her new husband, Gary Lockwood, an Investigator for the D.A.'s Office.

"Sooooo Yvette, Gary, Married now huh?  Congratulations are in order.." he said.

"Thank you Greg." said Yvette.

"Thank You." said Gary..

We had worked a case with Garland once, where he was being blackmailed by a hacker who had placed Malware into his system...Malware with the potential to black the city out...
"So Greg, you had left town for awhile..I see you're back, what are you doing now.? " asked Yvette
As her drink, a Mango Martini arrived.

"I went to Miami like I said...Stayed longer than I expected to stay...Remember uh I toyed with opening my own law firm? Well Just as I was about to do that....I got an offer to work for the U.S. Attorney's Office in Miami and I uh met someone..I'm engaged Vettie..." said Greg..


"OUUUUUUUU CONGRATULATIONS GREG!!! WAIT TIL I TELL LIV!!" said Yvette..
''Congrats man, when do we meet the lucky lady?" asked Gary...


"Here she comes right now."said Greg proudly..


A very beautiful Black woman walked over to us...

"Hi...I'm Assistant U.S. Attorney Tessa Greenleaf...You must be Yvette and Gary...Pleased to meet you."she said.





Yvette spied her engagement ring...


"Ouuuuu girl...That ring is beautiful...Congratulations!" said Yvette.


"Thank You....I'm up her to wrap up one last case and then we are planning to get married...A destination wedding in Punta Canta...I need your home address, We want to invite you and your staff, the four young attorneys  and your investigator... Greg had nothing but glowing things to say about your defense and investigation for him during that Blue Malware case..." said Tessa.
"Thank Youuuuu." said Yvette..
"Thank You..." said Gary..

''I have a meeting Monday with Assistant U.S. Attorneys Karla Williams and

Todd Dellums/


We've got indictments on a White Supremacist Cell....Three guys from the Philadelphia area in communication with two from the Miami area responsible for two major bombings..It's a big case..A career making case..." said Tessa..

"Oh Myyyy...sounds juicy..." said Yvette...


''And when my girl catches em, don't defend em Vettie.."joked Greg.

"I only defend innocent clients...These guys sound like bad news.."said Yvette..


''Oh they are..They are.Laughed Tessa.
We partied well into the night...Listening to cool jazz sounds of both Reed Nelson's quintet and Downtown Rob Brown's quintet....and drinking and talking..



Tessa opened the door of her 2021 Nissan Pathfinder...


She and Gary kissed passionately for a few minutes...

"Ummmmmmmmm girl you got me so hot...I'm ready to take you right here in the back of this car.."moaned Greg as he kissed Tessa passionately..
"And I'm ready to let you do it to baby...ummmmmm, but wait until we get back to the hotel..."said Tessa.  "Ohhhhhh baby....I just noticed... I think I left my purse in the ladies room...It's got my car keys and everything in it.." she said.

''Whoa...Let me run upstairs before the club closes..I'll be right back.."said Greg, who ran up the stairs rather than wait for the elevator...

He ran in the restroom himself and retrieved her purse..

"Whew! That was close.."he said smiling as he ran out... Closer than he could imagine..



A loud explosion erupted outside the club...It was the Pathfinder...Blown to pieces in the explosion!

AN HOUR LATER-


Tessa Greenleaf was killed instantly in the explosion.....

"Whoever did this used a plastic explosive ,placed under the passenger side of the Pathfinder..A simple device that was controlled by a radio signal....The killer might have used a cell phone to trigger it."said Dr. Hazel Baylor..

"Damn, so the bomber was probably watching from say across the street" said Gary.....


"That's what I'm thinking Gary...Ohhhh no.."sighed Hazel..


Two Police cars drove up.....Facing opposite directions..


Lieutenant Tragg got out and walked over to the scene where the Pathfinder was still smouldering..

"What the hell happened here?" he asked.

''Car Bombing...The bomber used plastic explosive...a real cheap one...Under the passenger side of the car and triggered by a radio signal..possibly a cell phone...which means the bomber was right across the street, near by..."said Gary..

"Ummmmm hmmmmm, crimminy!"said Lt. Tragg.

\Lt. Tragg opened the body bag and winced at the charred remains...


"WOUUUU!, who is the victim?" he asked, startled by the charred remains..

"Tessa Greanleaf,  Assistant U.S. Attorney Tessa Greenleaf....Yvette and I were inside ,partying with her and her fiance...He would have been killed too, if he hadn't gone back in to get her pocketbook.."said Gary...


''Where is he? Nevermind..I see him.."said Lt. Tragg.


Greg was crying profusely, crying so hard, his entire body was shaking....His suit was drenched..


"It's alright Greg, Oh My Goddd...It's okay...It's Okayyy."said Yvette, who was consoling him...

"I called Sharon...Sharon Hopkins, Deputy SAC of the FBI/ATF...Since this was a Assistant U.S. Attorney...I had no idea Lt. Tragg was going to show up.."said Hazel.

"It will at least make the night more interesting.."noted Gary...

Deputy Special Agent In Charge ,Sharon Hopkins arrived with a squad
of FBI Agents
and ATF agents....

"We'll take over from here.."said Sharon..

"No the hell you won't....I am the Homicide detective here..This is MY INVESTIGATION...I'm not Sissy Van Buren.."snarled Lt. Tragg...

"Oh I know..Sissy is smarter and prettier.."said Sharon.. " The victim was an Assistant U.S. Attorney and she was involved in a major federal investigation, that makes this MY INVESTIGATION..."said Sharon..

The ATF Agents and FBI agents were already taking witness statements and examining the still smoking vehicle..



II-


ONE MONTH LATER-

We all sat in our office early in the morning.. I , Attorney Keith Jones was busy filing away the last of my and my wife, Bee Bee 's case files....


''Wow, what a few weeks we had, in court constantly.."I said.
"It's nice to have some down time.."said Bee Bee..
"Yesssssssss....Let's go out tonight...Have a nice meal somewhere after work." said Sofia..
"Yeah I'm down with that.."said Kahlil, her husband..


as we sat at our desks...
"Gooood Morning guys...Hungry?" said Jade
She brought us coffee, doughnuts

and bagels...

"Yoooooooo, thank you Ms. Jade!" I said.
''Jade, we love you!"said Bee Bee.
"Thank You Sooo much Jade!" said Sofia...
''Jade! Thank you....You read our minds...We were all talking about going out to the new truck.."said Kahlil..
"Hi Loves....Ouuuu Look!"said Ms. Yvette as she walked in..
"Dig in Ms. Yvette, there is enough for everybody.."said Jade..


As we dug into our food...Attorney Greg Garland walked in....

It had been a month...A Month since his fiance had been murdered in a car bombing outside of Mulberry Street rooftop Jazz Bar and Grill..




Gary and Ms. Yvette had flown to Miami to attend Tessa's funeral..


and Greg


Had flown out to Los Angelas for awhile and to Mexico....Now he was back in Philadelphia...

"Hello Guys." he said.

''Heyyy Greg." I said.
"Hi Greg." said Bee Bee..
"Hola Greg" said Sofia.
"Heyy man!" said Kahlil..
"Hi Greg!" said Jade...

We all knew what he had been through....What do you say to someone whose fiance has been murdered?

"Hello Greg, how are you? You wanna talk?" said Yvette quietly... "Have some coffee, and a doughnut and a bagel..There is a plenty there." she said...

"I'm not hungry Vettie...but I am here to talk...."said a very solemn Greg Garland...He didn't seem himself...He seemed different, like a smouldering volcano.

III-
"How have you been Greg?" asked Yvette...


"I'm better Vettie...I'm not all the way there yet, but better...The FBI and The ATF surrounded the bomber..He foolishly chose to shoot it out with them and they killed him in the shoot out.. They followed the money trail to Miami, where they traced his communications to three of the five guys that Tessa was making cases on....I think all of these guys are stupid..They too chose to shoot it out with the FEDS and they too caught the short end of the stick.. They're  all dead...

One of the surviving two chose to take his own life rather than face arrest and the ring leader was killed in a wild highway chase, when his car flipped over and exploded..." said Greg.

''Well good...the people responsible for Tessa's death are dead themselves.....You feel better?" asked Yvette.

"NO....I want more...That's why I'm here Vettie."said Greg, looking very serious...Almost scary to Yvette.

"Greg, they're dead! What more do you need?" asked Yvette.

"Yvette...These guys, were from modest means....Hillbillies , except for one..Yet the apartment complex that two of them were living in rivaled mine in cost...They had a cache of sophisticated military grade weaponry on them..including the plastic radio controlled bomb that killed Tessa..The bomber's bank account had close to 200 large in it and the apartment complex the three who were from  here lived in was in a much nicer part of town than they could afford...Plus, these guys had relatively new cars...None of them had any known employment..Yet they ate well and spent money like it didn't matter.Now somebody paid for all of that..Somebody financed all of that..."said Greg...

"I take it..you know who did this?" asked Yvette..


"I do....." He said and pulled out a photo of White woman...



"Her name is Cynthia Biddle...She's is the CFO of the Wellington Investment Group, a multi-national, multi-million dollar organization....She is also a Ultra-Right wing Republican, a Loon , who has been rumored to donate money to White Supremacist groups like the Proud Boys, The Oath Keepers, Quanon and others including our six guys...Here is another photo of her at a rally ,taken last summer." said Greg Garland.


''You know this how?" asked Yvette.


"I've followed the money trail...as long as I could..Then it mysteriously vanished..And not just that...She and the ring leader of this cell know each other...I followed the trail until it mysteriously vanished.."said Greg.

"Greg, what do you want?" asked  Yvette...


"I want to sue her...100 million...I WANT THAT BITCH TO HURT!!! I'll pay you whatever you need and give you all the resources you need...build a case and sue her...She lives here in Philadelphia..That's why I came to you...Will you do that for me Vettie?" he asked...

Yvette could see the tears welling up in his eyes...

"Alright.....I'll put Jade and my guys on this...I may need to employ additional attorneys...We'll do the best we can to build a case...but if there isn't anything there..then it will be what it is...and you'll have to make peace with that!"said Yvette.


"Fair enough!" he said and he got up and walked out...


Bee Bee saw him leaving...

"It's been a month...He's not over it yet huh?" she said to Ms. Yvette.

"That kind of hurt takes more than just a month..."sighed Yvette...''At any rate...I've got a job for us.."said Yvette.


"He wants us to go after Cynthia Biddle."said Kahlil..

"HOW DID YOU KNOW?" asked Yvette..


''She's all over the news..The FBI is looking into allegations that she has been financing Alt-Right and White Supremacist groups..."I said.


''She's always on Television with her Anti-Immigration and Racist views. I can't stand her."said Sofia.

"He wants to sue her... 100 Million dollars." sighed Yvette..

"Ouuuu, That's the Big Hurt, Let's go for it!" said Bee Bee.


"Well I didn't have to twist your arms."said Yvette sarcastically...

"Let me know what you need me to do." said Jade.


IV-


Yvette sat in the playground , across the street from her house with Assistant U.S. Attorney  Karla Williams.  
"I was getting bored with being a lawyer a few years back Karla  and then I was given this great assignment..Hand pick four quality minority law school grads and mentor them.. 




and it seems like they came right out of central casting....Their beauty, their intelligence, their purity and their fierceness gave me a boost, a new lease on life...and with them ,I began practicing the kind of law I always wanted to practice..." said Yvette.



"It doesn't hurt that  you got a new mannnnnnnnnn around the same time too did it.?"laughed Karla,speaking about Yvette and Gary..
her love...


"No It didn't... I rekindled my friendship with Olivia Bennett, my room -mate and best friend from law school..and I've worked with some fabulous attorneys..




My girlfriend, Olivia and her team and others, other very talented attorneys







They have allowed me and my team to practice the kind of law I've always wanted to practice.."said Yvette..


''And noowwww, noww you're taking on the boogie man or woman...A career defining case if you win it right?" laughed Karla.

"Yeah....I should be scared..I should be frightened, but I'm too stupid to realize the rabbit hole I'm falling into with this." said Yvette.


"I'm rooting for you baby girl...You guys are making a civil case against her and we are looking for criminal charges..but either way one of us or both of us is going to make that bitch , the one who made this dirt happen pay....She killed one of ours..she hurt your friend... We are going to take her down..Make her feel the Big Hurt!!"said Kim, high fiving Yvette..

"YES!" said Yvette..


(TO BE CONTINUED)

No comments:

Post a Comment