Monday, May 11, 2020

A Chill Down The Spine

An average day in court....

Attorney Beverly West -East was looking over an old file that she had just been passed....

Attorney Jasmine  Coley walked up to her..

"Hi Beverly!" she said..

"Hey Jazzy what's up?" said Beverly...

"I'm just getting out of court..Dabnis has a case today too ,so I'm waiting for him and we are going to lunch.."said Jazzy...

"I'm waiting for Nelson.... He and Josie were trying a case....She's second chair on it.."said Beverly..

''Sam Mother's has a special today...Smothered Pork Chops.. Care to join us?" asked Jasmine..

"Ouuu yeah, especially with Lt. Tragg gone for a month...It'll be so peaceful..." said Beverly...

"What you got there?" asked Jasmine..

"Oh This...Every year we do a pro bono case for the Public Defender's office...It's kind of like a tax write off...and they gave us this one..Phyliss Shafny...She was convicted of killing her estranged husband, who was sexually molesting her teenaged daughter...She's served 7 years of a life sentence..Her case is up for an appeal..They sent it to us to just look over...It might not even be worthy of appealing.."laughed Beverly..

Jasmine's eyes lit up...

"Phyliss Shafny?" she said.

"Yeah, One of yours?" asked Beverly...

"No! One of Patch's old cases... It did not go down right..Like the last one of his cases, there was something about it that wasn't right...I tried to say something...I got a stern lecture..Telling me I was no longer a Public Defender...I was an Assistant District Attorney and to act like one and a stern warning....that if I spoke out of turn again or challenged another ruling...I'd be gone. I should have said more...I should have done something Bev...but I didn't...I turned my head the other way and I became just like Patch almost.."said Jasmine..

"You're not him..You never were...You took a walk over to the dark side...Now you're back That old Bastard was born in the dark and in the end, even he couldn't stand his stench....He killed himself. That's not you...That was never our Jazzy."said Beverly, smiling..

"Look over that case...Look over the tox report carefully...Get a second opinion....Don't let this slip through the cracks Bev...."said Jasmine.

Beverly felt a cold chill....a cold chill down her spine  the way Jazzy said that.

"Okay! You know something?" she said.

"I know more than I'm at liberty to say...Just look at that tox report carefully .Oh Look, here come our people." said Jasmine..

Beverly's husband, Nelson, our newest associate, Josie and our friend, Dabnis Coley...All fresh from court cases walked toward them..

 "Hey Bev....We are done....We've created a monster...Josie here is sharp...She was spot on today in court." said Nelson..
 "Stop....I had great teachers...Liv,Bev and You...."said Josie..
"Don't forget, I helped you study for the bar."added Dabnis...

"Yes...I can't forget that.You too Dabnis."said Josie..

Olivia and I, Donnie Ray Alexander, her husband of nearly six years and investigator for her and her niece's law firm were outside on the court steps ,kissing...



"Ummmmm Husband if I weren't so hungry....We might have to take this back to the empty Judges Chambers.."said Olivia in between soft, sweet kisses...
"Yesssss I know what you mean...and if I wasn't so Hungry...I'd be tempted to take you up on it.." I said

continuing to kiss her and squeezing her one last time...

"Ouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!" she cooed..






II-

Sam Mother's Diner was nice today....

Olivia and I couldn't seem to keep our hands off of each other...

 "What's good today?" she asked looking at the menu..
''You're good every day and especially at night." I said.

"Hush Up smarty.....Look Smothered Pork Chops.."said Olivia, blushing at my compliment...

"That Looks good." I said.

 Beverly was on Nelson's lap, with her arms around his neck...
He just happened to notice her file..

"Is that the uh annual Pro-Bono thingy we do for the Public Defender's Office?" he asked..

"Yeah.....Phyliss Shafny.. There was a photo of her...
.

She was convicted of killing her estranged husband, who was sexually molesting her teenaged daughter...She's served 7 years of a life sentence..Her case is up for an appeal..They sent it to us to just look over...It might not even be worthy of appealing. At least that's what I thought...but Jazzy told me that that was one of Assistant District Attorney Arnold Patch's cases and that it did not go down right."said Beverly.

"I despised that man...He was as cut-throat as could be...Truly Evil.Knowing him and how he played fast and loose with evidence and the truth...I'm not the least bit surprised.."said Olivia..

"But we beat him Liv, you and I and Larry North...Remember?"said Nelson.

Olivia smiled.."I remember...You had just started...Larry didn't even want you involved in the case, but you came on and you helped us get the win..."laughed Olivia..

I looked over the file..

"She was convicted of poisoning her husband with LSD...He was molesting her teenaged daughter...She is serving life...She's up for parole...They think her case might warrant an appeal..Looks slam dunk to me.." I said.

"Jazzy told me that it didn't go down right...She told me to get a complete tox report and to get a second opinion...She told me that she saw some discrepancies in the case and she brought them to Patch's attention..He gave her a stern lecture about her no longer being a Public Defender, about her being an Assistant District Attorney and how she'd better act like it or she was through."said Beverly..

"My poor Jazzy...Jazzy, come here a minute!" said Olivia..

Jazzy walked over...

''Hey Liv" she said with a smile..

Olivia hugged her..

"My poor sweet Jazzy, We should have never let you go over on the other side..." she said..She meant the District Attorney's Office..." she said and laughed..

Jazzy smiled...

"I was lost for awhile Liv, but your Jazzy is back.."said Jasmine..

Dabnis pulled their table over to ours and grabbed his new wife around the waist and hugged her..

"UMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM  Ummmmph...Jazzy is back..." he moaned..

"Get off me goofball.." she laughed..

"That's what I call my husband.."laughed Beverly,


kissing Nelson, who smiled.

Josie peered at the file..

"I'd like to work on this with you." she said..



''We are all going to look into it..My dockets are clear for the time being."said Olivia.

"Yeah mine are too!"said Nelson..

"You know this might want to be something we could take to the Wrongful Conviction Unit." I said.

"If so...I want in.."asked Dabnis..

"I'll hire you like I used to hire Nelson before he came to work for us..as a consultant."said Olivia..

"He's just doing this to be near me."said Jasmine , playfully hitting her husband..

"Listen!" He said.. Hear that?" said Dabnis..

"Hear What?" I asked.

"No Lieutenant Tragg." said Dabnis..


As our Smothered Pork Chop Platters and Ice Tea arrived..





Olivia , Beverly, Josie, Jasmine and Nelson all sighed.....

 Lt. Tragg
was out on a boat in the middle of the river....

III-
In the conference room the case was laid out to ADA Karen Page..


''Well...This is the very types of cases this unit was started to look into ….How do you wish to proceed?" she asked..

"Neicy Poo, you brought us this case...How about you be the lead Attorney on this..I'll be second chair."said Olivia..

"Okay and can Jazzy be third chair?" asked Beverly...

Jasmine looked shocked...

"Me?" she said.

 "Yes...We haven't worked together in years...I think it would be fun." said Beverly...
"Yes...and I think this case will make you feel better in the end."said Olivia.

"Oh My God!  YESSSS!  Thank you!" she said, Tears welling up in her eyes...

"We get to work together babes...This will really be fun." said Dabnis..

 "The Old Gang from the Public Defenders Office will be back together again."said Nelson.
 "Oh Boyyy." said Josie..
"Nice." I said.

"This will require a trip to Dolly Madison Correctional Facility tomorrow to meet with our new client..Why don't we all go this time?" said Karen..."I'll rent a Mini Bus.." she said..

IV-



At home,

Beverly stood in our kitchen and looked at her Aunt..

 "Auntay, something about this case gives me a chill down the spine.." admitted Beverly
"Really?  Some Murders often do...but you have no reason to fear...We are behind you one hundred percent..Now go on downstairs and make love to your husband...He's been making goo goo eyes at you all afternoon.."said Olivia , who hugged her niece and kissed her on the cheek..

"Good Night Auntay, Donnie Ray....I love you!" she said.

"Love you too baby!"said Olivia..

As soon as Beverly left, I put my arms around Olivia's waste...

"I love you too.." I said..

and slipped her sundress off.....

"Oh My God...You are such a horn dog....You couldn't wait.."she said..

"No I couldn't.." I said..

"Ouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.." Olivia squealed and laughed as I tossed her on to the bed and began to make love to her...


Downstairs in her place...Nelson was smiling ,when she opened the door..This made her smile..
 "You were waiting for me?" Beverly asked Nelson..
"Of course.." he said..

Taking her into his arms and kissing her passionately....

which led to him taking her clothes off and making love to her right in their living room....

"Ouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu, you are so baddd!" Beverly moaned..

"Bad is sexy." Nelson said..

"Yessssssssssssssss…it is.." Beverly moaned..


and right around the corner at their new home..

 Jasmine smiled...

"I'm about to GET IT, aren't I?" she laughed as Dabnis eased into her personal space, unzipped her mini skirt and slipped her panties down and off..
His clothes were already coming off..

"SHO NUFF!" he said..

"Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmph...Ouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.." she moaned.. as he lifted her petite body up and entered her....

"Ouuu Dabnis please." she squealed as he tossed her on the bed...Kissing her, squeezing her tight and making sweet love to her...


Tomorrow we began a new case....

(TO BE CONTINUED)






No comments:

Post a Comment