Friday, December 2, 2022

The Golden Goat


 The press was in full force in front of the courthouse snapping photos of everything and everyone..

A Latino group known as De La Raza...was holding up signs that read, "JUSTICE FOR PEDRO!" They had a photo, a super-imposed photo of Lt. Tragg in a Klan uniform... Protesters from ANTIFA had an image of Lt. Tragg hanging in effigy....He clearly was not the favorite among these protesters....

"Here comes the defendent, Pedro Valdez and his legal team." said one of the reporters.

The De La Raza and ANTIFA protesters sent up a cheer and began whistling and clapping. Olivia, Lead Attorney David Charles, Beverly, Nelson myself and Josie were silent, not even giving the press eye contact as we walked into the courtroom..








We just kept moving through the huge crowd into the courtroom, where only a few visitors were allowed.


On the other hand, the arrival of Lead Prosecutor, James "Jumpshot Jim" Taylor was met with cheers and claps and whistles from adoring females... He was eating it up..

"TODAY...I go to do the peoples business...I go to put a crazed murderous beast away and get justice for The Cutter family...a young couple who were going about their daily life until they were brutally cut down in the prime by a beast." he said.

"YOU LIE!! FASCIST!! RACIST PIG!"yelled the protestors across the street..

Jumpshot Jim was taken aback...He had never been called such names and protested before..He looked a bit bewildered..He headed inside.


"SHADDDUP!!! BOYS! SHUT EM DOWN GOTDAMNIT!" snarled Lt. Tragg , who was booed lustily and loudly by the crowd of protestors..


A Tactical squad shoved the protestors back ...........



Bresha was already inside..


She had just gotten off of her phone.. She ran up to me..

"Donnie Ray!! Donnie Ray!!" she said., almost out of breath...I loved her exuberance, Her enthusiasm...We all did!!


I smiled.. " What is it? Don't pass out before you tell me." I said..


"I just got off the phone with Hazel...The DNA from the semen found inside of Mrs. Cutler and in her panties and the saliva found on her bra is NOT A MATCH TO PEDRO'S DNA OR MR. CUTTER!!! He did not rape her !!HE WAS NOT THERE!! IT WAS SOMEONE ELSE!! The DNA they got from the sweat on the packet of cigarettes found in the SUV is a match to the Semen in the body, on the panties and on the bra...We can prove Pedro is innocent...It will be part of Discovery as early as tomorrow Morning." said Bresha.


"That's outstanding.That proves there is someone else who is the killer." I said. I immediately told Olivia, Beverly, David Charles, Nelson , Josie and Pedro.

"That's outstanding...."said Olivia.
"That's the news we were waiting for.."said Beverly.
''We win this case on DNA...Somebody else raped her and killed her and her husband...Somebody else was in that SUV...it's all there..."said David Charles.
''And you were on the right track , even before we got involved. Pat yourself on the back."said Nelson.
''Don't you feel better Pedro?" asked Josie.
"Yes...I told them I didn't rape that woman, I told them I didn't kill her husband...I didn't even know what they look like...I was never in that area." said Pedro

"Now You can prove it." said Olivia.

She looked up...

"Brooke!!!!!" she said.


"Hi Olivia, hi guys...I came to see "The Trial Of The Year, Of The Century."  We had a wonderful Honeymoon...We came back yesterday, but I had to see this.I couldn't miss it for the world."said Brooke, hugging Olivia warmly!


" Me neither...." said Natalie...


"WELLLLL LOOK WHO IT IS! THE TURNCOATS!" snarled Lt. Tragg.



"You're a miserable petty man...I hope I never have to work a case you're involved in ever again!." said Brooke.



''Come on buddy let's go inside and get a seat."said Natalie before walking over to David..


and gave him a soft kiss....

"Good Luck Bae." she said.



"OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!" he moaned.

"Nat! Don't go getting the man all excited...He's got  a trial ahead of him..."joked Beverly...
"He'll be alright." said Bresha, laughing.
"Yeah, come on...Let's go inside." said Josie.

''Showtime" said Olivia , smiling.
"Let's go guys." I said.
"Showwwtime" said Nelson.


''What are they so jovial about?" said second chair, Chris Garcetti.

"Maybe they smell an upset!" remarked Third chair, ADA Lynne Hewitt , who smiled to herself.
She had already checked and found out the DNA results came in and were not a match to Pedro..
She couldn't get Jumpshot Jim's attention and Lt. Tragg couldn't be bothered.. Angry she decided not to say a word.



As she entered the courtroom.




II-


COURTROOM D-


Judge Ronald Coughlin, A Tough but fair Judge gave the Attorneys Instructions-

''Attorneys ,both for the Defense and the prosecution..The preliminary hearing is like a mini-trial. The prosecution will call witnesses and introduce evidence, and the defense can cross-examine witnesses. However, the defense cannot object to using certain evidence, and in fact, evidence is allowed to be presented at a preliminary hearing that could not be shown to a jury at trial. With that said.. I would like the Attorneys to Introduce themselves." he said.

"I am Assistant District Attorney James Taylor, Lead prosecutor."said Jumpshot Jim.
"I am Assistant District Attorney Christopher Garcetti" said Chris.,
"Yes, I know you...I know your father, our city's District Attorney.."said Judge Coughlin.
"I'm Assistant District Attorney, Lynne Hewitt." said Lynne.


"I am Attorney David Charles from the Public Defender's Office, Lead Attorney for the defense..."said David.

"I am Olivia Bennett-Alexander, I will be second chair on this case your honor."said Olivia.

"YES, I CERTAINLY KNOW WHO YOU ARE.....I wondered if you would ever practice in my courtroom and here you are!" said Judge Coughlin..

"My staff will be assisting Mr. Charles and I..."said Olivia.

"My niece, Attorney Beverly West-East...
Her Husband, Attorney Nelson East...
Attorney Josephine Boyd
Attorney Bresha Boyd..
and my husband, Investigator, Donnie Ray Alexander." said Olivia.


Lt. Tragg folded his arms and sat back in his chair.. He was disgusted that this young man, 

who he believed was guilty had all of this legal help. He didn't deserve it , as far as he was concerned..


He deserved a Lethal injection in the Green room at Greene Correctional Facility for men in upstate Pennsylvania.,


"Alright let's begin opening arguments." said the Judge.


"Ladies and Gentlemen, Your honor we have been robbed...We have been robbed of our innocence...A Woman, a wife, was raped...Her virtue stolen!    Stolen my friends...She lost her life...Her Husband, doing what a Husband is supposed to ,protect his wife, was murdered right along side of them and what is worse..What is worse....Their house was burned to the ground almost and their SUV was stolen , Stolen by this one man crime wave here, Pedro Valdez... a 19 year old, just one month shy of his 20th birthday...My god....what cruelty...This crime...These crimes violate our basic sense of decency, the way we feel about each other...I am asking that he be held over for trial and convicted and sentenced to death....I'd like to ask for less..I've TRIED to ask for less, but that is all I can do your honor, all I can do."said an emotional James Taylor.

"Ohhhh Brother, He's really laying on the sauce."sighed Beverly...
"He's practicing for his acting career."replied Olivia with a smile..
Josie smiled too!"Acting Career?? in What? Daytime Soaps?" asked Josie.
Nelson, usually serious and stoic doubled over in laughter at Josie's remark...
Bresha rubbed his back..
I smiled.



Lt. Tragg was very irritated with our lack of respect and reverance for Jumpshot Jim's performance...It was all he could do not to leap out of his seat and tell us to "pipe down."


"The ADA speaks of my client as if he is Charles Manson or a career criminal...Nothing could be further from the truth...This young man is a high school graduate...He's a few credits shy of graduating from Community College...He is gainfully employed, Working as a Construction worker, , He is renting a house to buy and own... My client has no priors...None at all, Not even a juvenile record...He has never been in trouble with the law before. I assume we are acting on the presumption of Innocence until PROVEN GUILTY....He has not been proven guilty... He is a productive citizen...He is a young man growing up in an area where a lot of young people foolishly buy items they know could possibly be hot, stolen from people on drugs, people willing to sell even their own items for money to get a fix.. He foolishly bought an SUV off of whoever killed the Cutters...but that is ALL he is guilty of.."said Lead Attorney David Charles.

"Your Boo is quite impressive." said Brooke.

"Yes he isssssss.Ouuuuuuuuuuuuuuu Yes he issss,,,, I'm surprised I never noticed him all those years we were working together....He really is something!" sighed Natalie.

Watching from the visitors section...


ADA James "Jumpshot Jim" Taylor called 100 witnesses over the next two days.. Supposedly an impressive show of guilt..




Olivia, Beverly and Nelson had done their homework... Almost none of his witnesses repeated the versions they gave in affadavits....All of them said something else, All of them had lapses of memory ,which was brought out by these three seasoned attorneys thus making their statements null and void...

"They're destroying our case...Didn't you check these people out???  Didn't you prep them???We won't be able to use any of them!" said ADA Lynne Hewitt..

Judge Coughlin shook his head..."They didn't prep or check out these witnesses...They can't use any of them in an actual trial...Olivia, Beverly and her husband took them apart like surgeons...They had questions prepared..Telling questions.. They are lawyering the hell out of Taylor and his team." he mused.




Both Jumpshot Jim and Chris Garcetti looked like they had swallowed a canary....Their many objections were met with push back from Josie, Bresha and Beverly


who used laws pertaining to this case, like cases and predicates to stymie both Jumpshot Jim and
Chris who were totally unprepared for this. Neither had done the research or prepared for this case the way they should and refused to listen to or entertain any of ADA Lynne Hewitt's advice or motions.

"I don't believe this.. They just took the meat out of my case."said Jumpshot Jim..

"Damn them with their questions and objections."said Chris Garcetti, frustrated and embarrassed.

"They did their homework...While you were appearing on TV shows and Podcasts and Pressers...They were doing their research...."said  Lynne Hewitt.


"Who's side are you on?" snarled Lt. Tragg... He knew if Olivia and Beverly got involved in this., This was going to happen. He knew it!


"Olivia really has her attorneys trained well...They came prepared....This looked like a slam dunk for the prosecution, but they've sure turned this thing around...made it competitive." mused the Judge..


"I KNEW IT!!! THEY'VE MUDDIED THE WATERS...THEY ALWAYS DO THIS...ALWAYS!! " screamed Lt. Tragg.


Jumpshot Jim showed crime scene photos of the crime scene and of the stolen SUV...



David Charles and Olivia challenged him to find any forensic evidence in the house belonging to their client. Fingerprints, DNA, anything!

None of the people from the Medical Examiner's Office when questioned by them both could do so...


The Next Day, Jumpshot Jim called Myorca Gonzalez, Pedro Valdez's girlfriend to the stand..
we wanted to know what she was going to say... It had to be different from what was in my affadavidt.

"Ms. Gonzalez...What time did your boyfriend come come with the SUV?" he asked.

"Uh 9:15 pm...or later!" she said.


"WHAT?  THAT IS NOT WHAT YOU SAID IN YOUR AFFADAVIT!!! YOU ARE UNDER OATH!!" screamed a very angry David Charles..

Olivia presented the affadavit-

"You said and I quote.

''So Pedro came home around 7:15 with the new SUV right?"my husband asked you and you said-


"Yeah, something like that....I already told this to the cops...He had what looked like a Brand New SUV..I asked him if he stole it...He said No that some guy had sold it to him for $600.00...I was wasted...Totally trashed.. He told me he was going to get new tags for it...and maybe get it repainted because he thought maybe the guy who sold it to him was a crackhead...He bought it up near the K & A. Kensington and Allegheny...aint nothin but crackheads and druggies in that neighborhood.. He was working on a construction job there. Then he went back out.. It was maybe 7:45 pm...I'm not sure..Like I said...I was wasted..I really hung one on after work." you said...'Now which is it?" asked Olivia, who was incensed.

Bresha produced her statement from the night of the murder, given to police which stated the same thing.

"I was White girl wasted, what can I tell you?" said Myorca.

This brought howls of Laughter from both Beverly and Josie at the defense table and Brooke and Natalie in the visitors section...They had been here everyday of the hearings.

''White girl wasted, we know a thing or two about that, don't we Jo?" asked Beverly.
"Ouuuuuuu yeah girl." laughed Josie.
"Oh My God, did she just say that?" asked Brooke.

"Yeah, she did!"laughed Natalie.




"I OBJECT, ARGUMENTATIVE YOUR HONOR!" screamed Chris Garcetti.
Beverly stood up...

"You're lying and I can prove it...Here is a copy of the police report....Our client was arrested at 8:05 pm by Lt. Tragg....There is no way he came home at 9:15...He was already in custody!" said Beverly...

''I was high...I was wasted...I don't know...I'm not sure...He told me he'd protect me..." said Myorca."


"WHO SAID THEY'D PROTECT YOU?" asked David Charles...

"Him ,Lieutenant Tragg." she said, pointing at Lt. Tragg.
"WHAT???? YOU ARE OUT OF YOUR MIND!!!" screamed Lt. Tragg.
"UNBELIEVABLE..." said David Charles , dramatically!
"Alright, Alright, Alright!!!!! ORDER!!! ORDER IN THE  COURT! Her testimony is stricken, Due to the lateness of the hour, I am going to adjourn court for today... Everybody be here tomorrow morning at 10:00 AM."said Judge Coughlin who thought to himself.. "The bottom is already falling out of this case and they aren't through the preliminaries yet."

''I don't know what you think of her as a marriage prospect Pedro, but she may have just saved your life." said Beverly to Pedro, who grimaced.
He groaned. "Ughhhhhhhh she's a damn drunk...I'm getting rid of her after this trial." he said.
"Cheer up kid..we haven't even begun our defense yet.." I said.
"We did better than I thought.." said Josie..
"I know...We've decimated their case and we haven't even presented our defense yet."said Bresha.


"Come on let's get out of here." said Nelson.

''Did you guys cross check the timeline she presented? She just made us look like fools... This Public Defender with help from Olivia, Beverly, Nelson, Josie and Bresha just deep sixed whatever case you were building and they haven't even put on a defense...Did you guys prepare for this at all??  They're making you look like first year attorneys.."said Lynne..
"I-I-We have a slam dunk case...I mean this guy did it..."said Jumpshot Jim as if he was trying to convince himself.
"How can you say that? They've discredited all of our witnesses...Witnesses who can't keep a story straight or a description...We have no solid forensic evidence.. and lord knows what those DNA tests will bring back... Tragg once again, you did a sloppy investigation. You should have checked his alibi before you ever brought this case to the D.A.'s office.. " said Chris Garcetti..
"DON'T BLAME ME FOR THIS!" said Lt. Tragg..
"Well who should we blame ??? You're the Detective,,,You're the investigator here or that's the rumor..Did you check this kid's alibi?? I understand he was getting off from work , miles away during the timeline in which the crime was committed...If I know this you'd better know David Charles ,Olivia ,Beverly and company know it too!" said Lynne.

"YOU SOUND LIKE YOU'RE MORE A FAN OF THE DEFENSE THAN OF US!" snarled Lt. Tragg.
"Uh Lynne , you don't appear to be a team player here...Maybe this team is not for you."said Jumpshot Jim.
"You know what? It's not...I quit!! You're an idiot Jumpshot Jim....HAH, you stunk up the courtroom with this case!" said Lynne.


She grabbed her legal roller with her brief case and walked off..

"GOOD LUCK...YOU'RE GONNA NEED IT!" she said as she walked off..

This now made Three female ADA's who had been let go from his team... The newspapers were going to eat this up.

In a matter of days..Jumpshot Jim had gone from the Golden Avenger to the Golden Goat!



Chris Garcetti stared at her as she left...He wondered if now was the time for him to abandon ship also.




III-


Tonight was a rare night.. We didn't have any dinner guests... Just our staff and their spouses...

"This came from a group De La Raza...for us today.."said Alfreda. We had two cold cut trays...





with, rolls, mayo, mustard for sandwiches and condiments, Lettuce ,Tomatoes, Onions, Pickles, Lettuce and peppers.

Olivia was sitting on my lap...She was exhausted..

"This is a god send...I didn't feel like cooking and believe it or not..I didn't feel like going anywhere to eat...I'm just happy to be home."she said, hugging me.
"You guys have been doing a bang up job in court...We haven't even put on our defense and you guys have decimated the prosecution" I said.
"Can you imagine us in front of a jury"laughed Beverly...
"He's going to want to retool...He knows now that his case is falling apart...His slam dunk case...His flawless case..His inevitable conviction is not so certain anymore." said Nelson.
"He's close to closing his case... Now we have witnesses from Pedro's job and his timesheets, who will prove he couldn't have been in the area during the murder..He would have had to leave the job earlier, rape and kill the Cutters, set their house on fire and then rush back to the K and A.  Impossible...Physically..."said Josie..
"He just shouldn't have bought that SUV...No matter how tempting."said Paris.
''Doesn't matter.. We have DNA evidence which exonerates him. PEDRO's DNA is not a match for whoever raped and murdered Mrs. Cutter, we know that it was someone else...The same person who bought the cigarettes and left them by accident in the SUV is the killer and rapist...The same person who sold Pedro the SUV....He saw the Killer...He just didn't know it."said Bresha.
"Wow! Sounds like you have enough to get him off without a trial."said Tony...

"That's what we are hoping."said Olivia.
"Hey guys check this out..Either Lynne Hewitt was let go or she quit the team...but when you return to court tomorrow...You'll just be facing Jumpshot Jimmy and Chris Garcetti...Tweedle Dum and Tweedle Dumber." said Rockland who didn't care for either of them...


He poured himself a glass of Ice tea.

"Heyyyyyyy that's what I say. So Lynne Hewitt is out huh? Good!  There goes their brain trust." said Beverly....

"They didn't appear to listen to her much, just like they didn't listen to Brooke or Nat..They just wanted them there for window dressing."said Olivia.

Bresha laughed..

"I think Jumpshot Jim has a problem with women, Intelligent ,Outspoken women...We know Lt. Tragg has a problem with women." she said.
"Hey where is David tonight?" asked Josie.
Nelson smiled sheepishly...

"He's uh down stairs , with Nat." he said, smiling.




And in our sub-basement...


Natalie and David decided to bypass dinner with us...They needed to be with each other..


"Awwww Natalie when you kiss me like that in the morning, I-I get all turned on and all I can think about is you...."moaned David..

"I want you to think about me..." she said.


"I have to be able to concentrate on my case..." he said quietly....

"Yesss you do ..I'll try not to turn you on so much... but right noww...now that we are all alone...all bets are off." she said with a wicked smile..
"Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm" he moaned,unzippering her dress... "Ouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!" he moaned softly...



He slipped her panties down...

"OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH MYYYYYYYYYYYY DAMNNNN!  OHHHHHHHH NATALIE!" he moaned..

"OUUUUUUUUUUUUUU DAVID....UMMMMMMMMMMM! Look at youuuuu ouuuuu, all big and hard......WOUUUUUUUU!" she moaned..


He lifted her up and entered her..

"OUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU DAVID....I LOOK FORWARD TO THIS EVERYDAY...MMMMMMMMMM YOU'VE GOT ME SPOILED!!!"she moaned...

"AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW LAWWWWWWD! SO DO I....WHEN YOU KISS ME IN THE MORNING BEFORE TRIAL, I HAD TO TAKE  MY SUIT JACKET OFF TO HIDE HOW EXCITED YOU GOT ME....WOAHHHHH!" moaned David..

"UMMMMMMMMMMM I DO THAT TO YOU?" she cooed.

"YESSSSSSSS! " he moaned..

She giggled like a school girl..

"I'M GLAD! LOOK AT YOU, SO BIG, SO DAMN HARD!!!OUUUUUUU MY GOODNESS!" she said..


He placed her on the bathroom sink and began to move slowly inside of her and kiss her passionately...

"OUUUUUUUUUUUUUU! OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH DAVID!! UMMMMMMMMMMMM"she moaned.. 

"I HAVE HAD DREAMS OF DOING THIS TO YOU!!!" he moaned...

"OUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!" she coooed..

She is having an intense orgasm!

"OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH MY GODDDDDDDDDD!!! DAVID!!!!"

"OHHHHHH GIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRL" he cried out... 
"Natalie ,I love you!"said David as they sat on the side of the bed.. her moving up and down and smothering him with slow, soft kisses that was driving David wild...

"David ,I love you too!" she remarked as they continued to kiss and she continued to ride him up and down.

They made love for the next EIGHT TO NINE HOURS!.


She lie on his chest, catching her breath afterword.....

"This has been the best two weeks of my life...Thank you!" she whispered in his ear..

"Thank youuuuuuu! It's been wonderful for me too!" he said to her, hugging her.

"Ummmmmmmmm I love you David." she said...

"Love you too Nat." he said.


"Mmmmmmmmmmmm" he moaned.. They kissed some more..
"OUUUUUUUU DAVID, YOU DIDN'T GET ENOUGH??" Natalie moaned.. as she rode him cowgirl style for another HOUR or so.


She lie on top of him trying to catch her breath....Totally satisfied....Trembling a little bit....

"Take that goofy smile off your face...Stop looking so ,so damn satisfied." she said....Laughing.



IV-


TWO DAYS LATER-
"I knew he was going to close yesterday....He was hoping you guys wouldn't put on a defense. He needs this weekend to retool his prosecution."laughed Natalie.
"He's not going to get a chance...Olivia says she can wrap this up in two days...We won't need to go to trial ,Pedro is going home." said David.




David and Natalie were enjoying breakfast at Sam Mother's Diner. We had decided not to do that , We didn't want to run into Lt. Tragg and have our breakfast ruined..

They took a chance, but they managed to finish their breakfast , just as he walked in..


He began his walk toward their table...

Natalie plunked a few dollars on the table..She was paying for Breakfast..
David Charles stared in Lt. Tragg's face-

"YOU GOT THE WRONG GUY!" he said boldly before Lt. Tragg could say anything.

Lt. Tragg was fit to be tied...but by then, They both were walking out of the diner and headed for court.


COURTROOM D-

The first Day of Our Defense.


Olivia and Beverly called 75 witnesses over the next two days who worked on the Construction site with Pedro and who swore that he didn't leave work until 5:00 pm.
David produced his time sheets  and showed a panoramic view of the Mayfair area where the murders took place in between  3:30 and 4:45... and explained how there is no way our client could have been in Mayfair and then at the Kand A. when he was clearly at work, but the killer, he said, the real killer could be..
Pedro looked relaxed..Very relaxed for the first time..

Chris Garcetti did his best imitation of Natalie, trying to cross examine our witnesses...but they were well coached and did not budge..



Nelson, Josie and Bresha tied him up with multiple objections using more laws pertaining to this case, like cases and predicates to stymie Chris who was totally unprepared for this.He had not done the research or prepared for this case the way he or Jumpshot Jim should have.. 

Frustrated, Chris tossed his suit jacket up in the air..
 

I laughed and passed Beverly a dollar.

She had said before this trial was over..Chris Garcetti was going to toss his suit jacket up in the air.


David and Olivia brought on Dr. Charles Oakley, a noted Psychologist and Psycho therapist to give his expert opinion on the crime.

"I've looked over the crime scene and I've read the crime report and looked at the photos...and in my opinion...In my expert opinion...This was not a crime of opportunity...This was cold and calculated...The work of a Psychopath.....Psychopaths are incapable of empathy and forming loving relationships. However, they can pretend to be charming and loving, so those around them can't always detect their lack of empathy. Psychopaths also have no conscience or moral compass, so they do not feel guilt. This man here, Pedro Valdez is not a Psychopath or Sociopath...he has loving relationships, He has empathy as described by the charactor witnesses and his co-workers...This is NOT in my opinion a young man who could have committed this...and I'll say this in closing. When you find the person who really did this, you'll find that HE HAS DONE THIS BEFORE!!! Mark my words." he said.

"OH FOR THE LOVE OF PETE...OLIVIA IS THROWING EVERYTHING BUT THE KITCHEN SINK AT THE WALL!" bellowed Lt. Tragg who had the sick feeling in his stomach that the entire case was falling apart...His slam dunk case... A seemingly easy case that now looked murkier and murkier.
Chris Garcetti looked sick on his stomach
Jumpshot Jim wanted them to close so that he could retool before the trial began. He sat quietly with his face in his hands, looking every bit like the Golden Goat!



Olivia and Beverly were just about through...They were about to produce the most damning evidence..

They called several people from the Medical Examiner's Lab... They produced the pair of panties belonging to the dead woman...and photos of the semen stains...They produced photos of the DNA Tests...

They Produced the Bra with photos of Saliva taken at the crime scene.. and lastly they produced a photo of a pack of cigarettes found in the back of the SUV with sweat on it...and an unknown latent fingerprint.

They all were a 100 percent DNA match......FOR SOMEONE ELSE!!!! They had tested them against Pedro Valdez's DNA...This proved beyond a doubt that Pedro Valdez was not the rapist...and that he more than likely didn't steal the SUV.

Nelson produced the police report that stated his hands were tested for the residue that is usually on your hands when you've fired a gun there was none.
And Josie produced another report that said there was no flame retardent on his hands or clothes, which would have been there had he of recently set a fire.

Bresha showed Street Cam footage of him standing on the corner waiting for a bus ,just like he said at 5:15...after the murder/rape /arson...

"No way he could have covered that area on foot unless he left work early, which we have testimony to the contrary." said Bresha.




"I think we have proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that my client wasn't at the scene and definitely is not a murderer or rapist or arsonist..The defense asked that all charges be set aside..." said David..


"Mr. Charles...You have made a good point and I am compelled to agree that you have presented a preponderance of evidence that leads me to the opinion that Mr. Valdez is in fact innocent and that charges should be dropped."said the Judge..


Just then FBI Deputy Special Agent in Charge, Sharon Hopkins walked into the courtroom...

"Your honor...I am with the FBI.....We have captured a man named Warren Duley....based on the DNA information and a latent fingerprint smudge on that pack of cigarettes found in the Cutter's stolen SUV..
He has confessed to the Cutter murders , Arson, Rape and the stolen SUV... and in addition, another simular Murder /Rape and Arson of another couple about five years ago in Ohio that went unsolved until now...We have a DNA match in both cases..." she said.


"Thank You....Mr. Valdez, you are free to go...We are sorry for the ordeal you had to go through.."said the Judge.

"AYE MIOS DIOS....THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! MY LONG NIGHTMARE IS OVER!!" said Pedro Valdez.
"I told you I was going to get you off buddy, I told you."said David Charles ,hugging him.
"YES YOU DID AND THANK YOU MS. OLIVIA, MS. BEVERLY FOR EVERYTHING YOU GUYS DID!"said Pedro.
"You are certainly welcome. Pedro.."said Olivia.
"You are certainly welcome Pedro." said Beverly.
"MR. NELSON, YOU WERE GREAT!! THANK YOUUUU!" said Pedro. "ALL OF YOU WERE, MS. JOSIE, MS. BRESHA, MR. DONNIE RAY." said a very happy, very tearful Pedro.
"Anytime mannn, Anytime!" said Nelson, shaking his hand.
"You are certainly welcome. Pedro.."said Josie.
"AWWW, YOU ARE SO WELCOME PEDRO." said Bresha.
''Don't buy anymore SUV's off the street." I said.


"I won't be doing that again, ever!" he laughed..

"Thank you....Thank you....I couldn't have done this without you and your staff."said David Charles.
''Yes you could have...You were doing great when we first saw you.. We were all impressed...We just did a little fine tuning..You were just fine and you're going to be a great lawyer..I expect to see and hear big things from you."said Olivia, hugging David.


The Press was waiting in full force as we walked out with the newly exonerated Pedro Valdez.









We waved and gave short statements to the press...

Chris Garcetti ducked out of the side door.. He had had enough of this.
No one wanted to talk to Jumpshot Jim...who had dropped the ball on this. He grumbled..

"TRAGG THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT...ONCE AGAIN YOU ARRESTED THE WRONG GUY!!!
ARGHHHHHHH! YOU'VE MADE ME LOOK LIKE A COMPLETE FOOL!" he said.

"YOU DO A GOOD ENOUGH JOB OF THAT YOURSELF" grumbled Lt. Tragg, livid at being out dueled by us again.




EPILOUGE-


The FBI arrested 37 year old William Duley...He confessed to the murders of the Cutters as well as the rape and arson.  Pedro Valdez identified him as the man with the limp who sold him the SUV he had stolen from the Cutters... Duley also confessed to a simular Rape and Murder of another couple in Cleveland ,Ohio in which he had burned the house down also..  It was 5 years ago and had gone unsolved.

He was  tried and convicted and sentenced to death... He waived all of his appeals and is awaiting the death penalty by Lethal Injection.



David Charles was hailed as ''David who slew Goliath" in legal circles..He had won an "unwinnable" case. He was the Hero of the day..


Our good friend, B.L. Benz featured him on his T.V. Show....



The Movie Company and the Television producers who all fawned over Jumpshot Jim stopped calling..No one wanted to be associated with a loser..The T.V. Talk show offer fell through as well as the PODCAST OFFER!

The same was true for Lt. Tragg, Once again he had arrested the wrong man... His Talk Show offer was canned immediately...as well as the offer for a PODCAST....Everything that was on the line with this case was now off the table.



Chris Garcetti and Lynne Hewitt managed to escape public scrutiny....

WE CELEBRATED THE VICTORY IN STYLE AT CURLEYS OF ALL PLACES...WE WANTED TO RUB IT IN LT. TRAGG"S FACE!


"IT'S A CELEBRATION EVERYBODY!" said Olivia, popping the first bottle in glee!


We ordered the best champaigne in the house and popped bottles.


David and Natalie  kissed each other passionately...

''David I'll move in with you...Only if we buy a new place together.." said Natalie.
"I'll do anything you want, just to be with you everyday like we have been at Olivia and Beverly's place." he said.

"Ohhhh David." she said in between kisses..
"You were wonderful David."said her best friend, Brooke.
"There might be spots for all three of you at the Federal Public Defender's office.. It's higher pay and a step up from the City." said her husband, Sean Marks..''You should think about it. all three of you." he said.
"You know when I was a Public Defender, I didn't even know about the Federal Public Defender's Office.. If I had...I would have certainly of taken it.." said Olivia.
"I might have never of met you...You'd of been happy " I said, Hugging Olivia and squeezing her tight..She was sitting on my lap.
"Things turn out the way they are supposed to I guess."said Beverly ,who was also sitting on Nelson's lap.
"Yeah they do."said Nelson.
"I'm just glad I met you guys when I did.. I was almost tempted to move back to New York."said Josie.
"I'm glad you didn't."said Paris.
"Yeah me too!"said Bresha.
''Ditto."said Tony.
"Ouuuuuu this Champaigne has me a little tipsy."said Alfreda, who was sitting in Rockland's lap..
"Ouuuuuuuuuu." he said.

"I was so happy when I saw on the news that Liv and the gang got that guy off..I was beginning to think he was innocent too!"said Ms. Yvette.
"If Tragg arrested him, I knew he must be innocent."said Gary..
"Just a little police work, just a little and he'd of realized he had the wrong man."said Keith.
"I wonder if he would have admitted it and let the boy go." asked Bee Bee.
"Probably not, just because Olivia and Beverly were involved in it."said Sofia.
"After they got on TV and said a conviction was just a fore gone conclusion, they couldn't back down."said Kahlil.
"They shouldn't have said anything...Not until they got a conviction...Then the both of them, Jumpshot Jim and Tragg wouldn't have looked so bad."said Jade.
"I heard all of the  Movie Company and the Television producers who all fawned over Jumpshot Jim stopped calling..No one wanted to be associated with a loser..The T.V. Talk show offer fell through as well as the PODCAST OFFER!" said Lt. Danny Ho who was laughing so hard, he was shaking...Tears were flowing down his cheeks.
"Yeah the same thing for Tragg...His Talk Show offer was canned immediately...as well as the offer for a PODCAST....Everything that was on the line with this case was now off the table."said Ms. Virginia.
Jetty spit his drink out ,laughing...

"Awwwww man, I know he's fit to be tied." he said.

"Ouuuuu I know he is."laughed Zoey.

"You guys are enjoying this too much." said Lem.

'You know he's going to come in here whining and complaining and bitching and moaning."said Kayla.
''About what? They proved the young man was innocent and the FBI arrested a man who confessed..He can't be mad at people doing their job."said Ray.
"You got a point, but when has that stopped him before. Logic just escapes him."said Jazzy.
"Among other things."laughed her husband, Dabnis.

Pedro and his girlfriend Myorca also came and were sitting with Jessica and  Chip having a nice conversation.






Lt. Tragg walked in.. Usually after a victory , we were all as far from Curleys as possible, but here tonight, We were all brazenly in his joint.. taking up a lot of space, celebrating, drinking champaigne..He was livid...Of all the gaul..The nerve!! He thought..

He walked over to David and Natalie....



He looked at Natalie...

"THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT....YOU TOLD HIM TO ENLIST OLIVIA AND BEVERLY's HELP AND YOU.....YOU DID IT....THAT'S THE ONLY WAY YOU WON THIS CASE!" he snarled angrily.

"You don't care that you would have sent an innocent young man to his death or at best to prison for the rest of his life...You just cared about basking in glory and getting a PODCAST and your own TV talk show! You are beyond pathetic...You are just plain evil..."said Natalie.

''I told you you got the wrong guy and I proved it! The FBI got the right guy...He confessed....You got the wrong guy..."said David Charles.
"The Trial is over!! There is nothing more to talk about, Case CLOSED!!! SO GOODBYE!!" said Olivia sternly...
"I'm sure you've seen our buses outside...You know we are being taken back by the buses...even the former suspect and his girlfriend...He's going back with us...So you've got no one to hassle." said Beverly.


He stood there brooding and staring at us for a HALF HOUR, then finally bored, he turned and walked out of the bar without ordering a thing!


FOR SLC

4 comments:

  1. As usual, an excellent story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved it! Just loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really enjoyed this story...Glad they got that kid off, I had no doubt they weren't...The Love story between Natalie and David was nice too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would love to see more of Natalie and David

    ReplyDelete