Monday, January 25, 2021

State Of Play


 We all sat in our favorite away spot...Laughing and drinking with the man, the attorney known as "Hoagie"


"Livy...I didn't know you knew about this place...This is my get away spot..."said Hoagie..real name, Attorney,Franklin Trevor Carmaichel....known as the dean of Black Attorneys in Philadelphia..


"We traced a client here once and we discovered we liked it.." said Olivia..

''We love the ambience.."laughed Beverly...

"Listen at your niece....Listen at your wife Nelson.."laughed Hoagie.. "I remember when you brought Nelson to me....When you were training him..."laughed Hoagie..


"He was tough...Almost had me in tears...but in the end...I learned...I knew what I needed to do.."said a grateful Nelson..

"You don't think he had me in tears, when he was teaching me?" asked Olivia..

"I just can't imagine that.."said Josie...

"Me neither.." I said..

"Oh Beverly cried too....so did Yvette Jones..

Cried like a baby...but hung with me..She'll tell anybody that she's the tough attorney she is today because of me.. and I see that she's training those four attorneys under her the same way I trained her..



"I see her with them in court...They are very disciplined, always prepared, always tight...Just like I taught her..

"Speaking of crying...Only two that didn't cry were Keith Wallace and Jasmine Jenkins...




They got angry...but no tears.....but in the end...They loved me...I prepared them for the real world of law that they couldn't learn in law school...

Her husband, Dabnis won't admit it...but I even brought him to tears...but he's a great attorney , just like you all are...and if I hadn't of thought so...I wouldn't have wasted one minute of my time on any of you. " said Hoagie..

"Well Congratulations to you...When I heard you made State's Attorney...I said they couldn't have picked a better guy..Everything I am as a trial attorney, you taught me..How to prepare a case, how to pick a jury,what to look for , human nature..all the tricks and nuances of being a trial attorney and I've tried to teach it to Bev, Nelson and Josie here as well as Yvette's young protoge's ,when they've worked for me.."said Olivia..


"Thank you...and I can't tell you how proud I am of all of you...Law Firm of your own, callin the shots, real ballers...Yvette on a fast track to making partner at her firm...training four new attorneys..I love it and if I ever see you guys ,You know I'll do what I can to help you...buttttt..if you do like I told ya..You won't need to see me."laughed Hoagie..

"Ohhhh Hoagie.."laughed Beverly, hugging him....



As a round of drinks arrived....

'Heyyy guys, don't drink too much without us." said Yvette Jones -Lockwood, who arrived with her protoge's
Keith Jones

Bee Bee Evans-Jones
Sofia Garcia-Ahmed
and Kahlil Ahmed..
Jade Lee, their investigator was with them too!

They all came to pay tribute to the man, the legend, who had just been elected States Attorney...

"Heyyyy Hoagie Head." said Jasmine "Jazzy" Coley..
"Heyyy Hoagie.."said her husband, Dabnis Coley, both mentored by Hoagie at one time or other 
"Hola Hoagie."said Jessica Sanchez- Burrows, also mentored by Hoagie..
and her husband, Chip Burrows, who had heard of him..
"Ohhhhhhhh the man, the myth, the legend." said ADA Keith Wallace..who was here with his wife, 
Detective Carlotta Wallace..


They all sat down at adjourning tables and ordered drinks..

"Hoagie" was happy that all of the attorneys whose lives he had touched, who he had mentored ,who he had applied tough love to at times..understood him, got him and had come to thank him...and wish him well on his new position..


Tonight was a nice mellow night.. and like most nights like it..The calm before the storm..




II-


TWO DAYS LATER-

The Corruption trial of Steve Hough was going on.. Steve Hough had been a very successful Assistant District Attorney a few years back and now was in private practice...He was Chief counsel for the Bridgerton Investment Group, making a quarter of a million dollars a year on retainer alone..He had done very well for himself until his name was mentioned in an age old trial of a now deceased gangster, who had left behind some damning evidence that suggested his freedom was "bought and paid for in a deal with the Prosecutor and a Judge...


He was testifying and being grilled hard by Assistant District Attorney Diane Baronski

She was becoming the star of the District Attorney's office..After losing two cases..One to Yvette and her guys






 and another to us..





Cases she would like to forget..

She went on a 20 case winning streak since those two losses..Her record was now 30-2... And she was looking to win this case too...


Steve Hough was a former Assistant District Attorney, now in private practice accused of fixing a very controversial case several years before... He was sweating profusely...


"Is it not true that you and a current States Attorney , not named in this affadavit conspired to not only tamper with a juror, a police officer, but attempted to bribe a judge, also not named in this affadavit..A Judge ,who gave you a job in private practice sometime later?" asked ADA Baronski, who had been going hard..


"I-I-I refuse to answer on the grounds that I may incriminate myself.." he said sweating... "I -I need to seek the advice of counsel.." he said, sweating profusely..


"You have counsel." she said..

His attorney, Keith Ross stood up..

"Your honor...I request a continuance.." he said, sighing..


Judge Tad Thornton smiled..

"You know what? I'm going to allow it...In two days...I want you back here and I want you prepared..." he said.

ADA Diane Baronski smiled... She had him where she wanted him...She was about to win this case..She laughed with glee..


In a Tony Downtown restaurant, Hoagie prepared to enjoy a delicious Italian meal..



The aroma of his food, creamy Fetticunie Alfredo was driving him crazy...

"Ohhhhhh this is soooooo good!  sooo damn goood " he said.

"Ouuuuuuu you used to say that about me.." came the voice of a pretty young Black woman..

"Lindsey????....Oh My God it's you!!!...How long as it been?" said Hoagie..

"A number of years...Congratulations are due...you're the new Democratic States Attorney elect from this area...Nice..."said Lindsey...

"Thank You....and uh what are you doing for yourself now?" he asked.

"I was working at the U.S. Attorney's Office in D.C. for awhile...Now I'm back in the city...I'm Assistant Chief counsel  at the Broderick Investment firm for now...You still dating the Panty girl?" she asked..She was reffering to 

Bridget Jones, who owned two lingerie stores....Lady Chatterlies Lover, Panties and Bras for the Discriminating Woman and a smaller outlet store called Simply Underwear. Both of her stores were in Chris and Chess's shopping centers and the original flagship stores were on the other side of town...



"Uh no...Bridget and I uh broke up...It was a mutual thing..We are still good friends."said Hoagie.


"Just like you and me are STILL GOOD FRIENDS!" she said and laughed.
She started out like so many other young attorneys who had just passed the bar as a clerk at his law firm,but she was different....She had a hold on him like no other lawyer who had come through...After about a year, they were making crazy love all afternoon in the backroom of his office..

Making love in her small apartment all weekend..
and that meant all weekend long.

and in everyway, shape and form...
both of them wondered where their professional relationship ended and their personal relationship began.


She left him!!!..It drove him crazy for awhile..but she left him...She persued her career elsewhere.

She was a good attorney and she represented several area companies for awhile and then left Philly altogether..She worked in the U.S. Attorney's Office in D.C. for a spell, then left to try her hand in the private sector.

When she returned to Philly a few years ago around Christmas...She found Hoagie was involved with a businesswoman... Bridget Jones, owner of two very profitable lingerie stores...She reffered to Bridget derisively as the "Panty girl"

Hoagie began to eat his food..

"So Lindsey...How long are you in town for?  Where are you staying?" he said 



as he began to enjoy his food..


"I'm subletting a small loft from an old friend from law school..You should stop by...Have a drink with me... Oh and uh if I was you...I'd meet with your  law partner, Keith Ross...He's having trouble in court...Trouble that could come back and bite you in the ass...but you didn't hear that from me.."she laughed.. "Byyyyyye Hoagie." she laughed and walked away..

"Huh? What? What are you talking about?" he asked...but she had gone....


III-


Curley's Bar...

"You like this bar don't you Donnie Ray...It being a cop bar and all huh?"joked my pretty wife, Olivia.

"This is like no cop bar I've ever been in..Most cop bars are dives...This is a bar OWNED by a cop...there is a big difference.."I explained..

"You know...I'm not kidding...You could be a very good attorney...Would you like me to send you to law school like we did Josie? I'm serious..."Olivia said half jokingly, Half serious...

I smiled..

"I'm surrounded by lawyers...Even Josie girl.." I said and pinched her..
She smiled and giggled... We used to be the only two in the bunch that weren't lawyers when I first arrived in Philly...Now even she was an attorney now..
"I must admit...I enjoy this bar myself...It's nice...They have a lot of monitors and the drinks are cheap and the food is good.."said Nelson.

"I admit, I enjoy it too...but not half as much as that guy.." said Beverly...


A well dressed white man fell off of his stool for the third time tonight...He was sitting by himself and had imbibed quite a bit..It was Steven Hough, former Assistant District Attorney, now an Attorney in private practice and now, very drunk!

He had downed five Martini's

and ten beers...

"Alright, Alright, Alright...Nobody serve this man another drink...Get up Stevie...Come on..."said Curley, the owner..

"I got here as soon as I could Curley, thanks for calling me.."said Attorney Keith Ross..

"Keith, He's in no mood to drive...He's been in here all afternoon..."said Curley..

''Yeah, we had a bad day in court today..."said Attorney Keith Ross.

"You never had bad days like that when I was on the job eh Ross? You and Hoagie used to prepare your clients well.."laughed Curley, who used to be a Homicide Detective...


"I know Curley....Those were the days...Not like now of days...Heh heh heh."laughed Keith Ross, who looked up..

"OLIVIA?? OLIVIA BENNETT??? OH MY GOD!!!" he said..

There she was....The pretty little recent law school grad who used to clerk for him and his partner, Hoagie..She was still as pretty as she was then....in fact, she had filled out...She was more womanly..he mused.

"Mr. Ross...Oh my god...Hiiiiiiii!"said Olivia......

He momentarily walked over to our table..He hugged Olivia a little too long for my tastes, but I didn't say anything...He looked over at Beverly...

"Is that Babygirl?  That's your niece, Beverly?" he said..

"Hiiiii Mr. Ross."said Beverly.. 

"Lawd today...both of them have really filled out, blossomed.." he mused.

He hugged her and spun her around..She giggled...

"That's her...She's my partner in my law firm.." said Olivia..

"Yes..I heard you two have your own practice now...So is this your staff?" he said looking at the rest of us.."


"Yes it is...This is my HUSBAND, Donnie Ray Alexander...He's a former Homicide Detective and now our investigator.. Guys this is Attorney Keith Ross...He was once Hoagie's law partner."said Olivia.

"Ohhhh, we were out with him a few nights ago...Pleased to meet you.."I said. I could see the disapointment in his face when Olivia said HUSBAND..It amused me to no end..


"This is my husband, Attorney Nelson East...He is an Associate Attorney with our firm.."said Beverly...


"Pleased to meet you again Mr. Ross."said Nelson..


"I remember you...You used to work with Olivia and Beverly at the Public Defenders Office..Olivia brought you to my former partner too...So you and Beverly are married now, ohhhhhhhhhhhh! Good for you!!"said Keith Ross...


He cast his eyes on Josie...

"LAWD TODAY THIS GIRL HAS SOME MELLONS ON HER!" he thought to himself, staring at her cleavage...



"This is Ms. Josie Boyd...Our newest Associate Attorney...Just passed the bar last year..."said Olivia ,gushing with pride..''She started out as our Para-legal." she said.


"YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!...I'm sure, she is getting a great education, being around all you seasoned young attorneys..."he laughed..

His client had fallen out of his chair again..


flat on his face...


"Oh My God!" said Beverly...
'
''Did he hit his head?"asked Josie..



Nelson and I helped him up off the floor.. He had a knot on his head.. I got a cold towel for him..


"I'm sorry Olivia and staff...I'd love to stay longer, but that's my client..We uh had a bad day in court today.....I've ..I've got to get him together.."said Keith Ross..

"I perfectly understand...Do what you have to do.."said Olivia...shaking her head...
"I've never had an innebriated client...I just wouldn't stand for that." she said quietly..
I believed her.

"Come on Steve, let's go home.." said Attorney Ross..
"I'M DRUNK!" he said..
Talk about stating the obvious!

IV-

TWO DAYS LATER-


The Offices of Carmaichel and Ross, Attorneys at Law..


"Well, Well , Mr. Franklin T. Carmaichel...States Attorney Elect...Who would have thought it?" said Attorney Jeffrey Walker.
"I know you didn't Jeff."said Hoagie..



"No I didn't....You know and I know that I was supposed to get that nomination from the party and that the only reason you got it was affirmative action...The party wanted to...needed to run a minority candidate this time around...but it doesn't mean you are qualified.." said an angry Jeffrey Walker.

"Jeff, Jeff, your hood is showing...Is that why you changed your party affilliation from Democratic to Republican ,so you could run against me since you didn't the nod?  Well it didn't work, you still lost."said Hoagie..


"I lost because Philadelphia is a blue city and more important, a majority Black city...but you know and I know...I should have won that election...but that's okay, allegations are coming out that may get me that States Attorney Nod after all.."said Jeff Walker.

"What Allegations?" asked Hoagie..


"Oh your partner hasn't told you about Steve Hough?" asked Jeff Walker.

"Yes, he told me he's having trouble with him in this corruption case...Steve is breaking down on the stand.." said Hoagie..


"Breaking down? That's a nice way to put it..The man is on the verge of a nervous breakdown...He's about to name names...of people who helped him fix a trial involving the late gangster, Rollie Fingers..Naming names like you, like former Judge Mathis , you both conspired with him to fix a juror, and a cop, who may have manufactured evidence in that case...It resulted in Fingers being acquitted and it resulted in the Judge being paid a hefty sum....He left the bench right after the trial and a year later , He and Sam Hough were both Counsel and Co-Counsel for the Bridgerton Investment group....a nice pay off huh?   As soon as he names you as a co-conspirator, you are done pal..I can't wait."said Jeff Walker..  "Oh and how ironic...Your law partner is his attorney...Heh heh heh." he said.
"You're off your nut....I barely know Sam Hough....I had one conversation with him years ago...at dinner...That was hit...I didn't help him do anything..I don't know Rollie Fingers.."said Hoagie.

"We'll never know....Fingers is dead...but some damaging notes was found amongst his things...Which is why Hough is on trial...This should be interesting.."laughed Jeff Walker.

"It's a whole lotta nothing and my hands are clean..."said Hoagie.

"The hell they are...You're as dirty as hell.." said Jeff Walker.


Miles away at our office...


Olivia and I were in our domicile enjoying a sweet kiss...

''Donnie Ray ,we've been up here for about an hour...I just came up here to get a document..You didn't need to follow me up here.."whispered Olivia in my ear..

"I know, but uh I uh needed to see you.."I said.


We continued kissing...

"You see me allll day long...Come on now...If we don't stop, they're all going to think we are up here doing something..."said Olivia.

"We are doing something.." I said...

While downstairs...

Josie had left to go to court.....

"Ummmmmmmm baby let's go upstairs and get comfortable..Josie is gone for the day and Auntay
and Donnie Ray are probably already in bed..."whispered Nelson..
"Okayyyyyyy."said Nelson..

Beverly and Nelson were standing over in a corner kissing as passionately as her aunt and I upstairs..

While feet away in the kitchen..



our office manager, Alfreda and her boyfriend, Assistant District Attorney, Rockland Cambridge,


were also embraced in a passionate kiss.


"It's about time for me to go home...Let me lock up and cut the lights and we can go to my place and get comfortable...She whispered to Rockland, rubbing her index finger across his lips..


While across the city...


in a tony apartment complex...


Crime Scene Investigators and a full forensic team were investigating a suspicious death...

"His door was open when we got here and he was lying face up in the living room floor Doc."

Dr. Hazel Baylor kneeled down observed the body.....

"No broken bones...No stab wounds or punctures...Judging by the smell and the blue spittle around the mouth...I'd say he took barbituates..." she said..  "Body temp indicates he's been dead for two maybe three hours.."she added..


"Look doc...a half empty bottle of subscribed Barbituates..I found it on the floor over here...It's subscribed to F. Carmaichel..." he said.


There was a half drank glass of beer on the table..


"He shouldn't have been taking Barbituates this strong...with alcohol..This isn't even his prescription..who is this man?" asked Hazel..


"I know who he is...He's my client..His name is Steven Hough...He didn't show up in court today...I came to check up on him..I'm his Attorney .How is he doc?" asked Keith Ross.


"He's dead!!!! Looks like an overdose..Possible suicide or case of misadventure.." said Hazel..


"I'm the Detective on the scene...I'll determine that!"said Lt. Tragg barging in with two uniform police officers and two detectives..

Hazel sighed -She hated that Lt. Tragg was on the case...He was such a butthead..

"I beg to differ Lieutenant....As Deputy Medical Examiner...I MAKE THE CALL!"said Hazel.

Lt. Tragg held the pill bottle up..

"I BEG TO DIFFER...THIS IS A BOTTLE OF BARBITUATES, prescribed for a heart condition..and for a guy who drinks this much...it's murder..Trust me...I've seen this before..Now we have to figure out who is "F.Carmaichel."?" said Lt. Tragg.

"I know who that is...That's my law partner...But what is his pills doing here?" asked Keith Ross..

"Yessssss what? Suppose we ask him?" said Lt. Tragg.  "Get that body out of here...Hazel, I want a full autopsy done and the results on my desk ASAP!"said Lt. Tragg.

Hazel gritted her teeth....She prayed he'd screw up so bad the department would send him back out on the boat or even better ,finally fire him...


They packed the body up and put it on a stretcher and moved it out...



We were miles away and with no idea that our next case was opening up!

(TO BE CONTINUED)


No comments:

Post a Comment