Wednesday, November 18, 2020

Mr. Porter, I Presume!



 

San Francisco Morning was like any major city, quiet at first ,with the threat of the noise and hustle and bustle that was to follow.

Olivia suggested we all get up early and be about our business first and then eat...


We drove through the streets until we found the building Teel had told us was the heaquarters of her former law firm, Cohen and Bashir.

''We should have never of  let Larry North talk us into going out drinking after we had dinner." said Beverly , who was slightly hung over..
"You are absolutely right Neicey Poo...but this won't take long..We are just meeting with Joseph Porter's Attorney and discussing the particulars of the case. Then we can go get coffee and breakfast."said Olivia with a smile.
"I could use a good cup of coffee right now." I said.. My head was probably the clearest of us all..
"Me too!" said Nelson..."How bout you Jo?" he asked Josie who had been sleeping on the other side of his shoulder in the backseat...with Beverly on the opposite side..
"Ditto." said Josie..
 


I expected a much taller building than what we found...but it was just the same...I wanted to get this over with as fast as possible , so I could eat...I think we all did,


It was incredible looking inside...Bright colors...a huge lounge with sofas and lawn chairs and small open offices..
"WOW! LOOK AT THIS PLACE!!" said Nelson.
"This is beautiful!" said Josie.
"WOWWWWWW! How could Teel leave a place like this?" asked Beverly..
''Surroundings Don't make the job Neicey Poo...People do...Relationships..."said Olivia.

"Liv is right....but I sure could stay in a spot like this for awhile.." I said looking around..

Just then a young Black man walked over to us..

"You must be the Attorney from Philadelphia that Teel sent to help with the case..." he said to me.
"I'm not....I'm the Investigator....She is the Attorney...That's my wife, Attorney Olivia Bennett-Alexander , 


her neice, Attorney Beverly West, 


her husband, 


Attorney Nelson East and



 Attorney Josie Boyd..and yes we are here from Philadelphia." I said.

He smiled, especially at the females in our group...".DAMN!! ALL THREE OF EM IS FINE!" he thought to himself..

"Niceeeee....I'm Attorney Rick Lawson....Richard Lawson...I'm the attorney representing Joseph Porter..I was able to get him released on bail last week...He knows that you guys are coming and he'll be here in about an hour...You guys eat yet?  I'm starving...There is a cafeteria here.." he said.

"Oh God, you're an answer to a girl's prayers..." said Beverly...

"Oh God Yessss."said Josie..

"Well, follow me.." he said, smiling... Such cute girls, he mused...

"Might not be such a bad day after all." I said and took Olivia by the arm..
"You might be right husband.."said Olivia.
"Lead the way." said Nelson..

II-


The building had a very nice stylish cafeteria..

Pancakes 
Hash Browns
Sausages

Omelettes to order

and Hot Coffee ruled the day...



"I know the lovely Ms. Teel Porter has filled you in on the particulars of the case, but just in case she hasn't...Let me explain them to you..."said Rick Lawson.

"He's cute!" whispered Josie to Beverly..
"He is.." whispered Beverly back and the two girls smiled conspiratorially to each other..


"Joseph Porter , who I have been assisting since I came here from the Public defender's office was dating a beautiful young attorney named.Lorena Love.  We worked on a bond case with her...That's how they met..That was two years ago...

After a whirlwind courtship...They moved in together...Probably not the best thing for their relationship...She was a very beautiful woman and very flirtatious...It drove him crazy...They fought all the time..

The night she died..They had a very violent row....At a club...I'll give you the name and addresses of the club and all of the witnesses and their addresses as well as the name of the man she was with.." said Rick Lawson.

''Were you there?" asked Olivia.
"I was ...In fact I kept him from breaking the jaw of the  man she was with...They really weren't doing anything, just drinking and talking in a booth.....I believe he had bought her another drink...Mr. Porter came in with tunnel vision..He said..."I thought you were sick? " and she said "I felt better and felt like getting out.." An altercation almost occurred between Mr. Porter and Ike Tolliver, the man she was with, but I got in between them...Mr. Porter straightened his clothes, got in his car and said he was just going to be out driving, getting his head together,.He drove off and that was the last time I saw him.."said Rick Lawson.
''What did Ms. Love do? Did she leave with this guy?" asked Nelson.

"No..He wanted to go with her, and they had a little dispute, but she left by herself..

According to Mr. Porter, He drove to Daley City, Oakland ,Berkley and Richmond...He didn't get home until 7:00 am and he found her drowned in their jacuzzi...He called the police.. Problem is...This neighbor from across the street swears he saw Mr. Porter , or a man in his bathrobe strangle her in the Jacuzzi."said Richard Lawson..

"Okay...I know where I'm going to start from." I said.

"I should warn you...The detective in charge of this case is a real piece of work...Quick to arrest someone, Likes being seen on TV and being interviewed by  reporters..."said Rick.

"Ummmph, who does that sound like?" said Beverly..
"I know right?" said Olivia.

"Here comes Mr. Porter now!"said Rick.


A Handsome Black man walked over to us...

"Wellll look at this...The famous Olivia Bennett-Alexander and her niece, Mrs. Beverly West-East....You all need no introduction....I have followed you both...and I uh know your brother, Jimmy West, Olivia....I've been on his TV show and we play racquetball from time to time.. He talks about his famous little sister and daughter all the time.

Teel told me she actually tried a case against you guys in court...She said she'd deliver you and she did.."said Attorney Joseph Porter, murder suspect.

"Teel was a good woman, a good wife...I regret breaking up with her...Now she's with someone else...Someone who appreciates what I didn't..."he said in a moment of unusual self reflection.

"But...that's water under the bridge....I'm in trouble folks...I didn't kill Lorena.. I wanted to at times, but I didn't....I couldn't have...I was driving all night long...Oakland, Berkeley, Richmond, Daley City ,I made stops for gas and a meal and a drink....I told that Bone headed Detective all of that and he still arrested me and charged me...Hell, I called the police when the body was found...Would a Killer do that?" said Joseph Porter.


"Well how nice to finally meet you...You practically argued your own case" said Olivia, laughing..


"I'm sorry , I-I- just get so choked up when I think about all this... Teel says I need to relax....Teel is good like that...I take it you've seen her since you've been in town?" he said.

"Yes ,We were with Teel last night. She had dinner with us." said Beverly...


"Glad she is doing well...You must be Donnie Ray." he said to me./

"I am...Pleased to meet you.."I said..
"And I'm Nelson East.."said Nelson..
"Beverly's husband....right??..."said Joseph Porter...."I don't believe I know you little lady.." he said to Josie..


"I'm Josie Boyd, the newest attorney in the group.."giggled Josie..

''Wellllll what a pleasent surprise..Uh I do have one request guys.."asked Joseph Porter.

''What is that?" asked Olivia..

"I'd ask that you keep my young protoge' Rick Lawson on your defense team...He has a lot of information that could be of help and it would give him an incredible education...He began his career as a  Public Defender,,,Much like you guys...Was with them for six years before he resigned and came to work here at this firm....He's a great trial lawyer."said Joseph Porter.


"I don't see where that would be a problem...He has already given us a wealth of information."said Olivia.


"Rick, if you have a phone....I can give you our address and phone number...You can meet with us to discuss strategy, starting tommorrow."said Beverly..
"Thanks guys." said Richard Lawson...Smiling and glad to be part of the team...He expected to be told "Thanks for your time " and pushed away..How decent of them to keep him on the team.
"Oh you're welcome."said Josie, smiling from ear to ear...
Nelson smiled...
"And where will you be staying?" asked Olivia..


"I'll be staying at the Biltmore...Under my own name...I'm just keeping a low profile until after the trial gets started."said Joseph Porter...

"Good enough...We settled everything right here...No need for us to go upstairs...It was nice meeting you...We'll be in touch.."said Olivia.

"It was nice meeting you guys too..." said Joseph Porter.


All in all it was a good meeting..We had all gotten some breakfast and had a productive meeting...
 


 III-

It was nice to be home again....


"Heyyyyy , I missed you guys....."said Kayla..

"You didn't miss us that much, you didn't cook!" joked her cousin , Beverly...


"Wrongggg!  We floured and seasoned the chicken just like Donnie Ray instructed...All he has to do is drop it and the Greens and Candied Yams are in the oven now.."said Ray..


"Seeeeee."said Kayla, sticking her tongue out...
Beverly giggled and hugged her cousin..

''I love my boo boo."she said affectionately...."Boo Boo" was her nickname for her cousin from childhood..The two girls were like sisters..


I kissed Kayla on the cheek..

"It smells good baby." I said as I went to change my clothes.

"Thank you Cousin Donnie Ray." said Kayla.
.
Nelson sat down, qued up his laptop and began to scan articles on the case....
"This has been a good day...We had a very good meeting with our client and another lawyer who will be assisting us."said Olivia.
"Now to get started.." said Beverly, who plopped into her husband's lap...
Nelson put his laptop down , put his arms around Beverly..

"Ummmmm I'd rather get started with you.." he said.
and gave her a slow, ,sloppy , kiss...


"Ummmmm not a bad idea boo.." she said..
as they continued kissing.

"Do you two need to be alone?" asked Olivia, smiling at her niece and her husband..




Josie and Paris were on the sofa kissing passionately also...
as the smell of the food wafted throughout the kitchen...


Fried Chicken


Collard Greens
and Candied Yams....

We had bought a key lime pie for dessert

and hot coffee for everybody...

There was something to fixing your own food and eating in....
IV-


In a bar in downtown San Francisco, 
Detective Kelly O'Reilly was guzzling down a beer when a familliar face walked in....

''Maxy...What do ya know, what do ya say?"he asked..He was expecting him...
"Maxy was Max Goldstein, an Investigator for the D.A.'s Office and a former detective...He had gotten into a little trouble years back and Detective Kelly O'Reilly helped him get the job as an Investigator for the District Attorney's Office...From time to time...He did favors for his old friend..

Today he had a folder , full of photos...He threw them down on the counter..

"Our Boy, 


Joey Porter got himself some new lawyers...Heavy hitters from Philly..." said Max.
"Lawyers from Philly?  You mean he's not gonna let that punk kid, Rick Lawson handle his case?  Ahhh Mr. Porter is just full of surprises.."asked Detective O'Reilly..


"No, he called in some heavy hitters from out of town...I got the book on em...You need to look at this... He showed him photos and biographies..



Olivia Marissa Bennett-Alexander

Born in Philadelphia PA.

Graduated , Philadelphia High School for Girls

B.A. Administration of Justice, Pre-Law-Temple University..

J.D.-University of Pennsylvania Law School

Passed the Bar, Speaks French and Spanish Fluently...

Worked as a Public Defender, Worked for Bach and Roach LLC,
Founding partner-Alexander & West ,attorneys at law..

Divorced- Elwood Barnes..

No Children, two miscarriages..

Married-Donnie Ray Alexander  of New Orleans, Louisiana...



Beverly Cheryl West-East

Born in Philadelphia PA.

Graduated , Philadelphia High School for Girls

B.A. Administration of Justice, Pre-Law-Temple University..

J.D.-University of Pennsylvania Law School

Passed the Bar, Speaks French and Spanish Fluently...

Worked as a Public Defender, Founding Partner-Alexander & West Attorney's at Law.

Daughter of Olivia's Older Brother, James West, San Francisco Television Personality... Niece

Married to Attorney Nelson Sean  East.

Nelson Sean East

Born in Philadelphia PA.

Graduated, West Catholic High School-Philadelphia PA.

B.A. Administration of Justice, Pre-Law- St. Johns University, New York City
Psychology Minor...

J.D. -St. Johns Univeristy School of Law, New York City..

Passed The Bar ,Speaks Spanish, Russian  and French Fluently...

Worked as Public Defender,  Associate Attorney at Robert Foxworth and Associates, Presently Associate Attorney at Alexander and West

Married to Beverly Cheryl West

Donnie Ray Alexander

Born and Raised in New Orleans, Louisiana.

Educated in New Orleans Public Schools..

Associates Degree New Orleans Community College-Administration of Justice, Pre Law

Homicide Detective, New Orleans Police Department, Retired.

Has P.I. Licensce

Principal Investigator, Alexander and West Attorneys at law-Philadelphia PA.

Married to Olivia Marissa Bennett

Also a semi-professional musician

Josephine Boyd

Born in Philadelphia PA.

Raised in Red Hook Section of New York City

Educated in New York City Public Schools

Bachelors of Science, Architecture  from Fisk University

Master in Business Administration- University of Pennsylvania.

Drexel University Law School, J.D.

Passed Bar,

Associate Attorney, Alexander and West, Attorneys at law.

"Very astute bunch! Wowwww..this is good work Max....Joey hired these guys from Philly? What connection does he have to them? I mean, when would their paths have crossed? Some Law school convention or something?" asked O'reilly..


"No, I suspect, but I can't prove that his ex-wife, Assistant District Attorney 


Teel Porter may have called in a favor to them...She prosecuted a murder trial against them two years ago..They beat her...I think one of the only times she's lost a case, and after that they all became quite chummy....She lives with a guy, an Attorney at the San-Francisco Innocence Project...His name is 


Larry North...He's from Philly..He worked with Olivia Bennett-Alexander and her niece, Beverly West-East and Nelson East at the Public Defender's Office in Philly...They are old friends of his."said Max.
"Him I know!!!.....I can't stand him!.....Where are these attorneys from Philly staying?" asked Detective O'Reilly..
"I don't know...I checked every Hotel and Motel in between here and Oakland and they aren't registered..I thought maybe they were staying with him or Ms. Porter, but they aren't....I checked James West...He's the older brother of Olivia and the father of Beverly....They aren't staying with him and his wife either..There are no cars rented in their names either." said Max.

"Hmmmm that means maybe someone else is here with them and the car is rented in that person's name...They've got to have transportation....Doesn't matter where they are staying...I can not afford to blow this case....I've put together a solid case...I've got to win this case....The ADA's don't want to work with me..I've lost my last ten cases....or rather they have....I've been the laughing stock of the press and none of the local talk shows call me any more...I win this case and I'm redeemed...I'm back on top."said Detective O'Reilly....

(What he didn't know was that both of the SUV's we rented were in other people's name..One was in Kayla St. Jacques name and the other was in Paris's name..Nothing that would lead anybody to this address. This address belonged to McCluskey/Cozen/Connor and Pratt law firm.)

"Kelly Relax, you got it made...You got an eyewitness for godsakes...You got his wet bathrobe....You got witnesses to the argument she had.....You got this puppy locked up man, relax..."said Max..


"Yeah, you're right....Hey Joe...Another beer for my friend here."said Detective Kelly O'Reilly...


Dinner was over,




Olivia, Beverly, Nelson and Josie had law books and laptops and tablets spread all over the living room..


A very comfortable living room at that..



Even though they were not involved in this case...Kayla and her husband, Ray provided two pairs of fresh eyes and were looking over the case and helping out....

Teel dropped by to see how we were making out...She was quite impressed...

"I knew I was right when I contacted you guys." she said..

The doorbell rang...


Paris opened the door...He and I had just finished washing the dishes and putting things away...

"Hey..uh are you here to see Olivia, Beverly and Donnie Ray?" he asked.

It was Attorney, Rick Lawson....

"Uh yeah...I uh am..." said Rick... "I'm uh another attorney working on the case.." he explained..


He had a bottle of wine with him.... He scanned the living room....Not only did he see the five of us, 
But more people..



''Rick, come in.."I said.
''Sorry you missed dinner...We are working on the case..Come on in."said Olivia.
"We can make you a plate...There is still some food left...We'll have to Microwave it.."said Beverly..
"Grab a seat.."said Nelson, who pulled up a chair..
''We'll be back with your plate."said Josie, who joined Beverly in the kitchen.


Paris helped them....Rick noticed from the body language that Paris, who let him in must be involved with Josie....


It made sense that women as attractive as these three, would either be married or involved, he mused.

"Yes, come in Rick....This is my cousin, Attorney Kayla Bennett St. Jacques...She's not exactly involved in this case, but since she's here with us...She'll be helping.."said Olivia.



"Pleased to meet you, This is my husband, Ray...He's also an Attorney.."said Kayla.
"Hey man, come on in....I see you got a bottle with you."said Ray..


Rick smiled....

"Yes...I uh thought I'd come over and help out...I have the uh Autopsy report, Crime Scene Photos and the Arrest report..and witness statements..." he said.
"Ouuuu then you're the guy we want to talk to.."said Olivia. "Come in..We don't bite." she said and smiled warmly.

His face lit up when he saw Teel...

"Hi Teel....You look incredible as usual....." he said, smiling from ear to ear... "And you smell great!" he added.

"Hello Rick...Thank you!"said Teel non-chalantly....smiling.

"Girrrrrrrrl, it's a good thing Larry is my friend....Rick is foinnnnne and you've got his nose so wide open you could drive a truck through it.."whispered Beverly to Teel..


"Poor thing! He is a cutey pie...but Bev...I'd hurt that boy...He couldn't handle this..  All jokes aside..  I know this will sound corny...but I love Larry...I'm in love with him...Hopelessly in love and I just don't see anybody else..Tunnelvision ,I suppose."said Teel..

"That's not corny at all Teel...That's sweet...."said Beverly....

''Well this afternoon is going to be very productive.." said Olivia, smiling..

(TO BE CONTINUED)

No comments:

Post a Comment