Tuesday, July 12, 2022

Laura, Dead!


 MONDAY MORNING!


We were having breakfast at our office duplex...We had two special guests...


"Olivia....Donnie Ray, this is some set up you have here." said Saxophonist, Bishop Coogan...He hadn't told a soul that he had discovered the lifeless body of Laura Costnor yesterday.. But Melody Baker, his attorney and fiance noticed he was somewhat disheveled when he returned to the hotel room and downed a lot of alcohol...
"Livy girl....I am sooooo proud of you..." said Melody , who had known Olivia and Yvette in law school.

Alfreda, Olivia and I prepared breakfast this Morning...
"It's Cozy...We like it.."said Alfreda with a smile as she made Eggs to Order...
Olivia and I poured pancakes  and flipped them...
"I've created a dream enviroment..A friendly and warm workplace where  my employees don't have to commute and have no excuse for being late." joked Olivia...

Beverly, Nelson, Josie and Bresha sat around the table..
"Considering, half of our team lives in this building.. there is no reason why, but it can happen." joked Beverly...
Nelson rubbed her legs and squeezed her a little bit.. She giggled..
"This is so comfortable...We all actually like coming to work.." said Josie.
"Yes, it is very enjoyable...Much more enjoyable than I ever dreamed." said Bresha.

"Happy employees and well fed employees are the best employees." laughed Bishop.

As Pancakes , Eggs made to order, Hash Browns, Sausage, Fresh squeezed Orange Juice and hot coffee was served..









We all chowed down...


After Breakfast, we took them on a tour...Beverly and Nelson's domicile downstairs...
Our Law Library
and our media room...

and finally our conference room

"Our friends across the street all work here remotely from time to time and use our law library, Free of charge.." said Olivia.
''When we first moved here...We were all alone except for two wonderful old ladies who lived across the street...They both died not too long after. They used to look out for us.. All of those houses were brand new.. As you can see ,over the years all of our friends and associates moved across the street, down the street and around the corner and we are as you saw this weekend..A close knit group." said Beverly...
"And as you see ,living in this area has it's perks, Three shopping centers with every store imaginable, a movie complex and three clubs, Josie's Aqua Bar and Stoleys..." said Nelson.
"I remember when this area was nothing but old warehouses and empty feilds... Now it has new housing, Lofts, Condos, Apartment complexes...Clubs and restaurants...and an influx of young people..
Very nice... Very cool place to live.." said Melody.
"Very cool area of the city...and you're  just miles from the city limits into Bayside." laughed Bishop..

''So you guys hanging around for awhile?" asked Josie.
"No...We are leaving Wednesday....We've got business in New York ."said Bishop..



"Now that we know where you guys are...We''ll come back and spend some time with you..." said Melody...
''That'll be nice." said Bresha.
"Yeah...I'll get to sit in with this guy, after all these years." I said,Laughing.
"I can't wait Donnie Ray... We had some times in New Orleans.Didn't we?" laughed Bishop..

"Oh My God!" I laughed.
"Here we go....Tall Tales." laughed Olivia..
"I know right?" said Melody...

The Bell rang and there was loud knocking on the door..
''I'll get it Liv." said Alfreda..

To her surprise.. Lt. Tragg was at the door with a warrant.. A Tactical Squad and members of the Press outside, snapping photos and asking questions...

She was furious..

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?" she said.
"I have a warrant for your guest's arrest Mrs. Cambridge." Lt. Tragg said snarkily 
as he  and several tactical squad officers barged inside...

Alfreda wouldn't let the reporters in...She slammed the door in their faces...


as cameras continued to pop...


"Well Olivia, it has been awhile hasn't it? Bishop Coogan, I have a warrant for your arrest for the murder of Laura Costnor...You have the right to remain silent..Anything you say, can and will be used against you in a court of law...You have the right to an attorney...If you can not afford one...Which is highly unlikely..One will be provided to you...I'm sure you understand these rights as I am reading them to you.Heh heh heh...Hook him up boys..." said Lt. Tragg..

''Don't You Ever Get tired of hearing yourself talk?" asked a very irritated Beverly... She hated him coming to their office to bother them...She so envied our friends who worked in the Bridge Building.. Lt. Tragg had no idea they all worked there...He didn't bother them during the week..
"Lt. Tragg, this must be some mistake...Bishop has been with us most of the weekend.." said Olivia.
"This must be a mistake... I've killed no one." said Bishop.
''Don't say anything baby...We got you."said his fiance Melody..

"No My dear...WE GOT HIM!!!...THE PHILADELPHIA POLICE DEPARTMENT! COME ON LET'S GO...I Expect to be seeing you and your gang a little later Liv..Heh heh heh..."laughed Lt. Tragg as they walked past us..



I stood stoic with a stunned Nelson, Josie and Bresha.
''Damn, Laura Costnor, dead....I can't believe it!" said Nelson...
"Laura Costnor, dead....I can't believe it either.! We just saw her Saturday Night." said Josie.

''This must be a mistake.."said Bresha..

''Don't worry Mel, we'll get to the bottom of this." said Olivia.

"We have the suspected murderer of renowned Jazz Singer Laura Costnor , Bishop Coogan in custody...We suspect her death was the result of a lovers quarrel."said Lt. Tragg as he marched him out of our Office/Duplex.
"You don't know what the hell you're talking about." protested Bishop Coogan..
As an armed tactical squad followed them into the street.

''Will Olivia and Beverly be handling his defense?" asked one reporter..


"I'm one hundred percent certain they will, you know how they like to attach themselves to every controversial case...and he was having breakfast with them...probably lawyering up!"laughed Lt. Tragg, every hair in place.. Nice tailored suit, shiny expensive shoes... Perfect for the press..

"Look at him, making Bishop do the perp walk in front of the media ,which just happened to be in front of our house.. and practically saying the man is guilty before he's even had a hearing." snarled a very angry Beverly...


"He's winning the war of Public Opinion already." sighed Nelson.

"If it's the last thing I do...I'm going to take that snarky smile off of his face." said Olivia..


"Don't you worry Mel...we got this." I said.



She hugged Josie and Bresha and smiled..

"I know you do...I'm not even worried." she said.


II-


A little while later, I had taken Mel back to their hotel....and then I had gone and gotten the Crime scene report and the Autopsy and the Evidence reports... I then headed back to our Office/Duplex..

Olivia looked at me...

"How bad is it Donnie Ray? I mean do they even have a case against him?" she asked.


"It's pretty bad...They have his prints and his DNA all over the room....In the bathroom, in the kitchen, on the bedroom door...et al, plus several people on the floor, eight floors above where he and Melody were staying who said they saw him in her room quite a few times.." I said.


''Well that's nothing... She was part of his act...She sang with his band...Of course he'd be in her room to go over songs, material..."said Beverly...


"It's worse... They found three loaded condoms in the waste basket....The semen is a match....a DNA match for him...Her next door neighbors on both sides of her said they heard the two of them having sex  Friday afternoon, from about 4:00 in the afternoon until midnight..." I said.

"When we were having dinner with Mel...waiting for him....He told her he was recording a session with Meek Rollins." snarled Olivia, now very disappointed with Bishop...


 ''Meek Rollins not only did not have a recording session....He wasn't in town Friday Night...He was in Margate with some friends...I checked..


"Okay, he had sex with her Friday Afternoon, Doesn't mean he killed her...He was with us all morning Sunday...It says here the estimated time of death was a little after twelve noon... He was enroute to his hotel with Mel then....Police didn't find the body until 6:00  pm." said Nelson.


"Two witnesses say around 5:30 , they saw him kneeling over her body in the middle of the living room floor and hours before, around 12:00 PM, they heard a loud argument between her and a male, they can't say who and then a loud thump!" I said.,

"It could have been someone else... Like Nelson said.. He was enroute to his hotel with Mel then."said Josie.
"You're right...Someone else was up there..but who?" I asked.

''He'll have to tell us that..When we go to see him..."said Olivia.


"The only character witnesses we can get is his band members..." said Bresha..."I'll work on that." she said.
"Josie and I will find a judge." said Beverly...
''Yeah. We have time, but we'd be better get on this right away." said Josie.


''Poor Mel." said Olivia, shaking her head.


''We might as well get started." said Nelson.


Meanwhile at the edge of Northeast Airport... Two Cars drove up...There was no one else here.. No lights, no cameras..




In the first car, a tall Bald headed black man was at the wheel..


"I'm glad you showed up on time youngin." he said.

"Hey man what's up?" said the younger man..


''What's Up?  Man you killed my money chicken....I was gonna sign that girl  to a contract that would have made me a cool million dollars...Once I got my cut of her touring and her recording contract. Now, the record company has naturally pulled out and so has the tour management agency...I'm ass out..You screwed up." said the bald headed ,heavy se man..

"Hey man look, there are lots of singers out here..I'll , I'll find you someone else.. Just give me a little time...And dig, it's all good, the police arrested the band leader, charged him with the murder...So I'm free and clear." laughed the younger man..


''You're free and clear? That's all you talkin bout?  I lost my chance for the big time and all you care about is that someone else got pinched for a murder YOU COMMITED? Damn boy...You've put me in a bad situation.. This wouldn't have happened at all if you hadn't tried to get with her and then got so irritated when she turned you down...I told you she was out of your league....But nooooooo, you had to keep on trying and got all emotional over her...That's why you couldn't think  straight and you got emotional and strangled her." said the bald headed man..


"Whatever man...Hey man, relax...I-I- I'm all over it..." said the younger man..

"Nah, I can't afford another screw up.... You aint all over nothing... All you are is dead!" said the bald headed man.


He produced a silencer and shot the young man right between the eyes...killing him instantly... The bullet exited the back of his head. He shot him three more times in the chest for good measure.

The younger man's dead body fell on the steering wheel and the horn began blowing loudly...


He pulled off at top speed...



leaving the younger man slumped over the steering wheel..dead, with the horn blowing...



III-
Bishop Coogin sat in the "Fishbowl" , the nickname the detectives gave the interrogation room for three hours...
And for three hours he said not a word...
Lt. Tragg questioned him, cajoled him, threatened him, explained to him what it's like when you get executed by lethal injection or by the state's new Gas Chamber, which he was reportedly eligible for.
Bishop looked at Lt. Tragg like a deaf mute and said not a word..


"You don't have to talk to me... We've got your prints all over her hotel room and even better, three loaded condoms with your semen...We got a DNA match....and we got an eyewitness who saw you hovering over the body...We got you!" snarled Lt. Tragg.

"This place actually smells halfway decent...Did you air it out? Mop the floors?? very good! It needed it." said Olivia.

Nelson was with her... He tossed Bishop a bottle of water..

"Here guy, you look like you could use this." he said..   He took a deep breath... "You're right Liv, first time I could take a deep breath in here in awhile.. It does smell better..." he said.


''Thanks Good Brother." said Bishop as he devoured the bottle of water.. He was very thirsty.


"I expected you down here Olivia...What took you so long?" laughed Lt. Tragg.


''I wanted to wait until all of the press was gone, so I could slip in quietly." said Olivia.

''You only brought one of your associates...Where is your niece and your two girl Fridays?" Asked Lt. Tragg..."And where is Hubby?" he also asked. He got nervous when he didn't see all of us.  That meant we were up to something in his mind.. He was right..we were.
''I don't need everyone here...They're off doing other work related to the case.. You'll see them soon enough." said Olivia.

Beverly, Josie and Bresha walked up behind her just then...


"Hey Auntay, we got you a Judge." said Beverly.

''Arraignment is tomorrow at 10:00 AM, Courtroom B." said Josie.




"I got seven character witnesses." said Bresha..
 




"You've got quite an efficient little team...but they can't help you...Your guy is guilty..guilty as sin."said Lt. Tragg.

"You always say that...but all you've got is very circumstantial evidence...Condoms with semen says consensual sex, safe sex even,  not murder... Fingerprints in a hotel room?? Really?? She was in his band, he would be in her room.. an "eyewitness" who HEARD them having sex...really Lieutenant?? Some people who heard an argument, but didn't see who she was arguing with and can't identify the voice.. You'd better go back over this case and come with something more sufficient.. because if I'm shooting down your arguments by myself right now...what do you think will happen in court after my husband does a full investigation, which he is doing right now/" said Olivia.

Lt. Tragg was a s red as a beet...He knew he needed a confession and having failed at that.. He knew he needed to go back over that crime scene.. He didn't like a woman telling him what he needed to do as far as detective work, so he stubbornly refused to dig any deeper.. He merely walked out of the room as I entered.


"Heyyy..I interviewed all of the so called witnesses...Except for the one that saw him standing over the body, the others don't know him, couldn't identify him when they saw his photo or the voice they heard in the argument...Tragg has little to nothing." I said.


"I didn't kill her...I swear....I went up to her room...I knocked on the door and it was open...When I went in she was already dead, I swear... I stood over the body, then I panicked and fled...Maybe I should have called the cops...but I was scared..Scared this very thing was gonna happen, that I get accused of this."said Bishop.

''Okay relax...We are going to try to get you arraigned and out of here tomorrow morning."said Olivia.

''Don't say anything to anyone about your case...Trust no one in here." said Beverly.

 

"Got'cha." said Bishop...


''Be Easy Greasy.. We're on the case baby." I said.

''Like Oatmeal ,no butter baby!" said Bishop.







Olivia, Nelson, Beverly, Josie and Bree smiled, listening to me and Bishop talk Musician and New Orleans slang..We might as well have been talking a foreign language..


Lt. Tragg was livid that Olivia had torn his entire non-investigation down in one conversation...We hadn't even gotten started yet..



Back at our Office /Duplex

"OUUUUUUUUU YOU ARE THE HORNIEST MAN ALIVE!!! OUUUUUUUUUUUUUU ,SO DAMN HARD AND SO BIG....OUUUUUUUUU!" moaned Alfreda. She and Rockland were kissing passionately in the kitchen...They had been for the past HALF HOUR!


Her new Husband, Assistant District Attorney Rockland Cambridge was off early today and had come over while we were in court.. 
"Open your pants." Rockland moaned in between hot smouldering kisses.

"Rocklanddddddddd." Alfreda said, kissing him... She did as he asked and he unhooked her bra


and  slipped her panties down...

"OUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU ROCKLAND!!!!! OH MY GODDDD! COME ON...I'M AT WORK.. " !" she exclaimed...

"AND SO AM I.." he laughed..

"OUUUUUUUUUUUUUU YOU ARE SO NASTY!" she laughed.


He had her in the kitchen...hoisted in the air.. Thrusting deep inside of her...

"OUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU HANDLE YOUR BUSINESS, HANDLE YOUR BUSINESS MAN!!!! OUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!
OUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU HANDLE YOUR BUSINESS, HANDLE YOUR BUSINESS MAN!!!! OUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU! HANDLE ALL OF THIS DAMN BUSINES...WHOOOOO LAWDDDD YOU ARE SO HARD.,.....SOOOO BIG....OUUUUUUUUUUUUU BABY, HANDLE ALL OF THIS BUSINESs! " she yelled as he thrusted with wild abandon inside of her.. sweating and driven to the point of deliriousness.

"OHHHHHHHH ALFREDA....YOU DRIVE ME OUT OF MY DAMN MIND, YOU'RE SO SEXY....UMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!" he moaned...

The past HOUR AND A HALF they were really going at it..


"OUUUU WE ARE GONNA GET CAUGHT ONE OF THESE DAYS! OUUUU" Alfreda wailed, her head turning from side to side..Her body trembling..

"NOT TODAY!" Rockland moaned.. "Alfreda ,I love you!" he cried out..

"Ouuuuuuuuuuuuuu Rockland.. I KNOW YOU DO.... I LOVE YOU TOO!!!! OUUUUUUUUUUUUUU, UMMMMMMMMMMPH!!! YOU ALWAYS SAY WE AREN'T GOING TO GET CAUGHT....WHOOOOOOOO LAWDDD, YOU ARE SO BIG AND SO HARDDDD,OUUUUUUU!" she whispered.

"YOU ARE SO DAMN SEXY, I CAN'T CONTROL MY ERECTIONS WHEN YOU'RE AROUND ME....OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!" he moaned.

"Ohhhh hush up horny toad!" she laughed....

ANOTHER HOUR PASSED BY

Alfreda's body trembled.. She had an intense orgasm and Rockland couldn't control himself either.. He too came with wild abandon...

"OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!" he yelled out to the top of his lungs....

"UMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM ,HMMMMMMMM!" she moaned..


"OUUUUUUUUUUUUU!" he moaned...

"Ouuuuuuuuuuuu Rockland..." she cooed ,leaning up against him..both of them laughing...and kissing a little more..

They finished...They straightened their clothing.. They took turns using the bathroom to clean themselves up..

They didn't notice that the bell was ringing until afterwords...


"OHHHHH WHO THE HELL IS IT?" said Rockland, thinking it was Lt. Tragg.

"We'll never know if I don't answer it, will we?" said Alfreda.


Alfreda went to the door..

It was Karen Walker, the horrible comedian from Saturday Night...She had on the same clothes from Saturday Night and her breath smelled like a liquor store...

"Is Olivia and and and Beverly here?" she asked.


Alfreda winced... Karen's breath smelled so strong and so bad...


"When ...When...When..When you see them...Tell...Tell..Tell them to call me, get in touch with me...I got something to telllllllllllthem...Nelson knows my number..." she said and walked away..
''Okay...I will." said Alfreda, closing the door quickly,...

"Whooooooo her breath smelled like hell." said Alfreda.,
"That was the comedian from Saturday Night." said Rockland.
" Yeah ,She looks like she hasn't been home or been to sleep since Saturday Night." said Alfreda.


"What did she want?" asked Rockland..


"She just said she needed to talk to Olivia and Beverly..." said Alfreda.



IV-
We were having dinner at our place tonight... I loved these dinners and I loved cooking... Most of all I loved my wife and her niece and all of our friends... Alfreda  and I and Olivia were frying chicken amd fish and seasoning the food.. Beverly was helping prepare the food too!

"Tall dark and southern, you really know how to season food...I'm learning so much from you,." said Alfreda, who was quite a cook herself.
"That's the New Orleans in me...but you and my wife and your daughter are quite good cooks yourselves.." I said, returning the complement..
"Alfreda and my mama taught us." said Olivia.
''Yes, I remember those Saturdays when Grandmama would have me, Auntay, Kayla and Ms. Yvette over teaching us how to cook and we'd prepare a whole meal just like we are doing today." said Beverly.

"That explains why you two love entertaining...and are so good at it."said Nelson, who was setting the table.


"Yesssss." said Josie, who was making Cornbread.

Bresha was preparing a salad....



Attorney Melody Baker was our guest this afternoon... She had packed an overnight bag and was going to stay in the spare room in Beverly and Nelson's Domicile.. Like our floor it had it's own Bathroom and shower..

"I'm so thankful for Olivia and Beverly's hospitality... Lt. Tragg has had two plainclothes men shadowing me ever since the arrest,..I'm sure they know I'm here right now." said Melody.

She sat with Rockland,  Paris and Tony in the living room.



''Sorry about your experience with Lt. Tragg." said Assistant District Attorney Rockland Cambridge...."I assure you he won't be coming here without a proper warrant." he said.,
"He's a real pain in the ass." said Paris,
"And wrong as two left shoes ." said Tony.

"Dinner  is ready." said Olivia..

FRIED CHICKEN
FRIED FISH
GREENS
CANDIED YAMS
POTATO SALAD
CORNBREAD
A NICE SALAD

And a nice bottle of wine was served..

The doorbell rang!



"Oh No...Is that that dumb Keystone Copper?" asked Melody.

"No it's a surprise...Don't you see I have extra plates set?" said Olivia.

"SURPRISEEEEE! HI MELLY MEL" said Yvette Jones-Lockwood..  You met my husband the other night and Sunday" said Yvette..
"Vetttieeee!" said Melody, hugging Yvette... "Hi Gary." she said.,She thought Yvett'e husband and his green eyes was fine.
"Heyy Girl." said Gary.



"Sharon Harris,,That's right..Hopkins now...You two finally got married...He loved you so much in Law School." said Melody..
"He still does love me so much, can't keep his hands off me."Joked Sharon..
"Heyyy Mel." said Tony Hopkins..

"I was so  glad when I heard you went back and got your JD.. and passed the bar." said Melody...


We sat down and ate the delicious meal and drank some wine and had  nice quiet conversation

As Alexa played the concert Saturday Night and Laura Costnor's final performance.


Of course we knew we were being monitored by an unmarked police car with shaded windows that sat across the street.

''Subject, Melody Baker is inside the house...She's been there for hours...It looks like they are having some sort of dinner..


"Besides Aunty and Niecy and their staff and their spouses...





"Yvette Jones-Lockwood, Her husband, Gary Lockwood from across the street are in attendance and FBI/ATF Special Agent in charge, Sharon Hopkins and C.I. D. Detective, Tony Hopkins are also in attendance." said one of the plain clothes officers.


"Hmmm what's Liv running...a diner over there?  That's why they never come to Sam Mother's joint..They eat at home." said Lt. Tragg from the office. "Keep me posted." he said.


"Liv , everything was heavenly...Thank you again." said Rockland.
"See you tommorow Livy." said Alfreda.
"See You in court." said Bresha.
"That was a great meal...Thanks again said her husband, Tony..
"Good Night Liv, Beverly...See You tomorrow in court." said Josie.
"Good night." said Paris.
"Good Night Liv, thanks for the invite...Love you girl." said Yvette.
"Good Night guys, great meal." said Gary.
"Good Night Livy...You're gonna have to give me the grand tour of your place." said Sharon.
"Great meal Liv as always..." said Hop as they all departed..




For their homes.


"Lieutenant, everyone has left and gone home, except subject, Melody Baker...My guess is she's going to hole up with Aunty and Neicey for a few days." said the plain clothes officer.


"That's my guess...Alright..bring it in.. Nothing new to see there." said Lt. Tragg.


The car pulled off.


Melody and Beverly helped Olivia wash the dishes and put the left over food away..

"Liv all things considered, this was a great visit..I so enjoyed meeting all of your neighbors and friends and being reunited with our law school chums....I can't thank you enough." said Melody as she put the last plate back.
"Don't be a stranger...I have a very wealthy client , who is paying for us all to vacation in Punta Cana this summer...All we have to provide is airfare...Come join us..The cabins are beautiful and we bring our own food.The lodging is free." said Olivia.
"It's a good time." said Beverly, who pointed to me and Nelson...



We were both dead to the world on the living room couch..

The doorbell rang.

"Who can that be at this time of night?" asked Melody.
Olivia switched on her monitor..



It was Karen Walker.

"Alfreda said she came around earlier, looking for us.. Wonder what she wants?" asked Olivia.

"Maybe she wants to try out her new act on us." said Beverly.


Melody cracked up laughing...She hugged Beverly... "I just love her...I remember when she used to come up to PENN to hang out when we were in law school, just as cute as a button." she said..



Olivia and Beverly went downstairs.

"Hi Karen what's up?" asked Olivia, smelling whiskey on her breath..
Beverly winced.

"Liv, I parked my car around back... I brought an overnight bag with a change of clothes...I need a place to crash for the night.." said Karen.

''A shower and some breath mints wouldn't hurt you either." said Beverly.

"I know...I got somethin to tell you...but I need to get my head right first...Can I crash here and get cleaned up?" asked Karen.

"Of course.. Get your things." said Olivia.


Karen got her things from her overnight bag and Olivia and Beverly took her down to the sub-basement apartment that Rockland and Alfreda spent so many nights in before they got married. There was a bed with fresh sheets and a half bathroom with a shower...

"Get you some rest and when you wake up take a nice hot shower...I'll bring you some clean towels..."said Olivia.
"Thank You Olivia, Thank You Beverly....You two are angels." said Karen.
Beverly smiled.

(TO BE CONTINUED)


No comments:

Post a Comment